Damage caused by wrong toner or wrong paper??

Old January 15th 07, 11:27 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
rainandsnow

Default Damage caused by wrong toner or wrong paper??

I've had an OKI B4100 mono laser printer since new - 6 months ago.

It has started printing in very bad quality - faded, with thin vertical
stripes and is especiall faded towards the edges. Text is still readable but
if I try to print out a black page it looks awful - more white than black.

I refilled the toner recently - using some toner I had bought a while back
for a Samsung printer. Could that have done it?? I have noticed that the
test page mentions "microfine spherical toner for sharp detail" - does this
indicate that it needs different toner from the Samsung??

I tried to do a large batch of printing on 160 gsm card recently. (It was
cheap stuff and not specifically meant for laser printers but the Samsung
would have handled it ok). I was attempting to print on both sides - with
photo on one side. I tried for quite a while before I gave up and used
lighter paper. The toner was not bonding to the card as it should have and
was clearly coming off inside the printer and messing up the next print.)

Are either the toner or the card likely to have caused the quality problem
and if so, is there anything I can do???

(I've tried printing cleaning pages, cleaning the "LED array". The printer
indicates that there is 77% of drum life remaining)

Old January 16th 07, 03:04 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
M.H.

rainandsnow wrote:
[...]

I don't think the toner would have done it. If "microfine spherical
toner for sharp detail" is more than marketing, I'd just expect the text
to be a little more jaggy. With the thin vertical stripes, maybe the
drum is damaged? Toner not bonding, maybe fuser is defective?
Old January 16th 07, 03:27 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Block

rainandsnow wrote:
I've had an OKI B4100 mono laser printer since new - 6 months ago.

It has started printing in very bad quality - faded, with thin vertical
stripes and is especiall faded towards the edges. Text is still readable but
if I try to print out a black page it looks awful - more white than black.

I refilled the toner recently - using some toner I had bought a while back
for a Samsung printer. Could that have done it??

Yes.

I have noticed that the test page mentions "microfine spherical toner
for sharp detail" - does this indicate that it needs different toner
from the Samsung??

Yes. For example:

http://www.theofficeguide.com/forum/...3F/m_96/tm.htm

If you're lucky, you haven't ruined the printer, and the messy and
potentially hazardous job of cleaning out the bad toner and replacing it
with a new cartridge with the right toner will allow the printer to work
again.

If you're not lucky, you might need a new drum, new fuser, or other
parts that cost more than the printer is worth.

Old January 16th 07, 09:34 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On 16-Jan-2007, "M.H." wrote:

I've had an OKI B4100 mono laser printer since new - 6 months ago.

If it has a 12mth warranty, that's where you start, try for a warranty replacement
or repair.
IMHO it sounds like the toner. Not fusing may mean it's not melting, that is
its melting point is incorrect. Plus it's obviously not being attracted to the
drum correctly, indicating its electrostatic properties aren't right for this
printer.
As your problems seem to have started with the refilling, you would need to
revert to an OEM cartridge to see if it resolves the problem.
I wouldn't rule out the card, but as it no longer prints on paper of suitable
thickness, it still points towards toner problems.
If it is the drum then it's probably cheaper to replace the printer than take
a chance on what might be an unsuccessful drum replacement that might
reveal another problem.
Try the manufacturer and warranty route, if you get a manufacturer
replacement printer, or service, it should have been serviced with OEM
parts, and meet the original specs.
If you end up by having to ship it for repair, remove the refilled cartridge
(since it has suspect non-OEM toner) saying you didn't ship the
cartridge because of the risk of toner spillage in transit.
Old January 16th 07, 10:12 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
rainandsnow

wrote in message

On 16-Jan-2007, "M.H." wrote:

[...]

Thanks, but I'm not happy about doing that as I've probably ignored warnings
and it it probably my fault - and in addtions shipping would be expensive.
The drum looks OK - if that means anything so I'll probably try replacing
the toner.

Old January 16th 07, 10:16 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
rainandsnow

"Warren Block" wrote in message
rainandsnow wrote:
[...]

Yes, even just a new drum would cost more than the printer costs new. Based
on what you say here, I think I'll try replacing the toner - unless the
images (see below) make you review your opinion.

Here is a scan of the output - attempting to print a solid black page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/axil99/

Old January 16th 07, 12:09 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Toner formulations can vary considerably. They are typically made up of
a mixture of dye, pigments, waxes and plastic resins. Some contain
magnetic iron particles which are required in some designs.

It is always a "high risk" gamble when you use a non-designated toner.
There are literally hundreds on the market. They vary in melting/fusing
temperature, their static charge, how the adhere, and many other
characteristics.

Depending upon the printer, the wrong type can damage the optical drum,
the fuser, and other components. Cleanup can be difficult if the
printer uses special developers and the toner and developer mix.

Some types of wrong paper can damage a laser printer. If it is coated
paper and the melting temperature is low (especially if it is an inkjet
paper) it can melt onto and ruin the fuser area. If the paper is too
thick it can damage paper guides, transport or slip and cause scratching
on the optical drum, but most of the time toner not adhering well is not
enough tooth on the paper surface and it being too thick for the fuser
to heat it adequately.

You will probably need to remove the toner you installed, and clean the
printer well. You may need to replace the cleaning "felts" in the fuser
area.

Art

Old January 16th 07, 12:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Thank you for taking responsibility for your own actions, rather than
trying to stick it to the manufacturer as was suggested. If we expect
manufacturers to be fair with us, we have to also be fair with them.

OKI-Data has a good reputation for treating customers fairly, and for
producing a quality product, and should not be abused for doing so.

It does should like a toner issue, which has nothing to do with the
product in all likelihood.

Art

Old January 16th 07, 12:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Block

rainandsnow wrote:
"Warren Block" wrote in message

If you're lucky, you haven't ruined the printer, and the messy and
potentially hazardous job of cleaning out the bad toner and replacing it
with a new cartridge with the right toner will allow the printer to work
again.

If you're not lucky, you might need a new drum, new fuser, or other
parts that cost more than the printer is worth.

Yes, even just a new drum would cost more than the printer costs new. Based
on what you say here, I think I'll try replacing the toner - unless the
images (see below) make you review your opinion.

Here is a scan of the output - attempting to print a solid black page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/axil99/

Can't tell from that, but I've found lasers to be remarkably tough. The
B4100 looks to have an inexpensive toner-only cartridge, so it's
certainly worth a try.

There's bound to be loose bad toner in the printer; clean that out, but
avoid breathing any of it (don't use a vaccuum).

You may have to run several solid black pages of the good toner to get the
bad toner worked out.