Minimum Nvidia for Dual DVI 1920x1440 Monitors

Old August 21st 11, 09:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
W[_3_]

Default Minimum Nvidia for Dual DVI 1920x1440 Monitors

We want to put dual 1920x1440 DVI monitors on some of our workstations.
We have nVidia geforce 6800 cards installed, but unfortunately these appear
to be limited to dual 1920x1200. What is the minimum nVidia card required
for dual dvi 1920x1440?

Our applications will be primarily business applications, so geforce may be
overkill.

Old August 21st 11, 10:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Le Forgeron[_2_]

Le 21/08/2011 10:00, W nous fit lire :
We want to put dual 1920x1440 DVI monitors on some of our workstations.
We have nVidia geforce 6800 cards installed, but unfortunately these appear
to be limited to dual 1920x1200. What is the minimum nVidia card required
for dual dvi 1920x1440?

Our applications will be primarily business applications, so geforce may be
overkill.

Past 1920x1200, you need a dual link DVI.
(that's a single DVI connector)

Check your card and cables.
Old August 21st 11, 10:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

W wrote:
We want to put dual 1920x1440 DVI monitors on some of our workstations.
We have nVidia geforce 6800 cards installed, but unfortunately these appear
to be limited to dual 1920x1200. What is the minimum nVidia card required
for dual dvi 1920x1440?

Our applications will be primarily business applications, so geforce may be
overkill.

This table hasn't been kept updated.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/extreme_hd_gpu.html

You can also look at specific cards here and see if they have dual link DVI.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_family.html

It helps if the workstations are modern enough to support
PCI Express cards, as throwing "AGP slot only" in as a
requirement, isn't going to help. If you can use modern cards,
odds are good of finding more solutions.

Ultimately, you buy the card from a card manufacturer. And
you have to verify they're offering two dual link connectors
on the card. The card manufacturer could save a few pennies,
by cutting corners, so in that sense, the NVidia tables aren't
a guarantee. They're an enticement.

This table, gives you a rough chronological order of introduction,
so you can identify the modern versus ancient cards. You can tell
from the MSRP column, whether the card is expensive or not, and
whether it's a candidate for a cost effective upgrade.

http://www.gpureview.com/videocards.php

Or, you can go through a list of cards, sorted by price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...CE&PageSize=20

This one has a PCI Express main slot connector, and two DVI available. $75
It's a marketing gimmick, that it has to cost $75. They generally
charge a bit more for that connector configuration. If you want
the cheapest card possible, generally you don't get to choose
the connector configuration. So $75 is getting two DVI at the moment.

EVGA 01G-P3-1431-KR GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB HDCP Ready Video Card

Then, we have to check it supports dual link DVI. And by some miracle,
I can actually confirm that. In many cases, even with a downloaded
spec sheet from the manufacturer, they can't seem to capture the
important features. This time, I got lucky.

http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/01G-P3-1431.pdf

"Two Dual-Link DVI-I HDCP Capable Connectors"

That card won't be a power-house of 3D processing power, but it
will run a stock trading screen with text on it.

HTH,
Paul
Old August 23rd 11, 07:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
W[_3_]

"Paul" wrote in message
W wrote:
[...]

How do you think a GT430 dual DVI would compare against an older gaming card
like GEForce 7900GTX dual DVI? For most 2D applications and simple video
playback I guess there would be no noticeable difference? What would be
typical energy consumption for both cards in a business application setting
(no gaming)?

Your posts are really really helpful and comprehensive. Thanks.

Old August 24th 11, 04:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

W wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
W wrote:
[...]

The 7900GTX is listed here. 31.2W at idle. 51.5W in 2D peak (no gaming).

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video...00gt_power.gif

The GT430 is pretty low power. 2.7W at idle. 13.5W in 2D peak (no gaming).

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video...b430_power.png

This benchmark result was easy for me to get. Getting good head-to-head
benchmarks, using the same processor and game for testing, is a lot of work,
but gives better quality numbers for comparison purposes. At least this
should dissuade you from replacing, in the name of getting a higher frame
rate.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

GeForce 7900 GTX 728
GeForce GT 430 692

The most powerful card in that list, is about 5x more powerful.

Paul