Re-installing HP printer on an Astro

Old November 16th 04, 02:18 AM
Jack

Default Re-installing HP printer on an Astro

Has anyone run into this? I am trying to install an HP DeskJet 812c back
onto an Astro (Win98se). This printer had worked fine before the person
tried to change the ink cartridge. She couldn't get it to print, and I
noticed three or four printers installed so I removed them all, thinking I
would just re-install it...should take 10 minutes.
That was last week. Nothing I've tried will work. I've downloaded HP's
latest drivers but the Astro won't let it install to the USB port...it wants
to use com2.
I've tried HP's USB cleanup program=no luck.
Gateway's site had a registry trick to clean up old installations (thank
goodness I backed it up first!) that didn't work.
What I'm hoping for is that someone has run into this before and can spare
me more hours of grief with some helpful tips?
Jack

Old November 17th 04, 06:17 PM
Bob Moyer

I am by no means an expert on this, but on my HP/USB printers, you must be
sure NOT to connect the usb cable until the driver/software has been
installed. If this is the path you followed, I apologize for wasting you
time. Good luck.

Bob

Old November 18th 04, 03:02 AM
Jack

Hi Bob, I'm willing to try about anything right now! I tried to install the
way you said but no luck. I'm on my 8th e-mail with HP trying different
approaches, but no-go.
Does Gateway have online or e-mail support? I looked on the site but
couldn't find it if they do. The printer was bought the same time as the
computer from Gateway.
Jack
.. .

Old November 18th 04, 10:33 PM
Bob Moyer

One other thought, you mentioned that you downloaded HP's latest
drivers...were they for Win98SE or XP? Also, does the device manager show
any USB hubs/devices?

Bob

"Jack" wrote in message
Hi Bob, I'm willing to try about anything right now! I tried to install

the
way you said but no luck. I'm on my 8th e-mail with HP trying different
approaches, but no-go.
Does Gateway have online or e-mail support? I looked on the site but
couldn't find it if they do. The printer was bought the same time as the
computer from Gateway.
Jack
.. .

Old November 18th 04, 11:24 PM
Jack

The drivers were for Win98(ME, 98, 95). Device Manager lists 4: General
purpose USB Hub; Generic USB Hub; Intel 62801AB USB Universal Host
Controller; Usb Root Hub.
Jack
news

"Jack" wrote in message
Hi Bob, I'm willing to try about anything right now! I tried to install

the
way you said but no luck. I'm on my 8th e-mail with HP trying different
approaches, but no-go.
Does Gateway have online or e-mail support? I looked on the site but
couldn't find it if they do. The printer was bought the same time as the
computer from Gateway.
Jack
.. .

Old November 21st 04, 02:30 PM
Jack

Bob, do you by any chance, have an "Astro" running Win98se? I'd like to know
what is in the win.ini file in the 'port' section. The first line in mine
is: ;Rem TShoot: then it lists LPT2:= LPT3:= then 4 com ports and last
one is FILE:= . The com ports have =9600,n,8,1,x after each.
I'm wondering if it should have LPT1 and USB listed.
Go to Start; Run; type sysedit and pick the win.ini tab.
Jack

news

"Jack" wrote in message
Hi Bob, I'm willing to try about anything right now! I tried to install

the
way you said but no luck. I'm on my 8th e-mail with HP trying different
approaches, but no-go.
Does Gateway have online or e-mail support? I looked on the site but
couldn't find it if they do. The printer was bought the same time as the
computer from Gateway.
Jack
.. .

Old November 22nd 04, 09:01 PM
Bob Moyer

Jack,
Within the last month, I installed XP on all of my pcs. The advice I was
offering came from experiences trying to install my USB/HP printers on these
systems. I, also, was having problems until I read the "Readme" file that
came on the original drivers' disk. I had tried to install everything with
the usb cables connected and ran into all sorts of problems with the
install. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Bob

"Jack" wrote in message
Bob, do you by any chance, have an "Astro" running Win98se? I'd like to

know
what is in the win.ini file in the 'port' section. The first line in mine
is: ;Rem TShoot: then it lists LPT2:= LPT3:= then 4 com ports and

last
one is FILE:= . The com ports have =9600,n,8,1,x after each.
I'm wondering if it should have LPT1 and USB listed.
Go to Start; Run; type sysedit and pick the win.ini tab.
Jack

news

"Jack" wrote in message
Hi Bob, I'm willing to try about anything right now! I tried to install

the
way you said but no luck. I'm on my 8th e-mail with HP trying different
approaches, but no-go.
Does Gateway have online or e-mail support? I looked on the site but
couldn't find it if they do. The printer was bought the same time as

the
computer from Gateway.
Jack
.. .

Old November 23rd 04, 01:07 AM
Jack

Bob, I finally figured it out. I printed a test page just to make sure the
printer worked. The test page printed a different model number than what was
on the printer. It printed DeskJet 895C series instead of DeskJet 812C.
Downloaded the drivers and USB uninstaller for the 895C and everything now
works!!!
Jack

.. .

"Jack" wrote in message
Bob, do you by any chance, have an "Astro" running Win98se? I'd like to

know
what is in the win.ini file in the 'port' section. The first line in mine
is: ;Rem TShoot: then it lists LPT2:= LPT3:= then 4 com ports and

last
one is FILE:= . The com ports have =9600,n,8,1,x after each.
I'm wondering if it should have LPT1 and USB listed.
Go to Start; Run; type sysedit and pick the win.ini tab.
Jack

news

"Jack" wrote in message
Hi Bob, I'm willing to try about anything right now! I tried to
install
the
way you said but no luck. I'm on my 8th e-mail with HP trying
different
approaches, but no-go.
Does Gateway have online or e-mail support? I looked on the site but
couldn't find it if they do. The printer was bought the same time as

the
computer from Gateway.
Jack
.. .

"Jack" wrote in message
[...]

USB Printer Problems Kevin Altizer General 9 July 24th 04 04:28 PM
Printer partially ejects on cold boot *Vanguard* General 3 May 15th 04 11:50 PM
Dell printer 960 gringo Dell Computers 5 April 9th 04 07:26 AM
Linux to emulate/act as a printer. Peteris Krumins General 0 December 26th 03 04:22 AM