Bios Flash fail with Samsung Q45 laptop

Old April 3rd 09, 04:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael[_21_]

Default Bios Flash fail with Samsung Q45 laptop

Hi,
I have a Samsung Q45 laptop and have tried to install the lastest Bios
version from Samsung's website (v.17). Unfortunately I got a blue
sreen (Windows Vista Home) just as it was about to finish flashing.
Now the laptop wont boot: I receive a black screen right at start (no
Bios load etc.). I tried to remove the CMOS battery (if I'm correct
that's the one placed right under the "Mini Card" cap) for a few
minutes, but with no luck; I've also tried to boot "PC CMOS Cleaner"
from a CD, but it won't start. Any suggestions on how to correct this
problem?
Thanks in advance!
Michael
Old April 3rd 09, 05:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jan Alter

"Michael" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a Samsung Q45 laptop and have tried to install the lastest Bios
version from Samsung's website (v.17). Unfortunately I got a blue
sreen (Windows Vista Home) just as it was about to finish flashing.
Now the laptop wont boot: I receive a black screen right at start (no
Bios load etc.). I tried to remove the CMOS battery (if I'm correct
that's the one placed right under the "Mini Card" cap) for a few
minutes, but with no luck; I've also tried to boot "PC CMOS Cleaner"
from a CD, but it won't start. Any suggestions on how to correct this
problem?
Thanks in advance!
Michael

The first thing to check is if you can reset the bios, either by
removing the cmos battery for 5 to 10 minutes or shorting a couple of prongs
with a jumper or screwdriver blade. You'd have to check the manual or
schematic of the motherboard to see where it is. If it doesn't work you'll
need to get the bios reflashed.
I would suggest you get in touch with the maker of the laptop. They
ought to be able to reflash the chip, but of course you will need to send
the laptop back.
Up until a few years ago many motherboards had removeable bios chips, so
if one did a bad flash one could take the chip out of its holder and send it
away for reflashing. Recently though I'm finding more and more motherboards
with very tiny bios chips that are soldered to the motherboard that make it
extremely hard to even consider soldering for their microscopicity.
Some companies, such as Gigabyte make some of their mbs with two bios
chips; one of them is a backup in case a flash fails, so the mb reverts to
that if the new one doesn't take.
You may have one of the motherboards that fits the earlier description
and so may be able to remove the bios chip to have it reflashed from a third
party company.
I should mention that I had your problem just a couple of weeks ago with
a Gigabyte mb. Even though the flash had seemingly worked it actually didn't
and on boot I got a couple of long beeps and a black screen. This mb only
had one bios chip, no backup. Fortunately the Gigabyte 3 year warranty got
it reflashed by them at no charge. I was a bit surprised that they would do
it for nothing, but they did.

--
Jan Alter