Rare hard lock ups with videos with acceleration with an old ATIRadeon 4870 HD video card in a Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 8th 13, 01:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant[_3_]

Default Rare hard lock ups with videos with acceleration with an oldATI Radeon 4870 HD video card in a Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine?

On 1/7/2013 3:25 PM PT, Ed Light typed:

I forgot to follow up! OK, downgrading back to v8.10 showed no more lock
ups AND no time/clock slow downs with DVI when playing videos. Over
Christmas 2012 break, I narrowed the driver down to v9.4 that was the
last driver that did not have problems. :/ I could not figure out what
caused these problems in v9.5 release notes.

Have you tried 12.4?
Are you uninstalling the old drivers in the Win XP program uninstall
list, rebooting, then installing the new one?

Yep to all. I even used those driver cleaners (Fusion and Sweeper). FYI,
it seems like others had this problem according to my old
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1337124889 forum thread
(more details than in this newsgroup thread). Oh well, no more
upgrading ATI/AMD video drivers for this 4+ years old video card in it.
--
"Yeah, what's left of it. I was in the militia -- national guard...
That's good! Wasn't any war any more than there's war between men and