Which driver would you use for Asus EN6600?

Old April 7th 07, 11:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
257roberts

Default Which driver would you use for Asus EN6600?

Hello, My son gave me his older ASUS EN6600 video card. I need some
drivers for XP and Vista. The ASUS site seems to be down all the
time. Is there any place else to get the drivers? Nvidia maybe? The
card I have is the "Silencer" model with no fan. I'm installing this
into my Dell machine at work. What size power supply would you guess
it would take? I think my PC has either a 250W or 300W supply. Many
thanks to you nvidia gurus.

Old April 7th 07, 11:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_2_]

Your PSU is too underpowered for that modern video card.

--

DaveW

___________
ups.com...

Old April 8th 07, 12:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

257roberts wrote:
Hello, My son gave me his older ASUS EN6600 video card. I need some
drivers for XP and Vista. The ASUS site seems to be down all the
time. Is there any place else to get the drivers? Nvidia maybe? The
card I have is the "Silencer" model with no fan. I'm installing this
into my Dell machine at work. What size power supply would you guess
it would take? I think my PC has either a 250W or 300W supply. Many
thanks to you nvidia gurus.

The power in 3D mode is listed as 27.6W here, for a vanilla 6600.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...00-ddr2_4.html

To know whether the PSU is enough, you would need to post what is printed
on the label of the power supply. As well as indicate what processor
is being used, how many hard drives, CD or DVD drives. The processor
and video card are fairly large consumers, the drives less so.

If you already had a video card in the machine, and are replacing it
with the 6600, I expect the incremental increase in power is minimal.
If there was no video card before, then now you are using 27.6 more
watts, max.

Paul
Old April 8th 07, 02:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
257roberts

On Apr 7, 6:13 pm, Paul wrote:
257roberts wrote:
[...]

The processor is a Pentium 4, one hard drive, one CDRW drive and one
powered hub. I am pretty sure the video is on-board with shared ram.
As far as the power supply, I will need to look at it Monday when I go
in to work. The 28 watts extra doesn't sound too bad, I think if the
machine was configured with the 300W PS then I'll be okay. Still need
the video drivers though. Any suggestions with these?

Old April 8th 07, 03:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

257roberts wrote:
On Apr 7, 6:13 pm, Paul wrote:
257roberts wrote:
[...]

Have you been to the Nvidia web page ?

You can follow the handy selection process he

Or there is an archive of older drivers here, for example:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

And at the bottom of it, there is the FTP server. Note
that you can find manuals and drivers here.

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/91.31/

HTH,
Paul
Old April 9th 07, 12:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
257roberts

On Apr 7, 9:36 pm, Paul wrote:
257roberts wrote:

You can follow the handy selection process hehttp://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Or there is an archive of older drivers here, for example:http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

And at the bottom of it, there is the FTP server. Note
that you can find manuals and drivers here.

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/91.31/

HTH,
Paul- Hide quoted text -

I have downloaded the drivers from Nvidia site for XP and Vista.
Guess these will work okay even though the card is made by ASUS?
Thanks for your help.

Old April 9th 07, 12:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* DaveW:

Your PSU is too underpowered for that modern video card.

Again spreading BS, DaveW? Still don't have a clue what you are talking
about?

FYI: the Geforce 6600 series doesn't need much power (around 28W in 3D
and even less when running 2D apps only), and basically these cards run
just fine even with a 230W PSU.

Benjamin
Old April 9th 07, 12:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* 257roberts:

Hello, My son gave me his older ASUS EN6600 video card. I need some
drivers for XP and Vista. The ASUS site seems to be down all the
time. Is there any place else to get the drivers? Nvidia maybe?

Sure, get them from Nvidia. They made the GPU, and they also are making
the drivers (all Asus does is putting one copy of the Nvidia drivers on
their website, and rarely updates them). So it's always the best
solution to get the drivers from there...

The
card I have is the "Silencer" model with no fan. I'm installing this
into my Dell machine at work. What size power supply would you guess
it would take? I think my PC has either a 250W or 300W supply.

Should be enough. Just be sure that the card gets cooled somehow, if it
doesn't have a fan then the PC must provide a sufficient internal air
flow...

Benjamin
Old April 9th 07, 01:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
257roberts

On Apr 8, 6:15 pm, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
* 257roberts:

[...]

How much cooling so normal BTX case designs have? The optiplex GX280
I have at work I'm pretty sure is a BTX case design.

Old April 9th 07, 07:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* 257roberts:

How much cooling so normal BTX case designs have? The optiplex GX280
I have at work I'm pretty sure is a BTX case design.

Don't worry, the Dell Optiplex have all a more than sufficient cooling
design and can take passive cooled cards with no problem.

Benjamin