Installing a printer

Old May 18th 07, 06:10 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mads Munch

Default Installing a printer

I have been trying to install a HP 2200 DN on my WinXP box, but at the
end of the add printer wizzard I get a "Operation cannot be performed"
error with no further explanation. It does not seem to matter which
printer I'm trying to install I still get the same error... The
problem is getting a bit critical as I need to print some stuff for my
exams, so any hints on how to solve this issue would be greatly
apperciated.

... Mads Munch

Old May 18th 07, 09:37 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Block

Mads Munch wrote:
I have been trying to install a HP 2200 DN on my WinXP box, but at the
end of the add printer wizzard I get a "Operation cannot be performed"
error with no further explanation. It does not seem to matter which
printer I'm trying to install I still get the same error... The
problem is getting a bit critical as I need to print some stuff for my
exams, so any hints on how to solve this issue would be greatly
apperciated.

How is the printer connected? If network, suspect the Windows
"firewall". If you've created a network port with the appropriate
printer address once before, choose it rather than 'create new port'.

For reference:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....5d43f25?hl=en&

If nothing else works, print to a file and FTP that to the printer.

Old May 18th 07, 09:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

Mads Munch wrote:
I have been trying to install a HP 2200 DN on my WinXP box, but at the
end of the add printer wizzard I get a "Operation cannot be performed"
error with no further explanation. It does not seem to matter which
printer I'm trying to install I still get the same error... The
problem is getting a bit critical as I need to print some stuff for my
exams, so any hints on how to solve this issue would be greatly
apperciated.

.. Mads Munch

How are you connecting the printer? I see it is a network version, are you
connecting it using a parallel cable or ethernet. If ethernet is it directly
connected to the PC or via a router or similar?
The reason for the question is that if this is a network installation you have
to set the ip address in the printer and it can't be done from the printer
front panel.
If you are using a parallel cable are you installing using the CD or the WinXP
internal drivers?
You say " It does not seem to matter which printer I'm trying to install I
still get the same error.", can you explain what that means? Are you referring
to PCL versus PS drivers?
Tony

Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old May 18th 07, 10:24 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mads Munch

On May 18, 10:48 pm, Tony wrote:
Mads Munch wrote:
[...]

Hi Tony, thanks for your reply.

It's connected to the ethernet, via a network switch. My computer can
ping the printer with no probs and the printer IP has been set using
the web interface. I have tried using the XP internal drivers and
those downloaded from HP's site. tried deactivating the Windows
Firewall, no effect.

I have tried installing other printers (differenf models/makes) before
and I have got the same message "The printer driver wasn't installed.
The operation could not be performed" (translated from Danish). Also
tried the PCL6 and PS drivers, same thing.

.... Mads

Old May 18th 07, 10:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mads Munch

On May 18, 10:37 pm, Warren Block wrote:
Mads Munch wrote:
I have been trying to install a HP 2200 DN on my WinXP box, but at the
end of the add printer wizzard I get a "Operation cannot be performed"
error with no further explanation. It does not seem to matter which
printer I'm trying to install I still get the same error... The
problem is getting a bit critical as I need to print some stuff for my
exams, so any hints on how to solve this issue would be greatly
apperciated.

How is the printer connected? If network, suspect the Windows
"firewall". If you've created a network port with the appropriate
printer address once before, choose it rather than 'create new port'.

For reference:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....g/850d68c775d4...

If nothing else works, print to a file and FTP that to the printer.

Hello Warren, thanks for your reply.

Disabling the firewall didn't seem to have any effect on my ability to
install the printer.

... Mads

Old May 19th 07, 12:12 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

Mads Munch wrote:
On May 18, 10:48 pm, Tony wrote:
Mads Munch wrote:
[...]

Is it possible to bypass the switch temporarily and see if you can install with
a direct ethernet connection?
Otherwise i'm not sure this is a driver or printer issue, you may be better off
asking for help in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax, there are some very helpful folk there
or you can try
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/f...5&familyId=412
They are also extremely helpful but the forum is focussed mainly on hardware
and I suspect this is an OS related issue.
Good luck
Tony