SVGA Cable - can I cut and extend it?

Old November 25th 03, 06:52 PM
Ger

Default SVGA Cable - can I cut and extend it?

Hi Group.

I have an SVGA cable (15 Pin D) connecting my computer video card
to an overhead projector. The cable is too short for comfort.
I want to cut it and insert an extra 2 or 3 metres.
A new cable is too expensive and the 15 pin plug is too tricky to solder.
I have done an exploratory incision in the cable (no cuts yet!!)
Under the outside wire and foil screen I find 9 coloured wires and a further
(unknown - maybe 6??) number of wires in a secondary aluminium foil screen.

Should I stop now and leave well alone?

If I proceed and hack into the inner cable and then extend all the leads by
2 metres and try to botch up the screening on the inserted part, will I
suffer
hopeless loss of signal quality or will it hardly be noticed?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Ger

P.S. anyone know if ALL the 15 wires are actually used?

Old November 25th 03, 07:45 PM
Pen

11 of the 15 pins are active. However, 2 meter
cables are available for about $6 in my part of the
world. Why take the chance? What happens when
this doesn't work correctly? Now you'll have a
trashed cable and you'll end up having to buy a
new one anyway.

Old November 25th 03, 08:02 PM
Todd H.

"Ger" writes:

Hi Group.

I have an SVGA cable (15 Pin D) connecting my computer video card
to an overhead projector. The cable is too short for comfort.
I want to cut it and insert an extra 2 or 3 metres.

A new cable is too expensive

Really? How much is your time worth?

If I proceed and hack into the inner cable and then extend all the
leads by 2 metres and try to botch up the screening on the inserted
part, will I suffer hopeless loss of signal quality or will it
hardly be noticed?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest and purchasing a KVM extension cable. Don't underestimate
the value of cables produced and soldered by either automated means or
people who do it for a living. They're not as expensive as the time
it's gonna take to do the work to extend what you have, and likely
you'll see a rather disappointing drop in quality introduced by the
cable work you might do (unless you are extremely careful and
skilled, and use high quality cable).

Cheapies:
$7.16
Tripp Lite GOLD VGA Monitor Extension Cable, HDDB15 M/F, 6'
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...spx?EDC=326389

$8.00
Belkin HDDB15M to HDDB15F VGA Monitor Extension 6' cable
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...Type=alternate

If you're running at high resolution, you'll want a cable
with co-axial RGB leads that make a very noticeable difference in
video quality at 1024x768 and up (depending on the monitor's
sensitivity to inexpensive non-coax cables):

$27.14
Belkin HDDB15M to HDDB15F VGA Monitor Extension 6' cable
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...Type=alternate

Best REgards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Old November 25th 03, 08:10 PM
philo

"Ger" wrote in message
[...]

the cables are shielded...so
if you try to splice it you will get a "ghosted" image
you need to by a *high quality* extension cable

if you use a "cheapie" you will also get a "ghosted" image

Old November 26th 03, 01:48 AM
DaveW

If you cut into it and add a section, you'll undoubtedly end up with signal
interference.

--
DaveW

Old November 26th 03, 01:57 PM
Ger

Thanks Pen.

FYI, cost of 2 metre extension SVGA cable in UK is $26 :-(

Ger

et...

Old November 26th 03, 05:41 PM
*Vanguard*

Ger wrote:
[...]

The longer you make the cable, the more it gets attenuated and the more
likely RF and EMI interference will cause problems. Many KVM users have
found they need to use high-quality, low-impedance cables because they
are lengthening the overal cable length. Cheapie extender cables will
cause ghosts, noise, reduced brightness, and other defects. If the
cable disconnects from the monitor (i.e., you have connectors on both
ends) then get one longer cable instead of tacking on a extender.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***