RMA horror at Aria technology

Old July 4th 03, 11:25 AM
EBuyerdotcon

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 10:04:49 +0100, "nigel. carron"
wrote:

Who knows - after all given AMDs cores ability to disintegrate at will -
the CPU could have been fine when first tested - damaged when removed or
when retested. AMD CPUs have a basic design fault IMHO - INTEL p3S AND
Celeron IIs didn't have such fragile cores - I moved from AMD to P4s for
two reasons excess heat & core fragility on AMD cpus makes them far less
attractive than a P4. Last PC was a 2000XP and TBH until CPU was in and
tested fine I wasn't sure it was not going to end up damaged. I may
insist on P4 cpu's and board's in future

I personally struggle to see how anyone can chip a core installing a
heatsink. (little story follows)

When I built my current PC i was stupid enough to get a thermo-sonic
thermo-engine HSF. The base of it has a circular bottom around the
size of a 10p piece. Getting this to fit dead center on the cpu is
potluck because you obviously can't see the center when you fix the
sink into place.

Earlier this year my northbridge fan packed in (Asus A7v266-E) so i
replced it with a zalman heatsink instead, to do this I had to remove
my mobo. On putting everything back together my pc wouldn't post, beep
or nothing, the fans spun up but the monitor didn't come on, nada. I
tried switching it on over 30 times with varied results.

I eventually took it down to my local pc shop who had my pc for a
weekend and couldn't figure it out either.

When I got it back by sheer luck I got it to boot up on one occasion
for a short time with just my board with the essentials plugged in on
a chunk of cardboard, before failing again. After much hair pulling it
turrned out the cpu heatsink had moved less than 1mm during me
replacing the northbridge fan and wasn't touching the core completely.

After cleaning up the core, applying some arctic silver and putting
the HSF back on it worked fine perfect and has done ever since.

Now if anyone was going to break a cpu core it'd be me, the force
required to fix the thermo-engine is thumb breaking, yet after as much
abuse both physically and thermally my cpu has recieved it still works
fine. (Wether my mobo has thermal protection is anyones guess).

I can't understand how this group in general is so quick to judge folk
when it comes to returning cpu's, its like its a predetermined thing.
"The CPU is DOA, its the user installing the heatsink to blame".

EBuyerdotcon "Made the wrong choice, didn't you?"
www.ebuyerdotcon.co.uk
Old July 4th 03, 12:38 PM
nigel. carron

In message , EBuyerdotcon
writes
wrote:

[...]

Sorry but that's one pile of carp - if the Thermo engine wasn't touching
an Athlon CPU it would NOT stop it switching on - and the core would
self destruct in seconds - far more likely you had a short somewhere and
the rebuild cured that problem. But to suggest the AMD CPU detected no
cooler and refused to boot is IMHO - rubbish..

But yes TEs were nasty pieces of junk.. As were a lot of AMD heatsinks
hard to fit without damaging cores..
--
njc AKA (Paypal & nochex e-mail)
Old July 5th 03, 09:10 AM
Paul

In article , palco
writes

As for AMD chips i will definately be voting with my feet back to the
Intel camp,my only reason for going AMD this time was to try the
Nforce2 socket A motherboards but now i think a working celeron cpu is
much better than a dead brittle XP chip.

I've built upwards of 200 AMD-based systems without a single problem
caused by damaging the chip. Starting with early Duron 600 up to my last
build a few days ago which was an XP3200 project.

Just for interest, I built a couple of P4-based machines a month ago,
using the retail hsf... the pressure exerted by the hsf was so great
that upon fitting it out of the case the mobo was warped.
--
Paul B The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new
respectability to uninformed opinion. - John Lawton
Old July 5th 03, 03:55 PM
Kevin Seal

In message , Paul writes
In article , palco
writes

major tale of woe snipped

Have you tracked your RMA on their website, what was being reported?

I've got a motherboard RMA'd back at the moment. Where on their website
can you track the RMA?
--
Kevin Seal (at work)
Y2K Fazer
Old July 6th 03, 11:23 PM
Mark Gillespie

Anyway i intend to steer clear of internet computer components
retailers until i come across a really decent one,the aggravation and
duplicity is simply not worth it.

Try Novatech (www.novatech.co.uk) or Komplett (www.komplett.co.uk), in my
expenience, they both have excellent after sales. In reality, no company
can acheive 100%, but these 2 come about as close as your can get, and they
prices (most of the time) as quite keen..

I stopped using Aria when their prices went up, and their after sales
service went through the floor (they seem totally incapable is
communicating with each other, let alone the customer and generally make a
pigs ear out of most of their after sales support - somebody needs a real
kick up the arse there...).