Limit to processor speed?

Old September 15th 03, 09:07 PM
FuzionMan

| I remember reading about that - in an article about the 8Mhz 286
processor.

I thought the 286's came from 10 Mhz to 20Mhz, the 8086 processor was a 4.77
and the 8088 was a 7.** ?

Old September 16th 03, 02:50 AM
Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"FuzionMan" wrote in message
om...

| I remember reading about that - in an article about the 8Mhz 286
processor.

I thought the 286's came from 10 Mhz to 20Mhz, the 8086 processor was a

4.77
and the 8088 was a 7.** ?

The 8086 was available first cut at 5MHz (usually run at 4.77MHz to
use a cheap colorburst crystal at 14.something MHz). Later ones were
available to 10MHz, and could be hand picked to 12.

The 8088 was similar.

The 80286 was initially released at 6MHz, then 8, then up to 25MHz
(and I seem to recall a Harris 33MHz part, BICBW).

RwP

Old September 16th 03, 03:48 AM
FuzionMan

Thanks for clearing that up Ralph =-)

"Ralph Wade Phillips" wrote in message
Howdy!

om...

Old September 17th 03, 12:46 AM
SPS 700

I had a 25MHz 286. It would outrun my 386-20. Never saw a 33MHz 286.

Ralph Wade Phillips wrote in message
Howdy!

om...