optical mouse light stays on

Old July 20th 03, 10:54 PM
whitebeard

Default optical mouse light stays on

just got a MS optical mouse with the side button web thingies
and the light never goes off even after the pc has shut down
is this normal??
Old July 20th 03, 11:04 PM
Pen

Yes

Old July 21st 03, 12:21 AM
LiveWire

just got a MS optical mouse with the side button web thingies
and the light never goes off even after the pc has shut down
is this normal??

Yes, that is normal. The reason is because most recent ATX motherboards
(such as my A7N8X Deluxe) have a "Power On By PS/2 Mouse" function. In
order for that function to work, constant power must be maintained to the
mouse, even when the computer is powered down.

I have all my peripherals plugged into a surge protector. When I turn off
the surge protector, the optical mouse light goes off.

--
LiveWire

Old July 21st 03, 11:37 AM
AD C

Pen wrote:

Yes
"whitebeard" wrote in message

just got a MS optical mouse with the side button web thingies
and the light never goes off even after the pc has shut down
is this normal??

Yes and no, this depends on your motherboard, my old Soyo board also
keep the caps lock LED lit.

On most modem boards, there is still power going though the board, so it
can be started up via a keyboard or mouse.
I can press a key on my to start it up.

Old July 21st 03, 11:39 AM
tomcas

While it is normal you can still disable it if...
1. It's connected to a USB port and
2. You don't need to use the USB wakeup function for that port and
3. Your motherboard has a jumper to disable the USB wakeup function.

MCheu wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:54:57 GMT, (whitebeard)
wrote::

just got a MS optical mouse with the side button web thingies
and the light never goes off even after the pc has shut down
is this normal??

Yes. I think all opticals are like this.
Thanks,

MCheu

Old July 24th 03, 05:25 AM
Bob Davis

"tomcas" wrote in message

2. You don't need to use the USB wakeup function for that port and

Question: Will the mouse-wakeup function work only if attached to USB? I
have my trackball on PS2 and it won't wake the computer, even with the
function enabled in bios.

What's good about wireless optical mouse? Bill General 46 November 18th 04 08:16 PM
optical mouse xiaoke General 7 July 25th 04 07:28 PM
problem with optical mouse Bryan Henderson General 2 November 16th 03 10:22 AM
optical ps2/serial mouse Jan Biel General 0 September 26th 03 03:16 PM
Optical mouse causes screen freeze? 111 Homebuilt PC's 2 July 16th 03 04:07 PM