Multiple Operating systems

Old September 5th 03, 03:30 PM
Kelsey & Randi

Default Multiple Operating systems

Hi all,
How can you set up your computer to have two operating systems. I have
already two partitions and Xp one one. I tried to put 98 on the other but
can not boot to it.

Thanks,

Old September 5th 03, 09:30 PM
mcr

Kelsey & Randi wrote:
Hi all,
How can you set up your computer to have two operating systems. I have
already two partitions and Xp one one. I tried to put 98 on the other but
can not boot to it.

Thanks,

IIRC Win98 needs to be on the first partition of the boot hard disk "C",
but XP can be put anywhere. So I would install 98 first on C, then
install XP on a different drive after.

HTH

--
MCR - MAME, History In The Making
Want ftp access? get details at http://www.mcrs.no-ip.org

Old September 5th 03, 10:57 PM
Andy Foster

"Kelsey & Randi" wrote in message . ..
Hi all,
How can you set up your computer to have two operating systems. I have
already two partitions and Xp one one. I tried to put 98 on the other but
can not boot to it.

Thanks,

If you were installing both from scratch, it'd be easy - just install
98 first.
If you make the second partition active, you might be able to
sucessfully install win98 there, but would either have to copy some of
the XP boot files and create edit boot.ini, or reinstall XP
afterwards.

As a matter of interest, why would do you want to install 98 on an XP
machine ?
Old September 16th 03, 10:20 PM
hjusth

I run 98 as well as XP across me entire network, 98 allows me to use windows
media player formats that do not require connecting anywhere to play my
movies etc, came out before the media rights agreement that MS made
mandatory in MPlayer 9 etc. 98 also gives me more access to the base of my
operating system, XP is beautiful and usually very efficiant, but I figure
if I bought the machine, that I should decide how to set it up 8)

There is also a large amount of hardware and software out there that for one
reason or another is not XP compatible, and if the maker went under, your
not going to run that hardware or program under xp.

I prefer to keep each OS on its own drive (just a personal quirk) but the
question should be "Why wouldnt you run 98 on an XP machine?"

But remember the difference in filing systems, if you format the xp
partition to ntfs you will not read the d partition from 98.
"Andy Foster" wrote in message
om...

. ..

Old September 17th 03, 06:05 AM
Charles Hammond

Deactivate the part in XP that controls the copyright stuff. Duhh!!!

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, it was written:

Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Need your opinions on these systems Pen General 4 July 18th 03 01:07 PM
2 mice? Multiple touch touchscreen? SleeperMan General 4 July 10th 03 06:56 PM
Cheap gaming systems Rick General 1 July 8th 03 01:11 AM