Computer won't sleep completely

Old November 16th 06, 09:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Alan Ladd

Default Computer won't sleep completely

Hello all. I just recently built a computer for the first time. It is
awesome and everything is running as expected except for one thing. When
I put the computer in sleep mode(Standby), the cpu cooling fan does not
stop spinning. The same goes for the 120mm fan that I attached to the
back of the case. In my old computer, an emachine T1840, when I put the
computer on standby, everything shuts off except for the power button
light changing from green to yellow. The fan was not spinning or at
least I don't think it was because I never heard a sound from it when it
was on standby. I have very sensitive hearing and I could sleep with the
computer on standby without hearing a peep out of it.

The specs on my new computer are as follows:

Biostar P4M800M7A Socket 775 Motherboard

Intel Pentium D 840 3.2gGHz DT 800FSB Socket 775

Ultra 500w V-Series PSU Black

Masscool 8W0141B Socket 775 CPU Cooling

120 mm fan (can't remember the brand)

I am running Windows XP Pro. My old machine had Windows XP Home. Could
that be the difference? Is it something in the BIOS that I need to
change or do I just need to bear with the noise until I can afford to
buy a better cpu fan that isn't as loud?

Any help will be appreciated.

TIA,
Alan
Old November 16th 06, 01:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Alan Ladd wrote:
[...]

For diagnostics, look for "dumppo.exe" in Google. It is a very small
DOS utility, for returning info about ACPI states. Dumppo can
be used, via its "administrative override" option, to change the
level of ACPI states supported.

ACPI power states are numbered S1 through S5. In S1, the monitor
is blanked, but all the fans still spin. That is the state you are
entering when you select standby.

The S3 state is called "Suspend to RAM". Basically, all regular power
goes off. That is the state your old Emachine was using. Only a
little standby juice is flowing.

S4 is Hibernate, which is "Suspend to Disk". That one has the
advantage, that if the power goes off, you can recover your
previous session. With S3 STR, if the power goes off, the
session is lost.

Both S3 and S4, drop power consumption to the 10W-20W region. That
is the amount of power still used by the +5VSB rail, to keep the
memory refreshed, and the LAN chip ready for a wakeup packet.

Steps for standby:

1) Set BIOS option properly. I'm not sure of the exact
right setting in every case, but if it mentions S3,
that might help.

2) Install Windows with an ACPI HAL. You can check Device Manager
and see the properties of "Computer", to see if it has been
done correctly. If ACPI was disabled in the BIOS somehow (I've
had some bad BIOS releases that do that), then your OS install
is really screwed. If it says "Standard PC", then there is no
ACPI installed.

3) Use "dumppo.exe". Check the current capabilities with the "cap"
option. If S3 is not there, use the administrative override, to
define S3 as a valid state.

Google should have a few entries for dumppo.

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.co...315e98de39b3d8

Paul
Old November 16th 06, 02:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Chris Hill

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:56:51 GMT, Alan Ladd
wrote:

Hello all. I just recently built a computer for the first time. It is
awesome and everything is running as expected except for one thing. When
I put the computer in sleep mode(Standby), the cpu cooling fan does not
stop spinning. The same goes for the 120mm fan that I attached to the
back of the case. In my old computer, an emachine T1840, when I put the
computer on standby, everything shuts off except for the power button
light changing from green to yellow. The fan was not spinning or at
least I don't think it was because I never heard a sound from it when it
was on standby. I have very sensitive hearing and I could sleep with the
computer on standby without hearing a peep out of it.

Look in cmos power management, change sleep mode to s3 instead of s1.
That should stop the fans. Hopefully it'll come out of standby okay,
mine won't and I'm afraid I might have to reinstall windows to make it
all owrk right.

Old November 16th 06, 09:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Alan Ladd

Paul wrote in
:

Steps for standby:

1) Set BIOS option properly. I'm not sure of the exact
right setting in every case, but if it mentions S3,
that might help.

2) Install Windows with an ACPI HAL. You can check Device Manager
and see the properties of "Computer", to see if it has been
done correctly. If ACPI was disabled in the BIOS somehow (I've
had some bad BIOS releases that do that), then your OS install
is really screwed. If it says "Standard PC", then there is no
ACPI installed.

3) Use "dumppo.exe". Check the current capabilities with the "cap"
option. If S3 is not there, use the administrative override, to
define S3 as a valid state.

Google should have a few entries for dumppo.

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.co....asus/browse_f

m/thread/60f8a67efab0975f/66315e98de39b3d8

Paul

Thanks so much for your quick and thorough response. I'm still a
beginner when it comes to computers and your step by step instructions
really helps. I will give this a try when I get off work later. Thanks
again for the help.

Alan

Old November 16th 06, 09:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Alan Ladd

Chris Hill wrote in
:

Look in cmos power management, change sleep mode to s3 instead of s1.
That should stop the fans. Hopefully it'll come out of standby okay,
mine won't and I'm afraid I might have to reinstall windows to make it
all owrk right.

Thank you for your response. It's really amazing how you guys know so much
about computers. I've been lurking here for a while and it never cease to
amaze me with the level of expertise shown in this ng.

Thanks again.

Alan
Old November 17th 06, 03:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
OSbandito

If the processor is running hot, the fans will keep running. What temp?
The big fan on the case has to be pushing air in the right direction;
you don't want it to be fighting the pwr.supply fan. Check your Biostar
WarpSpeed and WatchDog settings and readings fans, temps and
voltages. Finally, a related device-driver issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314118

Old November 17th 06, 07:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Alan Ladd

Paul wrote in
:

Steps for standby:

1) Set BIOS option properly. I'm not sure of the exact
right setting in every case, but if it mentions S3,
that might help.

I checked every part of my BIOS and don't see any mention of S3 or Suspend
to Ram for that matter. I checked the CMOS settings, Power Management and a
couple others and saw no sign of enabling S3. That's a bad sign isn't it.

2) Install Windows with an ACPI HAL. You can check Device Manager
and see the properties of "Computer", to see if it has been
done correctly. If ACPI was disabled in the BIOS somehow (I've
had some bad BIOS releases that do that), then your OS install
is really screwed. If it says "Standard PC", then there is no
ACPI installed.

Mine says ACPI Multiprocessor PC

3) Use "dumppo.exe". Check the current capabilities with the "cap"
option. If S3 is not there, use the administrative override, to
define S3 as a valid state.

Okay. Downloaded dumppo.exe. Scanned it to make sure it's virus free.
Double clicked it and something flashed briefly and nothing else happens. I
did a little bit more googling to see how to use dumppo but all
instructions I saw was a lot like your instructions. Override S1, change to
S3, enable Suspend to RAM, etc. I'm afraid I just don't understand how I'm
supposed to do any of those using dumppo. Am I supposed to open the file
dumppo? Double click it? Run it under some setting? Is it a registry
editing type thing? Any further help would be appreciated.

TIA,
Alan
Old November 19th 06, 09:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Hello everyone, i was wondering where can i get dumppo.exe from, as i
can't find it and i have the same problem that my fans won't shutdown.

Old November 19th 06, 10:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Hello everyone, i was wondering where can i get dumppo.exe from, as i
can't find it and i have the same problem that my fans won't shutdown.
When i try and download dumppo.exe it says there is a server error, so
i was wondering could someone possibly send me it via email. My address
is .
Thanks