How much bang for the buck between a Xeon 3.0 800FSB and a Xeon 3.0 400FSB??

Old September 8th 04, 12:45 AM
CES

Default How much bang for the buck between a Xeon 3.0 800FSB and a Xeon 3.0 400FSB??

I was wondering if someone could give me an opinion (or if you have the
benchmarks ).

I'm thinking about upgrading to a new Dell Precision WorkStation 670 - Intel
Xeon processors up to 3.00GHz with 1MB L2 cache (Dual Capable) 800MHz front
side bus and Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology and dual-channel DDR2
400MHz SDRAM memory. I currently have a Dell Precision WorkStation 530 MT
with a 1.47 gigahertz Intel Xeon(Intel 860 Colusa Chipset), 8 kilobyte
primary memory cache, 256 kilobyte secondary memory cache and Rambus RDRAM
running at 400mhz.

So my question is how much of a performance difference would I see between
the old Dell 530 and a new 670 if I were to upgrade my current processor to
a PENTIUM 4 XEON 3.0GHz FCBGA 400MHz 512K CACHE???

Thanks in advance.
CES

Old September 8th 04, 02:42 AM
JK

CES wrote:

I was wondering if someone could give me an opinion (or if you have the
benchmarks ).

I'm thinking about upgrading to a new Dell Precision WorkStation 670 - Intel
Xeon processors up to 3.00GHz with 1MB L2 cache (Dual Capable) 800MHz front
side bus and Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology

Why not go for an Opteron based system instead?
If you want only one processor, the Opteron 100 series processors
are very attractively priced. If you want dual, go for Opteron 200
series. Here is an article comparing an Opteron 150 to a Nocona 3.6 ghz
running 64 bit software.

http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2163&p=1

The Athlon 150 is also probably much cheaper than the Nocona 3.6 ghz.

Of course you could decide to choose an Athlon 64 if you don't want
to use registered ddr ram.

and dual-channel DDR2
400MHz SDRAM memory. I currently have a Dell Precision WorkStation 530 MT
with a 1.47 gigahertz Intel Xeon(Intel 860 Colusa Chipset), 8 kilobyte
primary memory cache, 256 kilobyte secondary memory cache and Rambus RDRAM
running at 400mhz.

So my question is how much of a performance difference would I see

Depends on what you run. The Opteron 150 is an awesome performer.
You could just buy a new motherboard, processor, ram, and case.

Old September 8th 04, 09:38 AM
Nathan McNulty

This depends on your use for the computer. If this is just a home
computer that you do every day tasks such as watch videos, play games,
browse the internet, etc., then you will see very little difference.
Now if you are heavy into video editing or workstation graphics
including 3D CAD, you may see a noticable difference.

To be honest, I would highly recommend waiting until the beginning of
next year if you plan on buying a new computer. Intel will be releasing
their new dual core CPU's around this time which will include all of the
64bit capabilities of this CPU and more. Prices will also have come
down on the chipset you are looking at which will just about balance out
the price.

Just some little notes, your RDRAM is going to provide you much better
performance than DDR2 RAM. The increased L2 Cache on the new CPU is
going to provide a little performance gain, but the real difference is
going to be in the Front Side Bus. Running at 800 MHz instead of 400 MHz
really opens up bandwidth that you may have been bottlenecking at
before. Good luck on your search

I recommend checking out www.2cpu.com also.

----
Nathan McNulty

Old September 8th 04, 07:17 PM
CES

Nathan,

Thanks for your opinion... the real issue for me would be the difference in
the Front Side Bus, I assumed as much, but it's nice to get someone else's
opinion. I also appreciate your reinforcing my opinion that I would be
better off with a RDRAM compatible motherboard. I guess I'll just build the
thing myself.
CES.