"IBM and Sony cram up to 330 terabytes into tiny tape cartridge"

Old August 3rd 17, 06:38 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Default "IBM and Sony cram up to 330 terabytes into tiny tape cartridge"

"IBM and Sony cram up to 330 terabytes into tiny tape cartridge"

https://arstechnica.com/information-...ape-cartridge/

"Sputtered magnetic layer, lubricant, and new heads enable massive
200Gb/inch density."

I have bought my last tape cartridge but I have to admit, 330 TB on a
single tape cartridge is very impressive.

Nowadays, I like using additional internal hard drives and external hard
drives for our corporate LAN backup of 3.5 TB.

Lynn
Old August 4th 17, 04:58 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 12:38:12 -0500, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

"IBM and Sony cram up to 330 terabytes into tiny tape cartridge"

https://arstechnica.com/information-...ape-cartridge/

"Sputtered magnetic layer, lubricant, and new heads enable massive
200Gb/inch density."

I have bought my last tape cartridge but I have to admit, 330 TB on a
single tape cartridge is very impressive.

Nowadays, I like using additional internal hard drives and external hard
drives for our corporate LAN backup of 3.5 TB.

Agreed, it's very impressive, but it's not good enough to bring me back
to tape. I wonder how much of a market still exists for that.

Old August 4th 17, 11:28 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Friday, August 4, 2017 at 1:38:19 AM UTC+8, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"IBM and Sony cram up to 330 terabytes into tiny tape cartridge"

https://arstechnica.com/information-...ape-cartridge/

How long does it take to write 330 TB? I imagine you would start a backup
Friday evening and it finishes Monday morning just as the workaholics
arrive.
Old August 4th 17, 03:02 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

On 08/03/2017 11:58 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:

"IBM and Sony cram up to 330 terabytes into tiny tape cartridge"

https://arstechnica.com/information-...ape-cartridge/

"Sputtered magnetic layer, lubricant, and new heads enable massive
200Gb/inch density."

I have bought my last tape cartridge but I have to admit, 330 TB on a
single tape cartridge is very impressive.

Nowadays, I like using additional internal hard drives and external hard
drives for our corporate LAN backup of 3.5 TB.

Agreed, it's very impressive, but it's not good enough to bring me back
to tape. I wonder how much of a market still exists for that.

Not so many years ago, a member of my extended family told me that the
company for which he worked had large-living-room-sized robotic
tape-drive backup systems.

I still have my DDS4 8-tape autoloader and the tapes it wrote (multiple
generations of backups), but the more recent stuff is all on my FreeNAS
machine.

Perce

Old August 4th 17, 04:43 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 10:02:57 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

[...]

I used to work in a military command center, where one of the daily
tasks every evening at 2300 hours was to change the reel-to-reel tape
that recorded our approximately 48 phone lines. One Sunday night there
was a midair collision involving two of our aircraft, no survivors, and
moments after that occurred there was a hunting accident involving two
of our military members. One guy had tossed his rifle onto the seat of
the pickup and it discharged. At the time, all they knew was there was
an awful lot of blood everywhere and the victim had gone into shock,
(testicles blown off), so since this was the age before cell phones I
had to coordinate EMS for the hunting accident *and* local LE support to
cordone off the aircraft crash area.

The next day, investigators stopped by to pick up the tape from the
night before so they could recreate the timeline and conversations
regarding the midair collision. The tape was blank. We stepped back a
day, then a week, then a month, finally finding the last good day. That
was a wake-up call that we needed to be testing the tapes on a regular
basis. I hope they aren't still using that tape system, all these years
later, but it's military, so who knows. Things tend to stick around long
after their Best Used By date.

Old August 4th 17, 05:35 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

On 08/04/2017 11:43 AM, Mark Perkins wrote:

[...]

My own tape setup did a verify after write.

Perce

Old August 5th 17, 12:10 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

On 8/4/2017 5:28 AM, wrote:
On Friday, August 4, 2017 at 1:38:19 AM UTC+8, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"IBM and Sony cram up to 330 terabytes into tiny tape cartridge"

https://arstechnica.com/information-...ape-cartridge/

How long does it take to write 330 TB? I imagine you would start a backup
Friday evening and it finishes Monday morning just as the workaholics
arrive.

It take 48 hours to write 3.5 TB to an external USB3 hard drive with the
15 Windows PCs on our LAN.

Of course, the 330 TB may be from a single "device" and thus faster.

Lynn