What is the latest intel processor and is it faster than others.

Old March 10th 12, 12:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bear

Default What is the latest intel processor and is it faster than others.

Krypsis wrote in
:

On 7/03/2012 5:07 AM, Des wrote:
On Mar 6, 5:25 pm, wrote:
On Mar 6, 3:46 pm, (GMAN) wrote:

In
articleba6bb467-6cb2-4575-899b-15a0dd14f...

@eb6g2000vbb.googlegroup
s.com, wrote:I am looking at upgrading
to a new PC. I knew where I was with AMD.
AM, AM2, AM3. Simple but with Intel it is as confusing as trying
to get the best deal on a mobile phone.

Atom, Core 2, Pentium M, Itanium, Xeon, Pentium 4 and now i7.
It's enough to give you a head ache and I haven=92t looked at DDR2
and DDR3

Still not sure why I would need 4 cores as it doesn=92t make most
PC 4 times faster. Would 4 Ford Fusion cars make me a Ferrari?

Do any types of video work and the 4 cores really shine.

Hi Thanks for thi. I have an Athlon 64 X2 4200+

Don't do any intesive work like video editing but watching download
films and streeming stuff is wahat I would like.
I use computer programming softeare like Visual studio 2008 but that
dosn't seem to be a problem.

My processor is older still it is
Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2200 MHz 2 × 512 KB 1000 MHz 11x
1.30-1.35 V 89 W
Socket 939
May 31, 2005
ADA4200DAA5CD

The problem is that My Asus motherboard Asus M2VMX SE
iS so ols it only has 2 SATA ands I need at least 4
The AGP Express 16 is of type 1.0 or 1.1 which meand I am stuck with
the onboard graphics. Can't find a good card that will fit.

A new board would have a beter graphics on board and I could get a
good card if needed.

Which way to go? AM3 is better but the cost of thouse DDR3s are high
and I would need a new processor.

Looking at the link given me I see all the latest processors but what
sockets are they. I would need that so I could find a motherboard.
The latest one seems to be

Phenom II X6 1100T BE. I Asumme it is AM3+

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...el+Core2+Quad+

You might find the above website useful in providing you with a
meaningful comparison. Raw CPU speeds no longer cut it when comparing
one CPU with another. Benchmarks give a better indication of just how
a CPU will handle a given workload. I see my Q6600 is well down the
performance scale these days. I can buy a much better performing chip
with less money these days.

Good link. I'm putting it on my web site if newcomers want to use it.

--
Bear
http://bearware.info
Old March 10th 12, 07:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rick[_5_]

On 3/6/2012 5:27 AM, Des wrote:
I am looking at upgrading to a new PC. I knew where I was with AMD.
AM, AM2, AM3. Simple but with Intel it is as confusing as trying to
get the best deal on a mobile phone.

Atom, Core 2, Pentium M, Itanium, Xeon, Pentium 4 and now i7. It's
enough to give you a head ache and I haven’t looked at DDR2 and DDR3

Still not sure why I would need 4 cores as it doesn’t make most PC 4
times faster. Would 4 Ford Fusion cars make me a Ferrari?

I believe that the fastest Intel CPU is the i7 3960K I just put one in
and it is dynamite!