Best GPU for maximum memory i/o for TDP of 90 watts.

Old May 20th 11, 04:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.arch,comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.programming.threads
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Default Best GPU for maximum memory i/o for TDP of 90 watts.

Another benefit of such a card could be that I could my creative labs
soundblaster... which is a bit of a danger because of it's golden back
plate... but I will attach some sticky tape to it... to hopefully make it
non-conductive as a protective measure against plug shock...

Alternatively I could use optimal cable from motherboard... or perhaps even
opticable cable from breakout box that came with sb... but I don't think
that will work well since it's limited to stereo or something or perhaps it
depends on software.

This passively cooled stuff seems to be a real nice solution... but again
will it work ?! perhaps it will again obstract airflow over the card...
but it's worth a try !

Hopefully asrock motherboard has temperature sensors so I can monitor what
happens... I should check if it has !

Bye,
Skybuck.

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
.home.nl...

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
.home.nl...
Ok,

First candidate, available at webstore near me too !

This one is elidly a GTX version, though the name has GT in it hmmm:

1. ASUS ENGT440 DC SL/DI/1GD3

http://uk.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NV...0_DC_SLDI1GD3/

128 bit bus.

Another candidate:

2. ASUS ENGT520 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP)

Only 64 bit bus.

And another one: it's heatsick design looks a bit weird and possibly
problematic, only 50 watt it says but further inspection necessary.

3. ASUS ENGT430 DC SL/DI/1GD3

This is an old one and probably sold out, still interesting to see, but I
will probably skip this one:

4. ASUS EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD2(LP)

Hmm it seems XFX has no more nvidia cards... I wonder why... perhaps they
got in a fight or something or perhaps they were brided... well to bad for
them.

Well the adventage of buying a graphics card is that I could re-use it for
a new system.

This way I don't have to upgrade anything else...

Now I can just buy new motherboard and replace graphics card and then I
should be back up soon ! =D

Now I have to make a decision which one will I buy... they all pretty
cheap... below 100 bucks... nice ! =D This leaves room for me to buy
two motherboards in case one dies again ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 20th 11, 04:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.arch,comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.programming.threads
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Hmm the specifications at the asus website totally sucks...

It doesn't mention directx versions and it doesn't mention power or tdp's

This makese comparing difficult.

Though this one so far seems to be a real beauty:

http://uk.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NV...ILENTDI1GD3LP/

Only single slot and passively cooled and fully directx 11

Can you believe it ?!

Almost seems like a perfect card for me... however only 64 bit.

It will probably be fast enough for dx9 games which there are still plenty
of

It will probably be able to do 1920x1200 desktop all cards can do that I
would think ! That's just a couple of 100 mb's per second or so, yeah.

Gonna look at the rest now.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 20th 11, 04:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.arch,comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.programming.threads
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
.home.nl...
Hmm the specifications at the asus website totally sucks...

It doesn't mention directx versions and it doesn't mention power or tdp's

This makese comparing difficult.

Though this one so far seems to be a real beauty:

http://uk.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NV...ILENTDI1GD3LP/

Only single slot and passively cooled and fully directx 11

Hmm that picture is highly deceptive.

It's actually a dual slot cooler !

Asus is lieing again !

What a bunch of liers !

Good thing my webstore doesn't lie and warned me with pictures it's dual
slot !

So this removes it's adventage.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 20th 11, 04:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.arch,comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.programming.threads
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
.home.nl...

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
.home.nl...
Ok,

First candidate, available at webstore near me too !

This one is elidly a GTX version, though the name has GT in it hmmm:

1. ASUS ENGT440 DC SL/DI/1GD3

http://uk.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NV...0_DC_SLDI1GD3/

128 bit bus.

Another candidate:

2. ASUS ENGT520 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP)

Only 64 bit bus.

And another one: it's heatsick design looks a bit weird and possibly
problematic, only 50 watt it says but further inspection necessary.

3. ASUS ENGT430 DC SL/DI/1GD3

This is an old one and probably sold out, still interesting to see, but I
will probably skip this one:

4. ASUS EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD2(LP)

^ This one is directx 10.1 only so this can be dismissed.
DX11 probably better for cuda and games too.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 20th 11, 04:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.arch,comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.programming.threads
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
.home.nl...

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
.home.nl...
Ok,

First candidate, available at webstore near me too !

This one is elidly a GTX version, though the name has GT in it hmmm:

1. ASUS ENGT440 DC SL/DI/1GD3

http://uk.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NV...0_DC_SLDI1GD3/

128 bit bus.

Another candidate:

2. ASUS ENGT520 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP)

Only 64 bit bus.

^

Ok I think we have a winner.

Number 2 is the most modern one... it supports opengl 4.1

It only takes 29 watts of power at full speed which is the lowest of all.

And best of all it claims it supports 3D Vision !

Which means games could be played in 3D which could be cool ! =D

The heatsink design is a bit weird and worries me a bit...

So I am gonna have to find a review.

Number 4 used the same heatsink design so I could view reviews about it's
heatsink.

If the heatsink is ok we could have winner...

But first I need to inspect other details like bandwidth and such ! =D

But I shouldn't be too picky ! =D

But it's bandwidth should at least be enough to play all directx9 games in
1920x1200 at at least 30 fps ! =D

So gotta investigate that !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 20th 11, 05:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.arch,comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.programming.threads
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

I want to see a quake 3 benchmark of this card at 1920x1200.

When such basic benchmarks are missing you know something is wrong

If this card can't even play quake 3 at 1920x1200 then something is terribly
wrong ! LOL.

Old May 20th 11, 06:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.arch,comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.programming.threads
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Hmm...

AMD has a very interesting one too, done by asus with passive heat sink
too... and it seems to be much faster:

Asus ATI Radeon 6450 1024MB GDDR3 PCIe - Passive / LP

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...3%28lp%29.html

Also this review puts them against each other:

The GT 520 versus the Radone 6450:

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/the-b...gddr5-vs-gddr3

Reading it now !

Going to be interesting !

I might have to give up on cuda... would be bad/sad but then I would go with
opencl... which might be better... more code to write... but at least
vendor-neutral

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 20th 11, 07:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.arch,comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.programming.threads
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
.home.nl...
Hmm...

AMD has a very interesting one too, done by asus with passive heat sink
too... and it seems to be much faster:

Asus ATI Radeon 6450 1024MB GDDR3 PCIe - Passive / LP

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...3%28lp%29.html

^ Ok this one is crap.

Also this review puts them against each other:

The GT 520 versus the Radone 6450:

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/the-b...gddr5-vs-gddr3

The GT 520 is kinda crap too but at least low power.

Perhaps the GT 440 is a better choice, it should be at least double as fast
as the GT 520.

Though perhaps GT 520 better otherwise me gaming all the time lol.

But I do wanna see Battlefield 3 in action some time or something like
that...

Would hate it if GT 520 could not run it at say 640x480 or something... like
below 1fps or something.

So perhaps GT 440 better choice... can't find a review of the asus one...
with the heat sink and slower memory... hmmm...

60 watt's without a fan seems impossible to me...

So perhaps GT 520 better... even this one is already pretty hot at 30 tdp...

My PIII 450 mhz probably runs at that wattage too and it needs a fan !

So perhaps these cards even run impossibly hot.

This could mean they all suck.

If I stick with my GTX 7900 then everything will run fast for sure... but
then can't use soundblaster but maybe can't use it anyway with these hot
cards.

And no cuda, except emulation... which would be ****ty slow.

Also cpu still hot at 90 watts so doesn't make too much sense to suddenly go
back to 30 watts...

At least no more dust problems hopefully.

The weird thing is webstore says the gt 520 is 3d ready while according to
another review it wasn't.... hmm...

Also the additionale back plate for the gt 520 is a bit clunky... why not
attach it to it ?!? weird...

Also the gt 520 is opengl 4.1 which has better capability for opencl
interoperability.

So time for me to cut the chord and make a decision.

I am gonna go with the gt 520... it's only 53 bucks or so... though there is
an asterix...

53 bucks lol... I spent more on pizza in a week lol.

If the card sucks... well then I can always replace it with my gtx 7900 and
enjoy it's speed.

So I am gonna give the gt 520 a try so I can give cuda a try at hardware
support.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 20th 11, 11:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.graphics.api.opengl
Nicolas Bonneel[_4_]

Le 20/05/2011 04:29, Skybuck Flying a écrit :
The problem with these graphics card cases is:

They are not transparent... so it's very hard to see if there is dust inside
or not.

Thanks for pointing out the very interesting computer graphics problem
of dust in graphics cards. However, there is an even more interesting
problem : is there a graphics card which would prevent you from spamming
5 newsgroups with 17 messages (each ; with no followup) about your
personal shopping list ?
Old May 20th 11, 12:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.arch,comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.programming.threads
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Ok,

I thought it through some more...

I don't like what I see... it's all too expensive for my taste for very
little in return.

The time is just not right to buy a new PC.

Therefore instead of trying to save on "transport costs" I am instead going
to save on "useless hardware costs".

So I am going to spent the very minimum of getting my system back up running
and the only thing I need for that is a new motherboard.

Once it's up running I will take it from there.

However there is one little thingy I still need to investigate...

Can I run "parallel nsight with cuda emulation"... probably not but I should
try anyway...

If it's not possible then to bad for cuda... I am sticking with this plan
for now.

I am going to order the motherboard and that's final...

Also because the motherboard itself is very limited...

I would need a router, and I don't really need a router and a router would
slow down my gaming... so fok that.

I will just wait until Battlefield 3 comes out, cracked and all... and then
watch some benchmarks or something, and watch new hardware.

Current hardware probably can't play it at 1920x1200 anyway.. unless you
wanna burn your computer literay.

So later... see you in the future ! =D

By doing this I also don't need the old hardware anymore which I was gonna
purchase... the web store timed out... screw that ! =D

So minimal spending to spend more later on

Bye,
Skybuck.