A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » Printers
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Need printer advise



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 29th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Need printer advise

I have narrowed my printer choices down to 2.
1.Epson R220
2. Epson 1280

The R220 uses dye ink. Is this a "permanent" ink? By that I mean is it
water resistant, or will it smear if it gets wet? I will be printing photos
and CD/DVD's for self I would like to know the ink won't run if it gets
wet (within reason) My HP used to run if you sneezed near it.

The 1280 on the other hand uses pigment ink. Is there a print head clogging
problem with this ink?

Are there any printable CD's or DVD's that I should avoid? Any better than
most?

TIA for your opinion

--
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Bob
in Carmel, CA
  #2  
Old May 29th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Need printer advise



ADVICE Allison, ADVICE.

Gary Eickmeier
  #3  
Old May 29th 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Need printer advise

On Mon, 29 May 2006 02:41:51 GMT, Bob Allison
wrote:

I have narrowed my printer choices down to 2.
1.Epson R220
2. Epson 1280

The R220 uses dye ink. Is this a "permanent" ink? By that I mean is it
water resistant, or will it smear if it gets wet? I will be printing photos
and CD/DVD's for self I would like to know the ink won't run if it gets
wet (within reason) My HP used to run if you sneezed near it.


No, it's not permanent. It's water resistant on Epson's photo paper,
but not on plain paper or on CDs, though it will become more water
resistant once the CD has dried for a few days.

The 1280 on the other hand uses pigment ink. Is there a print head clogging
problem with this ink?

Are there any printable CD's or DVD's that I should avoid? Any better than
most?

TIA for your opinion


Pigment ink is more waterproof than dye ink, but the 1280 uses their
photographic pigment inks, and not the 'acrylic enamel' type in the
DuraBrite printers. It may not be as waterproof, and will dry slower,
but will be more water resistant than the R220 ink. It's also probably
less likely to clog up because of this.

I prefer Verbatim printable DVDs more for quality than for the print
surface, but you shouldn't have a problem with any brand with the
Epson printers. The Verbatim Silver Printable CD-Rs are apparently not
compatible with Canon printers.

Office Depot has stopped carrying Verbatim printables, unfortunately.
Now they have Maxell, and I'm not sure about the quality of those. If
you're lucky, you may be able to find the 100 stack of Verbatim
Printable DVD-Rs on clearance at your local Office Depot. Mine put
them down to $45 from $90. I have about 300 now, but when I restock
I'll be more likely to go to BJs Wholesale Club, which has 50 Fuji
printable DVD-Rs in jewel cases for $30.

---

http://www.FenrirOnline.com

Computer services, custom metal etching,
arts, crafts, and much more.
  #4  
Old May 29th 06, 07:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Need printer advise



Fenrir Enterprises wrote:

On Mon, 29 May 2006 02:41:51 GMT, Bob Allison
wrote:



I have narrowed my printer choices down to 2.
1.Epson R220
2. Epson 1280

The R220 uses dye ink. Is this a "permanent" ink? By that I mean is it
water resistant, or will it smear if it gets wet? I will be printing photos
and CD/DVD's for self I would like to know the ink won't run if it gets
wet (within reason) My HP used to run if you sneezed near it.



certainly asking this in this forum will not yeild a satisfactory
answer. here is the way to find out. call epson tech support or their
800 sales line. ask them to send you prints from the printers you are
interested in on the paper you are interested in. they will send them
to you. then wet them in the manner you are concerned about and see
what happens.


No, it's not permanent. It's water resistant on Epson's photo paper,
but not on plain paper or on CDs, though it will become more water
resistant once the CD has dried for a few days.



The 1280 on the other hand uses pigment ink. Is there a print head clogging
problem with this ink?


printers that use pigment ink clog easier and the ink usually costs more.

Are there any printable CD's or DVD's that I should avoid? Any better than
most?

TIA for your opinion




Pigment ink is more waterproof than dye ink, but the 1280 uses their
photographic pigment inks, and not the 'acrylic enamel' type in the
DuraBrite printers. It may not be as waterproof, and will dry slower,
but will be more water resistant than the R220 ink. It's also probably
less likely to clog up because of this.

I prefer Verbatim printable DVDs more for quality than for the print
surface, but you shouldn't have a problem with any brand with the
Epson printers. The Verbatim Silver Printable CD-Rs are apparently not
compatible with Canon printers.

Office Depot has stopped carrying Verbatim printables, unfortunately.
Now they have Maxell, and I'm not sure about the quality of those. If
you're lucky, you may be able to find the 100 stack of Verbatim
Printable DVD-Rs on clearance at your local Office Depot. Mine put
them down to $45 from $90. I have about 300 now, but when I restock
I'll be more likely to go to BJs Wholesale Club, which has 50 Fuji
printable DVD-Rs in jewel cases for $30.

---

http://www.FenrirOnline.com

Computer services, custom metal etching,
arts, crafts, and much more.


  #5  
Old May 29th 06, 10:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Need printer advise

measekite wrote:



Fenrir Enterprises wrote:

On Mon, 29 May 2006 02:41:51 GMT, Bob Allison
wrote:



I have narrowed my printer choices down to 2.
1.Epson R220
2. Epson 1280

The R220 uses dye ink. Is this a "permanent" ink? By that I mean is it
water resistant, or will it smear if it gets wet? I will be printing
photos
and CD/DVD's for self I would like to know the ink won't run if it gets
wet (within reason) My HP used to run if you sneezed near it.



certainly asking this in this forum will not yeild a satisfactory
answer. here is the way to find out. call epson tech support or their
800 sales line. ask them to send you prints from the printers you are
interested in on the paper you are interested in. they will send them
to you. then wet them in the manner you are concerned about and see
what happens.


Will then send you prints on CDs?

No, it's not permanent. It's water resistant on Epson's photo paper,
but not on plain paper or on CDs, though it will become more water
resistant once the CD has dried for a few days.



The 1280 on the other hand uses pigment ink. Is there a print head
clogging problem with this ink?


printers that use pigment ink clog easier and the ink usually costs more.

Are there any printable CD's or DVD's that I should avoid? Any better
than most?

TIA for your opinion




Pigment ink is more waterproof than dye ink, but the 1280 uses their
photographic pigment inks, and not the 'acrylic enamel' type in the
DuraBrite printers. It may not be as waterproof, and will dry slower,
but will be more water resistant than the R220 ink. It's also probably
less likely to clog up because of this.

I prefer Verbatim printable DVDs more for quality than for the print
surface, but you shouldn't have a problem with any brand with the
Epson printers. The Verbatim Silver Printable CD-Rs are apparently not
compatible with Canon printers.

Office Depot has stopped carrying Verbatim printables, unfortunately.
Now they have Maxell, and I'm not sure about the quality of those. If
you're lucky, you may be able to find the 100 stack of Verbatim
Printable DVD-Rs on clearance at your local Office Depot. Mine put
them down to $45 from $90. I have about 300 now, but when I restock
I'll be more likely to go to BJs Wholesale Club, which has 50 Fuji
printable DVD-Rs in jewel cases for $30.

---

http://www.FenrirOnline.com

Computer services, custom metal etching,
arts, crafts, and much more.



--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  #6  
Old May 29th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Need printer advise

The 1280 is a dye based photoprinter. It is a very old design by digital
standards but still in the Epson line-up because it gives superb results on
a variety of paper surfaces if you understand color management.
The 1280 is slow, not cheap to run, subject to clogging and the printhead
itself has a limited life expectancy and costs about half the price of a new
printer to replace.
Still I highly value my ancient 1280 and I have not seen any dye based
printer from Canon or HP that compares.
If you want a high quality printer and need to print CDs (why?) consider the
1800. The 1800 is pigment based and yields superb color, better b&w than the
1280 but subject to its own and generic Epson quirks.


  #7  
Old May 29th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Need printer advise

In article ,
says...


ADVICE Allison, ADVICE.


"ADVICE", Allison, "ADVICE".

--
Hywel
http://kibo.org.uk/
  #9  
Old May 29th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Need printer advise

The R1800 has produced some beautiful prints in the year I've owned it.
There has been no tendency for clogging even when I've let as much as a
month go by without using it. My biggest annoyance is the expense of its
cartridges and the fact that they are not particularly large. I intend to
remedy that soon, as the OEM ink runs out by using refillable spongeless
cartridges, which are easy and quick to refill, and compatible ink from MIS.
Though some may find my decision to go that route wrong I find the
evidence of using other MIS ink incontrovertibly positive to achieving
excellent printing results with cost effective savings.

--
Jan Alter

or

"bmoag" wrote in message
om...
The 1280 is a dye based photoprinter. It is a very old design by digital
standards but still in the Epson line-up because it gives superb results
on a variety of paper surfaces if you understand color management.
The 1280 is slow, not cheap to run, subject to clogging and the printhead
itself has a limited life expectancy and costs about half the price of a
new printer to replace.
Still I highly value my ancient 1280 and I have not seen any dye based
printer from Canon or HP that compares.
If you want a high quality printer and need to print CDs (why?) consider
the 1800. The 1800 is pigment based and yields superb color, better b&w
than the 1280 but subject to its own and generic Epson quirks.




  #10  
Old May 29th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Need printer advise



Jan Alter wrote:

The R1800 has produced some beautiful prints in the year I've owned it.
There has been no tendency for clogging even when I've let as much as a
month go by without using it. My biggest annoyance is the expense of its
cartridges and the fact that they are not particularly large. I intend to
remedy that soon, as the OEM ink runs out by using refillable spongeless
cartridges, which are easy and quick to refill, and compatible ink from MIS.


they will not disclose what they are selling. no clogging now but just
wait. and the fact it is pigmented ink makes clogging more probable

Though some may find my decision to go that route wrong I find the
evidence of using other MIS ink incontrovertibly positive to achieving
excellent printing results with cost effective savings.



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turn off laser printer with power strip? Gary Vocks Printers 77 February 16th 06 02:06 PM
Redirecting LPT to HP networked printer mm Printers 2 January 17th 06 06:30 PM
tip: lpr printer to the router's printer port [email protected]_abcdefg.edu Printers 0 January 4th 05 03:28 AM
Printer Ports Unseen Stephen Grossman Printers 0 December 28th 04 08:14 PM
last comment Was Curious Dell Computers 15 November 4th 03 12:17 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 HardwareBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.