Odd speeds SSDFlash_Drv

Old June 8th 13, 02:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Odd speeds SSDFlash_Drv

To the USB flash drive, penstick, I'm getting CD speeds -- 3000 Kbtyes
-- _from_ the SSD. Anything else is about SSD class. HDs inherently
set their own limits to the SSD, whereas the SSD to HD is 2, x3 faster
than HD-to-HD.

Messed up situation in getting off the SSD, to the USBflash stick, for
sure, 3, x4 slower than if going similarly off a HD to the same stick.
Newfangled Intel USB2 ports, new to me, but a damn sight better w/ a
slow SDD one-way-trip, overall, than driver problem limits at USB1 I
had to get over. No problems w/ 3.5" docking stations, either.
Old June 8th 13, 08:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Flasherly wrote:
To the USB flash drive, penstick, I'm getting CD speeds -- 3000 Kbtyes
-- _from_ the SSD. Anything else is about SSD class. HDs inherently
set their own limits to the SSD, whereas the SSD to HD is 2, x3 faster
than HD-to-HD.

Messed up situation in getting off the SSD, to the USBflash stick, for
sure, 3, x4 slower than if going similarly off a HD to the same stick.
Newfangled Intel USB2 ports, new to me, but a damn sight better w/ a
slow SDD one-way-trip, overall, than driver problem limits at USB1 I
had to get over. No problems w/ 3.5" docking stations, either.

Run a read benchmark with HDTune, on each device.

http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe

Is any bottleneck evident ?

Is either device slow then ?

Both SSD drives and USB flash sticks, will have a flat
line for the benchmark curve. The USB2 interface, has a
roughly 30MB/sec upper limit, which for some USB flash sticks,
will limit the rate they can transfer.

There are some very bad USB flash sticks for sale at retail.
I have a Sandisk Ultra 8GB I bought this year, that only
does 2 or 3MB/sec. Pathetic. The LED inside, flashes at
an irregular rate when it is operating. The controller
seems to be a seriously bad design. I should really
crush it with a hammer, and have a look inside...

Paul
Old June 9th 13, 03:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 15:56:41 -0400, Paul wrote:

Flasherly wrote:
[...]

Nope, neither is notably in the Class Draggin-Butt Slow -except- for
that one instance of coming off the SSD to a USB memory pendrive
(slows to average 3-4, maybe 5 MB/sec over a 1.5G of assorted sized
data files, oddly down to the 3 side of it when hitting the bigger
files). I can see optimally, reading it, 20+ for platter HDs -- close
to my higest optimal and fastest Patriot 8G pendrive -- 25MB/sec (to
a HD) for a quad-channel and a Class 10 device. This one,
Color-(somesuch name, heh, w/out LEDs), is suboptimal to that,
slightly slower, but faster yet than a Sony Class10 32G micro-card,
fitted in a Kingston USB pendrive-type adaptor.

This TC is all I've tested out of my three best, (8/32/32), although
off a 640G 7200 Seagate, to the SDD, the Samsung SSDl hits
80,000Kbytes/s. Only thing spectacular, and rest of the SDD
experience is roughly normal, thereabouts, to slower speeds I'm used
to this neck of the woods. (Seeing 40MB/s on a HD used to be having a
real good day.)

Team Color Turn 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (Brown)
Model TG032GE902CX
Item #: N82E16820313090
19.99 free ship

Help with USB speeds [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 7 January 3rd 10 06:54 PM
Ram speeds Eric General 0 December 24th 04 06:34 AM
Not getting 2.0 speeds mark Storage (alternative) 5 September 25th 04 02:45 AM
2 HDs and speeds are not the same??? pm Storage (alternative) 5 February 22nd 04 02:44 PM
FSB Speeds Kris Rawlison Overclocking AMD Processors 1 January 5th 04 01:01 AM