crashed hard disk

Old March 26th 06, 02:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default crashed hard disk

"Tim" wrote in message
Hi

I've got a crashed HD with important data on it, for which there's no
backup.

For now, the disk is still recognised in the BIOS most of the time,
wut Windows does not. Linux can see that there is a disk attached, but
cannot access it.
It looks like the disk is having problems with the motor. I don't
think it's spinning fast enough anymore...

I've tried several Windows disk recovery tools, but to no avail. I've
tried to use Norton Ghost to take a local copy of the disk (with the
switch to ignore bad blocks), but again no joy.

I don't know what else tot try. Maybe parted or clonentfs could help
me out, but every try diminishes my chances :-(

I don't know of any other possibilities I could try. I don't think
that opening up the unit and putting the disks in a good unit, will
work, because of the alignment of the heads...

Is there anybody who has an idea what I could try?

Seal in a Plastic bag. Put in Freezer, to chill it right out.
Remove from freezer, and bag. Make sure it`d dry !.
Plug it in as a slave drive, see what you can rescue.

Old March 26th 06, 04:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Hi someone,

[...]

I know about the technique, but since I suspect the motor (and not
thermal deformation), I think freezing will only make it worse. Do you
think it would help in this case?

Cheers,
Tim

HDD Compatibility Samik R Homebuilt PC's 11 February 3rd 06 10:40 AM
installing new hard disk vj General 9 November 3rd 05 12:30 AM
Hard Disk Drive Not Found [email protected] Dell Computers 13 August 10th 05 12:03 AM
Cannot boot from secondary hard disk (bios setup) Ian Compaq Computers 1 January 5th 05 10:13 PM