Quad 1920x1440

Old August 21st 11, 09:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
W[_3_]

Default Quad 1920x1440

Does any videocard vendor make a card that will connect by four separate DVI
connectors to four 1920x1440 displays?

Old August 21st 11, 10:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Le Forgeron[_2_]

Le 21/08/2011 10:01, W nous fit lire :
Does any videocard vendor make a card that will connect by four separate DVI
connectors to four 1920x1440 displays?

ASUS EAH3870X2/G/3DHTI/1G
(with ATI/AMD chips), 3 years old already.
(double HD3870 on a single card)

It's simpler to make a dual card system if you have the room and power.

Or you can go for the Quadro NVS 420.. but have to avoid all displayport
to DVI converter (so the PNY model is not the one you want, neither
leadtek).

4 or 6 display ports card are easier to find.
Old August 21st 11, 11:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

W wrote:
Does any videocard vendor make a card that will connect by four separate DVI
connectors to four 1920x1440 displays?

The card needs dual GPUs. The connectors won't fit on a single
faceplate, so the card faceplate would have to be dual width.
Or, a common solution, is to use a DMS-59 connector, and
externally, there is a "Y" cable. That's a way to save
faceplate space. I don't know if there are enough pins
on DMS-59, to support dual link DVI times two.

If I start here, and select "more options", I can find seven video
cards listed with four DVI capability.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...cs-Video-Cards

These are the seven cards. Not all are "winners".

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&srchInDe sc=

This one uses dual DMS-59 and adapter cables, to make quad DVI.
And I suspect they're single link. If you read the single customer
review, you can see it's a "trick" design, not worth having.
It uses one GPU, and presumably an outboard adapter to drive
more monitors.

This one has dual GPU. And would have a PCI switching chip inside,
to feed the two GPUs from a single video card slot. I think
this is the most practical solution of all the ones I could find.

VisionTek 900307 Radeon HD 4670 X2 2GB HDCP Ready Video Card $285

http://www.visiontek.com/4000-series...d-4670-x2.html

"Display output 4 x DL DVIs on-board"

A single HD 4670 uses 47.1 watts max, so if you used that
card in a gaming or 3D situation, power will be 94W plus
a few more watts for the PCI Express switch chip. But
in desktop idle, the 4670 draws 8.7W, so twice that
puts you in the 20W range. So it may run cool enough
as a stock trading monitor driver.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/gra...b_5.html#sect0

Newegg also has a card based on dual 8400GS GPUs, but the bus
interface is PCI, so all those pixels are flowing through a
too-slow bus interface.

So the VisionTek in this case, is the only practical solution
in a "quad specific" design. It would provide maximum flexibility.

*******

You can also get video cards with Eyefinity.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/techn...eyefinity.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyefini...y_technologies

However, then you're fooling around with DisplayPort to dual
link DVI adapters.

The mini DisplayPort to DVI adapters, seem to give single-link outputs.

This active displayport adapter, supports dual link DVI $91

So if I take two of those (2 x $91) plus this $155 video card,
I can drive four dual link DVI. A downside of this card, is the
heatpipes extending above the card. Some business computers,
won't have a wide enough computer case, so you'd want to check
there is sufficient clearance, both in length, and in height.

HIS IceQ X Turbo H679QNT1G2M Radeon HD 6790 1GB HDCP Ready Eyefinity

So while Eyefinity sounds like fun, it has lots of things
to check, before you can use it. Like, does the control panel
really allow the display modes you want ? And so on.

The VisionTek 900307 is older technology (dual GPU, no Eyefinity),
but with fewer surprises.

*******

There are a whole raft of things like PNY cards, perhaps Quadro
family, which drive multiple monitors. I can't even tell what
connector is on there.

OK, I see what's needed. There is a version of the NVS450, that
comes with adapters. But then the result is single link DVI (using
passive DisplayPort to single link DVI adapter).

http://www3.pny.com/NVIDIA-Quadro-NV...P2818C364.aspx

And yet, the card without adapters, lists "Maximum Digital Resolution
2560 x 1600 at 60Hz". So maybe that takes active adapters ?

http://www3.pny.com/NVIDIA-Quadro-NV...P2738C364.aspx

Nice card, but still a pain in the ass to hook up. And, expensive,
when you include the price of adapters. It looks like active
adapters to make dual link DVI, are in the $100 each price range.
So it would be (Price_of_card plus four*active_adapter) unless
you used monitors with DisplayPort native on them.

Paul
Old August 21st 11, 10:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
W[_3_]

"Le Forgeron" wrote in message
Le 21/08/2011 10:01, W nous fit lire :
Does any videocard vendor make a card that will connect by four separate
DVI
connectors to four 1920x1440 displays?

ASUS EAH3870X2/G/3DHTI/1G
(with ATI/AMD chips), 3 years old already.
(double HD3870 on a single card)

It's simpler to make a dual card system if you have the room and power.

Or you can go for the Quadro NVS 420.. but have to avoid all displayport
to DVI converter (so the PNY model is not the one you want, neither
leadtek).

4 or 6 display ports card are easier to find.

I have NVS 440, but unfortunately this thing appears to use DVI-Analog not
DVI-D?

Old August 21st 11, 10:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

W wrote:
"Le Forgeron" wrote in message
Le 21/08/2011 10:01, W nous fit lire :
Does any videocard vendor make a card that will connect by four separate
DVI
connectors to four 1920x1440 displays?

ASUS EAH3870X2/G/3DHTI/1G
(with ATI/AMD chips), 3 years old already.
(double HD3870 on a single card)

It's simpler to make a dual card system if you have the room and power.

Or you can go for the Quadro NVS 420.. but have to avoid all displayport
to DVI converter (so the PNY model is not the one you want, neither
leadtek).

4 or 6 display ports card are easier to find.

I have NVS 440, but unfortunately this thing appears to use DVI-Analog not
DVI-D?

NVS 440 info, for the PNY version of the card. Verify this is the
correct part number.

http://www.pny.com/products/quadro/n...16NvsPciEx.asp

"PACKAGE CONTAINS

2-DMS-59 to dual VGA cables

(DMS-59 to dual DVI-I cable is optional. Order P/N 91004086)
"

That means the DMS-59 on the faceplate, supports analog and
it supports single link DVI (up to 1920x1200 resolution).

If you use their default cable, it has VGA connectors.

If you purchase the optional pair of adapter cables, you
get DVI-I connectors. DVI-I can be used for digital connections.
And with four DVI-I to VGA passive adapter plugs, you could also
extract the analog on the cable.

Your NVS 440 doesn't appear to meet your requirements,
because it's "single link" DVI (and at that, requires
the optional cables). So you'd be immediately disappointed
if you bought the DMS-59 to dual DVI cables and it was
limited to 1920x1200.

Paul