Want cheap ink to refill HP inkjet

Old August 10th 04, 04:52 PM

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:51:36 +0100, "Max -"
wrote:

I am surprised at how expensive most dealers are for ink to refill
HP inkjets.

Are there any decent UK suppliers who do not charge an arm and a
leg for a bottle of inkjet ink?

in the long run youd be far better off ditching it and getting an
epson.

Old August 10th 04, 05:36 PM
Robin T Cox

Default Want cheap ink to refill HP inkjet

"Max -" wrote in
:

I am surprised at how expensive most dealers are for ink to refill
HP inkjets.

Are there any decent UK suppliers who do not charge an arm and a
leg for a bottle of inkjet ink?

See:
http://forum.moneysavingexpert.com/c...gi?board=Print

Old August 11th 04, 09:40 AM
gothika

wrote:

in the long run youd be far better off ditching it and getting
an epson.

How is an Epson noticeably cheaper to run than an HP?

It's not, Epson's are much worse. Utter garbage.
If you want to go to a different printer try Lexmark if you're
outputing photo-images etc...
If printing simple stuff like text get a Canon.

Have you tried Nujet.com for your ink?
Also try MIS:

http://www.missupply.com/store.cgi

Old August 11th 04, 10:39 AM
Dave Higton

wrote:

in the long run youd be far better off ditching it and getting
an epson.

How is an Epson noticeably cheaper to run than an HP?

It's not, Epson's are much worse. Utter garbage.
If you want to go to a different printer try Lexmark if you're
outputing photo-images etc...
If printing simple stuff like text get a Canon.

Lexmark? This is a weird thread... previous comments I've seen on Lexmark
have related to high prices and mediocre quality.

As for Epson, my old 740 proved very unreliable. Probably due to the
compatible carts, which seemed to clog the heads (those silly "cleaning"
sheets epson produce were no good at all). It also often left white lines
in photos, even when I was using official ink. I'm currently using a C46,
but only because I was given it. I've also got a Dell branded Lexmark
hanging around as a backup, but I'll never be buying any "official" ink
for it, because they're over £40 for a pair of carts.

I'll probably go for a Canon next time, but it pains me to buy any
printer in the current market.

Dave.
Old August 11th 04, 07:21 PM

wrote:

in the long run youd be far better off ditching it and getting
an epson.

How is an Epson noticeably cheaper to run than an HP?

i can get 12 refill cartridges for my epson c660 for £18 from
www.britink.co.uk

try that with a lexmark or an HP,

they give those printers away because the ink is so dear

a canon is also a good bet

with any printer forget about the cost of the hardware and look at the
cost of the ink.

the reason the epson and canon refills are so cheap compared with hp
and lexmark is that the print head is not on the ink cartridge as it
is with the lexmark and hp.

just go to www.britink.co.uk and compare the prices for epson, canon,
hp and lexmark and then ask me the question again.

Old August 11th 04, 11:09 PM
Stuffed

wrote in message
How is an Epson noticeably cheaper to run than an HP?

i can get 12 refill cartridges for my epson c660 for £18 from
www.britink.co.uk

try that with a lexmark or an HP,

they give those printers away because the ink is so dear
the reason the epson and canon refills are so cheap compared with hp
and lexmark is that the print head is not on the ink cartridge as it
is with the lexmark and hp.

And the reason Epsons are crap?

Because the print head is in the printer, not the cartridge. Sounds great,
doesn't it? Epsons truly are dirt cheap to run. Until the day you've come
back off holiday, and discovered in the heat the print heads have dried up,
and no amount of cleaning and swearing is going to sort them. The you chuck
away your printer, and buy a new one.

I use an old HP pro Deskjet because I got it very very cheap, and I hardly
ever print anything. I've got a laser for black and white, and it's
brilliantly cheap to run, and once again, didn't cost me a great deal to
buy. I maybe use the inkjet once every couple of weeks. That'd kill an
Epson, worst case with the HP is a pair of refilled carts, which're 15 quid
or so together. Plus I can sell the old carts for just under a fiver.

A friend's got an Epson, was a high end model when she got it. Brilliant
printer and yes, cheap as anything to run. But she prints stuff out every
other day, so there's never been any problems. I had a 600 though, didn't
use it for 2 months whilst moving. now bin fodder.

So I suppose overall HPs are cheaper for people who don't print a great
deal, Epsons are fine if used regularly. At least, in my experience that's
the case. Then again, I never buy a new printer, so my way is even cheaper

Old August 11th 04, 11:36 PM
Colin Wilson

A friend's got an Epson, was a high end model when she got it. Brilliant
printer and yes, cheap as anything to run. But she prints stuff out every
other day, so there's never been any problems. I had a 600 though, didn't
use it for 2 months whilst moving. now bin fodder.

Ever searched on the net about it ? - quite often the application of a
little ammonia to the pad it sits on can sort out the dried out print
heads :-}

Old August 11th 04, 11:51 PM
JAD

everytime this subject of printers comes up after reading the replies
you can't buy any brand because somebody somewhere had a bad
experience with one brand at some time or another. I have had Hp's
660c - 1230, Epson 777i - C60- 2x Epson large media printers, cannon
s540, Lexmark 1001
Lexmark was the worst, never did anything very well. The HP was fine
but refilling those carts was a PITA. The Epson's run flawlessly, I
don't refill any of the large media tanks as I need EXACT color
matching for production work. The S540 is a breeze to refill 4
separate color tanks, but why bother as the tanks are 6.50$. s540 is
not a photo printer but DAMN good at it.

Cheap carts for an HP are hard to come by, especially when the printer
is a newer model.

Old August 12th 04, 05:34 AM
gothika

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:36:29 +0100, Colin Wilson
wrote:

A friend's got an Epson, was a high end model when she got it. Brilliant
printer and yes, cheap as anything to run. But she prints stuff out every
other day, so there's never been any problems. I had a 600 though, didn't
use it for 2 months whilst moving. now bin fodder.

I have a storage room full of Epson crap
Stylus proXL
stylus 1500
Colorado 3000
etc... etc...
It's all garbage.
We started using Epson back in the mid 90's in our desktop publishing
business simply because Epson had the only printers that would handle
our resolution/dpi requirements.
We had constant problems with them right out of the box.
Clogged print heads, losing prime etc...
After nearly 3 years of grief and a constant stream of bull from the
Epson reps we shelved them and bought plotters.(encad and Novastar)
The only reason I haven't taken a sledgehammer to the lot is we spent
thousands on them and I may be able one day to either buy aftermarket
parts for them or get some sort of retrofit kit to do away with the
crappy piezio heads in them.

Ever searched on the net about it ? - quite often the application of a
little ammonia to the pad it sits on can sort out the dried out print
heads :-}

If you want to clean the printheads you'll have to remove them from
the machine and soak them in sulfynol or hot distilled water.
Then dry them out and reinstall, but be warned they can clog right
back up with just a few runs.
You can also purchase a cartridge blank, fill it with sulfynol and run
a zillion head cleaning cycles for minor clogs.
the biggest culprit/pain I found with Epson printers is the really
crappy design in the cartridge seals(O rings).
These seals can go out on a perfectly new cartridge and for most the
only solution is pitch it and buy a new one.
I located a source for aftermarket 0 ring seals, but at 90 cents a
seal they aren't cheap.
and they won't always fix the problem, seems many of the oem
cartridges are made of really cheap polystyrene with irregular
surfaces which no o ring can hope to seal.
Here's hoping Epson eventually falls into the deepest pit of Hades.
Old August 12th 04, 05:46 AM
gothika

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:09:43 +0100, "Stuffed" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
How is an Epson noticeably cheaper to run than an HP?

i can get 12 refill cartridges for my epson c660 for £18 from
www.britink.co.uk

try that with a lexmark or an HP,

they give those printers away because the ink is so dear
the reason the epson and canon refills are so cheap compared with hp
and lexmark is that the print head is not on the ink cartridge as it
is with the lexmark and hp.

I've found that the Epson cartridges are just as pricey as any out
there.

And the reason Epsons are crap?

Because the print head is in the printer, not the cartridge. Sounds great,
doesn't it? Epsons truly are dirt cheap to run. Until the day you've come
back off holiday, and discovered in the heat the print heads have dried up,
and no amount of cleaning and swearing is going to sort them. The you chuck
away your printer, and buy a new one.

I have to disagree. Epson's are very costly to run.
You spend MORE time running cleaning cycles than you do printing.
Even then you never get all the lines out in the mid-resolution
settings forcing you to run in the highest settings which in turn use
MORE ink and MORE time.
The real problem is the poor ass ink feed design.
The **** weak printheads are supposed to pull ink out a cartridge
filled with a sponge soaked in an ink solution that forms clots and
clogs just looking at it.
On top of that the cartridges have the WORST seal system I've ever
seen in ANY inkjet system.
A rubber O ring that is anything but true.(If you pull one out of the
cartridge head the curl up like a rubberband.)
Top this off with the worst quality plastic in the cartridge itself
and some of the shoddiest jet molding I've ever seen.(Have seen some
Epson cartridge O ring seats so erose that it'd be impossible to get
anything to siphon ink through them without sucking air.)

When you run a printing business you need each and every print on a
run to come out good. something Epson's could never do.
You waste ink,time and paper and quickly lose all hope of producing a
profit out of these junky machines.
We had to switch to professional plotters. The Epsons are sitting in a
storage room collecting dust, they wouldn't even make good boat
anchors.