Dell branded19" CRT standalone purchase warranty only 120 days?

Old November 30th 04, 05:59 AM
Carl LaFong

Default Dell branded19" CRT standalone purchase warranty only 120 days?

Has anyone reading this been told by Dell tech support that Dell branded 19
inch CRT monitors cannot be exchanged after 120 days from purchase???

I specifically refer to a Dell P992 purchase in 2002. Here is a paste from
the accompanying CD re warranty:

"During the second and third years of this limited warranty, Dell will
provide, on an exchange basis and subject to Dell's Exchange Policy in
effect on the date of the exchange, replacement parts for the Dell hardware
product(s) covered under this limited warranty when a part requires
replacement."

No mention of 120 days anywhere in any of my documents.

Does anyone have the fine print on "Dell Exchange Policy" as in the above
paragraph? When you poke that link it just takes you to support.dell.com.

Please advise if you have any insight into CRT monitor exchange denials
when dealing with tech support in India.

I could use a US-based customer care 800 number, but there may not be one?

Old November 30th 04, 06:32 AM
personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk

all dell support calls are routed by chance and happenstance. You could get
India, or Nashville, or Texas, or any number of spots in the USA. Your call
is *mostly* routed by your express service code. so keep that number
*ready*!

Monitors are tied to the SYSTEM in home/small business situations. If your
system has a 3 year warranty, so does your monitor. Note: Dell checks
serial numbers as part of the troubleshooting process, so don't get the
monitors messed up between two systems.

Dick Silk -- The Computer Tutor
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk
for rates and online chat

- Some assembly required - like the WHOLE thing.

Old November 30th 04, 07:05 AM
Carl LaFong

"personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk" wrote in message
all dell support calls are routed by chance and happenstance. You could
get India, or Nashville, or Texas, or any number of spots in the USA.
Your call is *mostly* routed by your express service code. so keep that
number *ready*!

Monitors are tied to the SYSTEM in home/small business situations. If
your system has a 3 year warranty, so does your monitor. Note: Dell
checks serial numbers as part of the troubleshooting process, so don't get
the monitors messed up between two systems.

Dick:

Thanks for the response.

I have called 7 times in the last 2 weeks to either 800 624 9896 or 800 624
9897. Invariably answered by a severe Indian accent. It seems to me that I
am routed to India by virtue of choosing "home system" or words to that
effect early in the voicemail tree.

I have no "express service code" and never had one. All I have is an order
number from the date of purchase and a "case number" that I got a couple of
days ago. That is not the same as an "express service code"; nor is it a
dispatch number.

This was NOT a system purchase. It was a purchase of a P992 monitor only and
therefore didn't have an express service code. All my documentation says 3
year warranty.

If you or anyone has clues to how to contact a US person without an express
service code, please advise.

If you or anyone has the fine print on exchange denials on monitors please
advise.

It's a long pathetic story. Suffice it to say India tech support now wants
to deny the claim because I am beyond 120 days after purchase. This is after
an Indian support manager said I was qualified last week, but when he turned
me back over to the tech, the tech claimed he could not give me a dispatch
number because Dell's database was temporarily down. Today, the database is
up, but this new tech wants to deny, despite what the manager told me last
week. I have had a total of 4 different Dell reps say I was qualified, but
got nowhere, allegedly because "the database is down". Until today, that is.
Now that the database is up, the claim is suspect.

I have spent over 3 hours on the phone in those 7 phone calls and have no
stomach for more from India, considering language barrier, down databases,
and repeated contentions from techs that I would be phoned back "tomorrow"
with a dispatch number.

Needless to say, no one in India has a direct phone number or direct email.
You have to wade back down through the tree and take your chances.

Any assistance appreciated--other than India. I will concede the claim
rather than fight the language barrier, minimal technical competence, and
ongoing broken assurances.

Old November 30th 04, 02:18 PM
Tom Almy

No question about it, monitors have a 3 year warranty if purchased
separate from the system. However everything in support is tied to those
system tag numbers! I don't know of any secret, just keep trying.
Tech Support for Home Sales 1-800-624-9897
Tech Support for Small Business 1-877-773-3355

I've always purchased from Small Business. You might be able to use the
Small Business tech support, who knows?

Old November 30th 04, 02:20 PM
Tom Almy

Tom Almy wrote:
Tech Support for Home Sales 1-800-624-9897

Tech Support for Small Business 1-877-773-3355

Ops, those are for Customer Care. All tech support goes
through 1-800-624-9896 and is routed via that system service tag. :-(
Old December 1st 04, 01:34 AM
personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk

First, if it's a "non-time-critical" issue, you can usually get excellent
results with their website / e-mail response teams.
Second, although I shouldn't say this in a public forum, the phone numbers
for all the tech support folk at the Nashville location usually start with
something like:
615-795-xxxx (usually somewhere over 7000) -- you're bound to get ahold of
someone who will route you to the nearest manager in that building -- Home &
Small business, desktops and laptops, mostly.
Finally, write your displeasure to the Big Guy himself: --
this guy really DOES read all his e-mail!
And if anyone at Dell is wondering why I'm posting this information, well --
it's because those friggin' *******s won't re-hire previous employees!
(Thus, I have to get my "fixing fix" in here via the newsgroup.)

As to your last point (somewhere below) people should know this: NO one
(except myself) EVER calls / called back from Dell, with the exception of
managers. If you do NOT get a DPS# (dispatch parts / service) then your
repair request has not been processed, but you *should* have notes in a call
log somewhere. When calling, get tech names, badge numbers, and manager
names (managers DO have phone #'s!)

Dick Silk -- The Computer Tutor
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk
for rates and online chat

- MONEY TALKS... but all mine ever says is GOODBYE!

Old December 1st 04, 03:09 PM
Vic Dura

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:34:43 -0600, Dell branded19" CRT
standalone purchase warranty only 120 days?
"personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk" wrote:

And if anyone at Dell is wondering why I'm posting this information, well --
it's because those friggin' *******s won't re-hire previous employees!
(Thus, I have to get my "fixing fix" in here via the newsgroup.)

They probably out-sourced your job to India. Great for computer prices
and the Dell bottom-line; lousey for our economy, employees and users
that don't speak Hindi and need support.

--
To reply to me directly, remove the XXX characters from my email address.
Old December 1st 04, 08:44 PM

"Vic Dura" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:34:43 -0600, Dell branded19" CRT
standalone purchase warranty only 120 days?
"personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk" wrote:

And if anyone at Dell is wondering why I'm posting this information,
well --
it's because those friggin' *******s won't re-hire previous employees!
(Thus, I have to get my "fixing fix" in here via the newsgroup.)

They probably out-sourced your job to India. Great for computer prices
and the Dell bottom-line; lousey for our economy, employees and users
that don't speak Hindi and need support.

True: they were starting up the India group when I left in 10/2001. I
think the real problem is: I actually *care* about helping people fix their
problems. It is a joy to me. To them, I was simply someone who took longer
than other folk to get the customers off the line.