Gateway FX530 Wiring Cleanup

Old January 21st 09, 02:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ikaros[_2_]

Default Gateway FX530 Wiring Cleanup

Hi, I have a Gateway FX530 that I got a year and a half ago. I was
wondering if any other FX530 owners have attempted to clean up the
sloppy wiring job inside that Gateway did? Even though you don't see
it with the cover on it still bugs me so I want to do something about
it so it looks nicer and to improve the air flow inside the case.
Also, have any of you done any "mods" to this PC yet? The only changes
I made (besides using a different keyboard and mouse) was just adding
a "slot cooler" to help keep the temperatures down on the 3D graphics
card and forced its fan to run at 100%. Here are my system specs:

Gateway FX530 - Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit SP1, Intel Q6600 2.4ghz
Core 2 Quad CPU, 4gb RAM, 500gb RAID-0 HD, Dual DVD/RW, 700w Power
Supply, Nvidia 8800GTX 768mb GPU (OC), 22" Widescreen 1680x1050 LCD,
Asus/ViXS Combo-210E TV Tuner, Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Audio,
Logitech Precision PC Gaming Headset, Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard,
Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Rocketfish Gaming Mouse Pad, Antec VCool
Slot Cooler, Iomega Prestige 500gb USB HD, Line-6 TonePort GX

Steve...
Old January 21st 09, 03:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
SC Tom

"Ikaros" wrote in message
[...]

I haven't done it on this particular PC, but I've neatened up many others.
One thing you can do on your IDE drives and optical drives is change the
flat ribbon cable out with the round ones. Also, get some nylon wire ties
and a few of the stick-on loops. most of the wiring can be routed to one
side of the case or the other, or split it as evenly as possible between the
two sides. The hardest part of it that I found was getting the power supply
wiring bundled up and tied off in a good location out of the way. I've been
tempted to cut the unused plugs of and shrink-tube the ends, but I know as
soon as I do something like that, I'll need one. Just by rearranging the
wiring on my Compaq desktop, I was able to cool it down by 10-15 degrees F.
Now if I could cool off my M6850-FX notebook. . .

SC Tom