assembled new system - no signs of life

Old September 23rd 05, 03:58 AM
Peter

Default assembled new system - no signs of life

Hi! I assembled a new system last night and when I turned it on, the fans
began spinning but the motherboard didn't produce any beeps or showed no
signs of life.

Here are the specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce 4 SLI Athlon 64(FX) Skt939
RAM: Corsair TWINX2048-3200 2GB DDR400 XMS3200 Memory w/Black Heat Spreader
Video Card: VGA BFG| 6800GT 256MB DVI TV RT
HD #1: Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB Serial ATA 10,000RPM Hard Drive
w/8MB Buffer
HD #2: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB Serial ATA II 7200RPM Hard
Drive w/16MB Buffer
Power Supply: Antec 550W ATX12V 2.01
Case: Cooler Master Praetorian PAC-T01-EK

Then, I removed everything and just kept the motherboard, CPU and RAM. Same
result.
Removed the RAM. No luck.
Removed the battery and cleared CMOS. No luck.
I even took the CPU fan and heatsink off and let it run for 10-15 sec. The
CPU remained cold and system showed no signs of life.

Does this mean the motherboard is dead?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Old September 23rd 05, 04:32 AM
JAD

all power leads from the psu are connected and the voltage selection switch
is set for your area? (if it has one on the back of the PSU))

ink.net...

Old September 23rd 05, 04:40 AM
Peter

The voltage selection is set to 110V, which is correct. I also suppose that
if there was something wrong with the PSU, the fans would not be spinning.
The green light on the motherboard is also on, which indicates that it's
getting power.

"JAD" wrote in message
all power leads from the psu are connected and the voltage selection
switch is set for your area? (if it has one on the back of the PSU))

ink.net...

Old September 23rd 05, 01:29 PM
Russell S

This board is notorious for this same issue being experienced by many users.
First: your board needs BIOS version 1013 or higher according to their web
site to use an X2 3800+ Athlon64. The second thing to try would be to
temporarily try only one RAM module in the B1 slot (blue memory slot
furthest away from the processor) if you have more than one RAM stick; this
board is notoriously buggy with many memory configurations, and is extremely
picky about accepting only particular RAM model numbers as well.

Check out the Asus forum for this board at
http://vip.asus.com/forum/bbs.aspx?S...N-SLI%20Deluxe
to see that others are experiencing the same thing you are, and what they've
done to try to fix it.

Good luck to you
--
Russell Sullivan
http://tastycomputers.com

k.net...

"JAD" wrote in message
all power leads from the psu are connected and the voltage selection
switch is set for your area? (if it has one on the back of the PSU))

ink.net...

Old September 23rd 05, 05:37 PM
Kevin

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 02:58:45 GMT, "Peter" wrote:

[...]

Make sure the motherboard is not shorting.
Old September 24th 05, 02:30 AM
Peter

There's an X2 sticker on the motherboard box, so I guess that means the mobo
came with BIOS 1013 or later. I have tried it with 2 or 1 memory sticks
without any luck.

Thanks

"Russell S" rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith". " wrote in
message ...
This board is notorious for this same issue being experienced by many
users. First: your board needs BIOS version 1013 or higher according to
their web site to use an X2 3800+ Athlon64. The second thing to try would
be to temporarily try only one RAM module in the B1 slot (blue memory slot
furthest away from the processor) if you have more than one RAM stick;
this board is notoriously buggy with many memory configurations, and is
extremely picky about accepting only particular RAM model numbers as well.

Check out the Asus forum for this board at
http://vip.asus.com/forum/bbs.aspx?S...N-SLI%20Deluxe
to see that others are experiencing the same thing you are, and what
they've done to try to fix it.

Good luck to you
--
Russell Sullivan
http://tastycomputers.com

k.net...

"JAD" wrote in message
all power leads from the psu are connected and the voltage selection
switch is set for your area? (if it has one on the back of the PSU))

ink.net...

Old September 24th 05, 02:36 AM
JAD

strip it to memory 1/stick vidcard cpu / cooling solution try to boot
won't boot? change memory timings

"Peter" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

k.net...

"JAD" wrote in message
all power leads from the psu are connected and the voltage selection
switch is set for your area? (if it has one on the back of the PSU))

ink.net...

Old September 24th 05, 03:03 AM
Peter

How can I change memory timings if I can't get into BIOS setup?

"JAD" wrote in message
strip it to memory 1/stick vidcard cpu / cooling solution try to
boot
won't boot? change memory timings

"Peter" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

k.net...

"JAD" wrote in message
all power leads from the psu are connected and the voltage selection
switch is set for your area? (if it has one on the back of the PSU))

ink.net...

Old September 24th 05, 03:36 AM
JAD

"Peter" wrote in message
nk.net...
How can I change memory timings if I can't get into BIOS setup?

have you stripped it down?

You have successfully cleared CMOS. jumper or battery(with it unplugged)
method
Recieve a cmos error message? Loading defaults
The PSU has been ruled out along with any misconnections to the MB and
vidcard (when applicable)
Without memory there is no beep (connected speaker)
The CPU and cooling solution has been ruled out
then the MB is suspect. Remove from case and bench it using a different
power switch (IOW dont use the case switch)
still no powewr up? RMA it.

"JAD" wrote in message
strip it to memory 1/stick vidcard cpu / cooling solution try to
boot
won't boot? change memory timings

"Peter" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

k.net...

"JAD" wrote in message
all power leads from the psu are connected and the voltage

selection
switch is set for your area? (if it has one on the back of the

PSU))

ink.net...

Old September 24th 05, 03:38 AM
JAD

PS you have tried a different video solution

Attn: 832GM and other XP Owners Russ Edwards Gateway Computers 12 July 24th 05 12:37 AM
What do you use for backup today? Mxsmanic Homebuilt PC's 46 July 18th 05 09:19 PM
My system seems to "recover" with great frequency Louise Homebuilt PC's 3 May 17th 04 06:02 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
how much can i overclock my computer en how MiniDisc_2k2 Overclocking 2 July 6th 03 12:58 AM