Hard Drive Error

Old January 20th 05, 08:01 PM
Infinion

Default Hard Drive Error

Good Day.

I have a problem existing with my Dell 4550 computer and its original
Seagate
ST380021A 80 gig hard drive.

Windows XP Home edition

Yesterday I purchased Norton Ghost 9.0. After installation I proceeded
to backup by doing a mirror image of my Hard drive. Unfortunately it
would make a backup copy. The program would stop and tell me that it
was unable to complete due to errors.

I then rebooted and attempted to scan the disk by opening My Computer icon
and
right clicking on local disk (C) then properties/Tools Tab/error
checking and checked the box 'scan for and attempt recovery of bad
sectors' this did not work wouldn't even complete 'Phase 1' then tried
without any boxes checked same result. Then tried with 'automatically
fix system errors' again no go. Wouldn't complete pass Phase 1. No other
programs were running at the time.

Rebooted into Dell diagnostics and ran the hard drive test with the
following results"

*******READ**********
error code 0F00:0244
msg Block 6198935: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

error code 0F00:244
msg Block 6209242: Same message as above

********Verify Test********
error code 0F00:1AFF
msg Block: 6198935: Same message as above

error code 0F00:1AFF
msg Block: 6209242: Same Message as above

After recording this information I had the test continue to the
end(156301487) with no more errors in either the Read or Verify mode.

This particular system is not networked to the internet. There have been
absolutely no hardware changes since its original configuration from Dell.
Any software that has been transferred to it from my internet computer has
all been tested for virus.
At this moment I'm unable to make a backup image of my hard drive. Any help
would be appreciated.

Thanks G Strait

Old January 20th 05, 08:44 PM
Jerry Park

Infinion wrote:

[...]

I had a bad block on my original hard disk (Inspiron 8200) which would
not repair with scandisk. At the time I was using the Intel Application
Accelerator. Deleted that program and scandisk marked the blocks as bad
-- no further problems.

Just posted this in case you may be using something like Intel
Application Accelerator which would disable scandisk.
Old January 20th 05, 09:06 PM
William P.N. Smith

"Infinion" wrote:
Seagate
ST380021A 80 gig hard drive.

msg Block 6198935: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

You need to get the SeaTools app from Seagate and run it on the drive
to see if you can recover the errors and then make your Ghost backup.
Note that there may be somoe data corruption, but that's going to be
as good as it gets. Definitely replace the hard drive ASAP.

Old January 20th 05, 09:13 PM
Infinion

Bingo... Turned off the cache and run the Scan and fixed the blocks.
Turned Cache back on and everything is cool. I Think! LOL! I won't tell
anyone the experience I had with Dell support on this. Enough crap is going
around about hem already.

Thanks millions,
Greg

Old January 20th 05, 10:51 PM
Infinion

Thank you William for your advice. I downloaded the Seagate SeaTools and
performed the tests as your suggested. It showed me the data that was
located on the two bad sectors. Fortunately the data that was corrupted
were both mp3 files that actually no longer resided on my system. So data
corruption was present. I went ahead and zero'd those sectors and ran the
test the second time everything checked out. Created a Norton Ghost Backup
with verify and emergency boot disk. Everything seems to be ok.

You suggested replacing the HD and have seriously taken that into
consideration. I take it this could be the beginning of HD trouble?...

Anyway thanks for your excellent direction.

Cheers,
Greg S.

William P.N. Smith wrote in message
"Infinion" wrote:
Seagate
ST380021A 80 gig hard drive.

Old January 21st 05, 12:08 AM
Ben Myers

With modern day hard disk drives, even one bad block is a strong indicator that
the drive needs to be replaced. If the computer is still under warranty, ask
Dell to advance ship the replacement drive. You'll need to give a credit card #
as security, then return the defective drive within 30 days to avoid the credit
card charge... Ben Myers

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:51:36 GMT, "Infinion" wrote:

Thank you William for your advice. I downloaded the Seagate SeaTools and
performed the tests as your suggested. It showed me the data that was
located on the two bad sectors. Fortunately the data that was corrupted
were both mp3 files that actually no longer resided on my system. So data
corruption was present. I went ahead and zero'd those sectors and ran the
test the second time everything checked out. Created a Norton Ghost Backup
with verify and emergency boot disk. Everything seems to be ok.

You suggested replacing the HD and have seriously taken that into
consideration. I take it this could be the beginning of HD trouble?...

Anyway thanks for your excellent direction.

Cheers,
Greg S.

William P.N. Smith wrote in message
.. .
"Infinion" wrote:
Seagate
ST380021A 80 gig hard drive.

Old January 21st 05, 02:12 AM
Jerry Park

Infinion wrote:

Thank you William for your advice. I downloaded the Seagate SeaTools
and performed the tests as your suggested. It showed me the data that
was located on the two bad sectors. Fortunately the data that was
corrupted were both mp3 files that actually no longer resided on my
system. So data corruption was present. I went ahead and zero'd those
sectors and ran the test the second time everything checked out.
Created a Norton Ghost Backup with verify and emergency boot disk.
Everything seems to be ok.

You suggested replacing the HD and have seriously taken that into
consideration. I take it this could be the beginning of HD trouble?...

Anyway thanks for your excellent direction.

Cheers,
Greg S.

William P.N. Smith wrote in message
"Infinion" wrote:
Seagate
ST380021A 80 gig hard drive.

msg Block 6198935: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

You need to get the SeaTools app from Seagate and run it on the drive
to see if you can recover the errors and then make your Ghost backup.
Note that there may be somoe data corruption, but that's going to be
as good as it gets. Definitely replace the hard drive ASAP.

One or two bad blocks is not indicative of general problems. As I noted
in my prior post, my 40 gig hard disk had a couple of bad blocks when I
got this system. I marked them as bad. That was over two years ago. The
disk has functioned flawlessly since.

If you continue to develop bad blocks, then the disk obviously has problems.
Old January 21st 05, 03:00 AM
gg

If the HDD is NOT under waranty I suggest that you try spinrite from
www.grc.com .Users of ntfs will need the newest version.
I have used this to test problematic hdd in the past. It is VERY
thorough, and takes a lot of time to perform its intensive
tests/fixes. Of course its always best to replace a drive at the first
sign of problems. The program runs from a floppy or bootable cd. Steve
is an excellent programmer & program is deceptively tiny.

If someone knows how to make a usb drive bootable in an operating
system other than windows /dos PLEASE let me know.
If you want to make it bootable in DOS let me know & I'll post link to
utility that makes it easy. I tested it on my Insperon.
Gateway has good utility for testing/zeroing hdd-it tests & zeros all
makes of hdds.

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:08:06 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

[...]

. ..
"Infinion" wrote:
Seagate
ST380021A 80 gig hard drive.

Old January 21st 05, 03:38 AM
Ben Myers

I have to take exception to the statement that a drive with one bad sector is OK
to use. If one does so, one does it at ones peril. Really, it's at the risk
of ones data, whose value varies widely from computer owner to computer owner.

Here is a case in point, right now on my workbench getting fixed up. My client
brought me his Dell Inspiron 1100 stating that it did not boot properly. I
checked warranty status and found that the system went out of warranty in
November, and that the drive was a Seagate 40GB. I downloaded Seagate's
SeaTools, which confirmed that the drive had a bad sector and offered to
"repair" it, replacing it with one of the spares built into the drive. I did
so, and the system booted right up. Nevertheless, I called my client and told
him that it was best to replace the drive. I intended to use Seatools to copy
the contents of the failing drive to the replacement, a new Hitachi TravelStar
40GB. Seatools does a very slick job of this, provided that the old drive is
still in 100% readable condition. When I booted the system again, it failed to
finish booting up Windows. Why? Not sure yet, but I'll bet that another sector
or two bit the dust. I'll find out later.

I've just reloaded XP and all the client's software programs onto the new drive.
Next step will be to copy whatever data can be copied from the old drive onto
the new drive. Then I'll find out whether or not other sectors went bad, which
I strongly suspect.

The punch line here, if you've read this far, is that you never know WHY a
sector went bad. A hard disk head could have grazed the drive surface and
flaked off a bit of oxide coating. The drive could have been contaminated with
foreign particles to begin with. The drive's surface may have been coated
imperfectly, and a bit of oxide coating came off. Today's drives operate and
record data at extremely fine tolerances, and they do not withstand well any
imperfections in platter media or foreign particles floating inside. If you
still continue to use a drive once it has developed bad sectors which have been
"repaired", and then the drive fails, don't come crying to me about your
misfortune. You have been warned.

Way back when, in the dark days of 5 1/4" full height 20GB drives, back before
Bill Gates opened his Windows to show us all the light, the data tracks were
wide wide wide compared to present day. A disk surface could go bad, alternate
tracks assigned, and the drive could still function for years without apparent
error. Those times are well behind us. Back then, Spinrite was a very useful
product. Now, I have serious doubts about Spinrite, not because of what it can
do, but rather what it cannot do. It does not correct PHYSICAL imperfections in
a drive. It only works around them, just like Seatools and any other drive
manufacturers' diagnostic software. Just ask Steve Gibson. He's a
straight-shooter, and he will confirm what I have stated here... Ben Myers

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:12:31 -0600, Jerry Park wrote:

Infinion wrote:

Thank you William for your advice. I downloaded the Seagate SeaTools
and performed the tests as your suggested. It showed me the data that
was located on the two bad sectors. Fortunately the data that was
corrupted were both mp3 files that actually no longer resided on my
system. So data corruption was present. I went ahead and zero'd those
sectors and ran the test the second time everything checked out.
Created a Norton Ghost Backup with verify and emergency boot disk.
Everything seems to be ok.

You suggested replacing the HD and have seriously taken that into
consideration. I take it this could be the beginning of HD trouble?...

Anyway thanks for your excellent direction.

Cheers,
Greg S.

William P.N. Smith wrote in message
"Infinion" wrote: