64-bit software on 32-bit hardware

Old December 18th 04, 11:27 AM
Amiman

Default 64-bit software on 32-bit hardware

Can anyone please tell me if 64-bit software will run on
32-bit hardware ?

I've googled for this but while there's plenty of information
on compatibility of 64-bit CPUs with 32-bit software, I
couldn't find any satisfactory treatment of the opposite case.

I understand that things are still in the development stage
and that it may be difficult to give a clear-cut answer, but
I'll be grateful for some indications.

The reason I'm asking is that I (and probably thousands of
others) want to buy a new computer now, but either do not
want to or cannot afford to invest in a 64-bit machine right
now. But many of us have to hang on to the same machine
(albeit with some upgrades) for at least a few years and
we wouldn't want to be stuck with something that will be
totally incapable of running 64-bit games and apps that
will be released in the foreseeable future.

I know a lot of people who are quite happily playing today's
games on their 4-year old Pentium 3s by adding more RAM
and newer graphics cards. Will the situation be quite different
when most new games and other software have adopted
the 64-bit platform ?

Old December 18th 04, 12:39 PM
Cuzman

"Amiman" wrote in message

" Can anyone please tell me if 64-bit software will run on 32-bit hardware
? "

It won't.

Old December 18th 04, 03:52 PM
Mike Walsh

Amiman wrote:

Can anyone please tell me if 64-bit software will run on
32-bit hardware ?

It won't run.

I've googled for this but while there's plenty of information
on compatibility of 64-bit CPUs with 32-bit software, I
couldn't find any satisfactory treatment of the opposite case.

I understand that things are still in the development stage
and that it may be difficult to give a clear-cut answer, but
I'll be grateful for some indications.

The reason I'm asking is that I (and probably thousands of
others) want to buy a new computer now, but either do not
want to or cannot afford to invest in a 64-bit machine right
now. But many of us have to hang on to the same machine
(albeit with some upgrades) for at least a few years and
we wouldn't want to be stuck with something that will be
totally incapable of running 64-bit games and apps that
will be released in the foreseeable future.

It will be a few years before 64 bit OSs become common and a few years after that before 64 bit applications become common.

--

Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old December 18th 04, 08:21 PM
Amiman

"Mike Walsh" wrote in message

Amiman wrote:

Can anyone please tell me if 64-bit software will run on
32-bit hardware ?

It won't run.

The reason I'm asking is that I (and probably thousands of
others) want to buy a new computer now, but either do not
want to or cannot afford to invest in a 64-bit machine right
now. But many of us have to hang on to the same machine
(albeit with some upgrades) for at least a few years and
we wouldn't want to be stuck with something that will be
totally incapable of running 64-bit games and apps that
will be released in the foreseeable future.

It will be a few years before 64 bit OSs become common and a few years

after that before 64 bit applications become common.

Thanks. With current games and apps, what kind of difference
in performance should be expected between an Athlon XP
2600+ on an nForce2 motherboard and an AMD64 2800+
on a K8V mobo, all other things being equal ?

Old December 19th 04, 06:59 AM
General Schvantzkoph

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:52:31 +0000, Mike Walsh wrote:

Amiman wrote:

[...]

What are you talking about? 64 Bit Linux has been available years. I'm
running 64 bit Fedora Core 3 on my Compaq R3000z, it works great.

Old December 19th 04, 11:29 PM
Paul Murphy

news

Amiman wrote:

[...]

That's uncommon though and most OSs these days are sold by Microsoft.
Microsoft do have an OS designed for the 64 bit Intel processors (a 64 bit
version of Server 2003) and they have a beta 64 bit version of XP out for
those who want to test it/can get it. The OP will need 64 bit drivers for
each piece of hardware though so I hope all the items are/will be supported
with 64 bit driver availability.

Paul