PC Box WHINE

Old September 16th 03, 06:14 PM
Jason

Default PC Box WHINE

My Dell Dimension 4100 has developed an annoying whine. It's not constant
but more a loud-soft-loud thing. Like: WHINE-whine-WHINE-whine. I'm assuming
this is either the fan or the harddrive. Any easy way to find out which?
I've stuck my ear in there but I can't pinpoint it. Thanks

Old September 16th 03, 07:29 PM
kony

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:14:32 GMT, "Jason" wrote:

My Dell Dimension 4100 has developed an annoying whine. It's not constant
but more a loud-soft-loud thing. Like: WHINE-whine-WHINE-whine. I'm assuming
this is either the fan or the harddrive. Any easy way to find out which?
I've stuck my ear in there but I can't pinpoint it. Thanks

The hard drive and the fan, they both have plugs, right?

Dave
Old September 16th 03, 08:09 PM
Mikey

That works, or even easier, just **CAREFULLY** stop or slow down each fan by
touching the **HUB** ( not the blades!!!) with a finger, and see which one
makes the sound change. Usually the problem one is quite obvious when you do
this.
If none of the fans make it change, then start worrying about the
harddrive..but it's probably a bad or even possibly just dirty fan.

--

Mikey
http://www.mike721.com

Old September 16th 03, 09:05 PM
Jason

"Mikey" wrote in message
That works, or even easier, just **CAREFULLY** stop or slow down each fan

by
touching the **HUB** ( not the blades!!!) with a finger, and see which one
makes the sound change. Usually the problem one is quite obvious when you

do
this.
If none of the fans make it change, then start worrying about the
harddrive..but it's probably a bad or even possibly just dirty fan.

Thanks guys. It turns out it's the harddrive. It's not clunking which from
past experience is the death rattle, but the whine is quite annoying. It's a
WD 40GB WD400BB-75AuA1.

For my next question, could anyone recommend a good website for researching
hardrives? I'm reading cnet.com now but they don't have too many of the
models reviewed. I think i'll upgrade it to an 80GB Ultra ATA/100. Any
suggestions? Thanks again