Light stays on after Turn Off

Old December 27th 03, 06:33 PM
Sidmon

Default Light stays on after Turn Off

Have just built first machine. The PC case light LEd to say the machine is
turned on stays on even after shut down from windows. If I turn off from the
wall socket and turn back on again the light stays off but everytime on shut
down from windows the machine turns everything off except the green led power
light. It is plugged into the correct part of the Aopen gn600 motherboard as
well....I checked that first....any ideas anyone?
Old December 27th 03, 11:10 PM
mcr

Sidmon wrote:

Have just built first machine. The PC case light LEd to say the machine is
turned on stays on even after shut down from windows. If I turn off from the
wall socket and turn back on again the light stays off but everytime on shut
down from windows the machine turns everything off except the green led power
light. It is plugged into the correct part of the Aopen gn600 motherboard as
well....I checked that first....any ideas anyone?

Happens on my machine too. It bothered me so much I actually removed
the light led!

--
MCR
MAME - History In The Making
Old December 27th 03, 11:23 PM
Sidmon

What causes it though? There must be something not wired properly for this to
happen?
Old December 27th 03, 11:35 PM
callsignviper

"Sidmon" wrote in message
Have just built first machine. The PC case light LEd to say the machine is
turned on stays on even after shut down from windows. If I turn off from

the
wall socket and turn back on again the light stays off but everytime on

shut
down from windows the machine turns everything off except the green led

power
light. It is plugged into the correct part of the Aopen gn600 motherboard

as
well....I checked that first....any ideas anyone?

It is most likely caused by the Standby Power function of your power supply.

The best way to fully shut down your system (after Windows shutdown) is to
either unplug your power supply or connect your system through a switched
power center. I use one of the under monitor power/surge centers. When I am
through with my system for the day I do a Windows shutdown and then place
all the power center's switches in OFF. No LED's, etc remain lit. This also
makes it easier to ensure the system is completely off before I tinker
inside it! ;-)

HTH.

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.

Old December 28th 03, 12:05 AM
mcr

Sidmon wrote:

What causes it though? There must be something not wired properly for this to
happen?

As far as I know it just signify's that the board is still recieving
power. Flicking the rocker switch at the back of my case kills it though!

Old December 28th 03, 03:48 PM
Sidmon

isnt there a way to do it so I havent got to fiddle with any power leads just
shut down off windows and forget about it!
Old December 29th 03, 01:09 AM
callsignviper

"Sidmon" wrote in message
isnt there a way to do it so I havent got to fiddle with any power leads

just
shut down off windows and forget about it!

NO...........it's the ATX power supply design to have +5 VSB available for
booting a system from Standby condition.

I explained a fairly simple method for a complete shutdown in my previous
post plus it provides additional surge and safety protection. Belkin makes
some fairly decent looking under monitor power centers complete with surge
protection. You might want to take a look at them.

Old December 30th 03, 07:56 PM
clive Coleman.

In message , mcr
writes
Sidmon wrote:

Have just built first machine. The PC case light LEd to say the machine is
turned on stays on even after shut down from windows. If I turn off from the
wall socket and turn back on again the light stays off but everytime on shut
down from windows the machine turns everything off except the green led power
light. It is plugged into the correct part of the Aopen gn600 motherboard as
well....I checked that first....any ideas anyone?

Happens on my machine too. It bothered me so much I actually removed
the light led!

When you power down from the BIOS controlled button the machine will
shut down but the power supply doesn't otherwise you couldn't power it
up again, from memory I think the 5v line stays live, but have not
checked so could be wrong.
--
clive