Found 850G SATA HD in street trash site

Old August 16th 16, 06:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Found 850G SATA HD in street trash site

An Apple Mac Pro Desktop was dumped in street dump site. I thought about check it out see what's inside. The memory is gone and HD still attached. Good that the HD is so easy to remove no need screwdriver. I took out HD which is WD 850G SATA version with apple logo labelled...I thought Apple Mac HD can't compatible with Windows PC but it does. I was going to replace an old PATA HD to 1T SATA and no need to since I installed this street dumped HD on WinXP. I saved 60 bucks.

What about the CPU still attached inside Apple Mac Pro? I need special tool to remove CPU inside of Apple Mac Pro..I think it's Intel Quad core Xenon which I will go get it...

Old August 16th 16, 11:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I have picked up lots of PC hardware from verge collections.
I always test the hard drives (look at reallocated sectors, hours and maximum temperature).
As for CPU, often that is the only component that is still good in a junk PC.
Old August 17th 16, 07:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

To remove heatsink first needs special T15 screwdriver which I had to buy it...
Two Intel 2.66gh/4M/1333 Xeon 5150 popped out....
Old August 17th 16, 08:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:

To remove heatsink first needs special T15 screwdriver which I had to buy it...
Two Intel 2.66gh/4M/1333 Xeon 5150 popped out....

That one is a dual core. Two of those equals roughly a Q6700 LGA775.

http://ark.intel.com/products/27218/...z-1333-MHz-FSB

http://ark.intel.com/products/30790/...Hz-FSB?q=Q6700

The magical part of the design, might be
the choice of Northbridge used (chip near
CPU sockets, hosting the RAM). The Northbridge
probably has a heatsink on it.

Specs:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl....66-specs.html

It uses FBDIMMs, so even if the memory was still present,
it might not be of much use to you. For example, if you
were holding a 1GB FBDIMM in your hand, the resale value
might not be all that much. That's because anyone using
FBDIMMs, they're trying to get rid of their 1GB FBDIMMs
and replace them with larger ones.

The Northbridge is a 5000X. It uses 32.4W of power.

http://ark.intel.com/products/27749/...ory-Controller

The 21st page here has a nice block diagram. It's the Northbridge
with the snoop cache inside. The high FSB speed makes
it easier to have the FSB of each processor, terminate
on the Northbridge. It's no wonder the Northbridge
draws 32.4W. The Northbridge is a 1432 contact chip,
roughly twice as many contacts as one of the CPUs.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc...-datasheet.pdf

So the Northbridge is the amazing part. Not so much
that particular CPU.

And the motherboard is offered for sale for $29. Just
so you know what the motherboard is worth standalone.
The motherboard might look similar to this one.

http://www.macpalace.com/661-3919-lo...8-ma356ll.html

Now, it probably wasn't that machine, but a slightly
later one, that was liquid cooled and some started
to leak. So in some cases, the machine itself might
not be defective, but some less-high-tech part is
what let it down.

Paul