PS/2 mouse problems

Old August 11th 04, 05:13 PM
Fred

Default PS/2 mouse problems

Hello!

I have a laptop (Compaq Armada 7400) P2 300 Mhz (pretty old I know)
with Windows 98.

I recently bought a cordless optical USB mouse. Since I only have 1
USB port and other USB devices (that I use only from time to time: CD
burner and digital camera) I sometime need my "old" PS/2 mouse.
Installing my new USB mouse DID NOT create any problems and if needed
I could install that PS/2 mouse just fine.

Untill 3-4 days ago...

I realise that my PS/2 mouse worked bizarely. The curser moves just
fine. But the buttons don't work! Or more precisely, sometimes the
right button work and sometimes it doesn't (the left just doesn't work
at all). And this all my mouses (the old PS/2, the new USB (that I
install in the PS/2 port with an adapter) and the "mouse" integrated
in the laptop).

Also sometimes, the curser just moves!!! And when I write a text it
sometimes just change line. It happened 5 times by just writing this
message. It is probably the PS/2 problem that has effect even when I
use the USB mouse. I think the integrated laptop mouse is PS/2?

I did reinstall the drivers (just in case) but the drivers are just
like they were before and there is no problem that I can see in the
System Panel.

USB mouse: Microsoft Blue mouse
PS/2 mouse: standard Labtec

Is there any one who can see where the problem is? Is it PS/2 driver
related? PS/2 port? Laptop integrated mouse? other?

Thanks,
Fred.
Old August 11th 04, 11:06 PM
Shep©

On 11 Aug 2004 09:13:35 -0700 Its all about soul.No soul,no life and
then (Fred) wrote :

[...]

Changing mice is not as simple as some people may think.
1:Power should be off when you insert a PS2 mouse otherwise you can
damage the PS2 port.
2:You should remove any mouse software from the old mouse using the
Control Panel/Add Remove Programs list before using new mouse.This can
be done using just the keyboard should the user not yet have a mouse
in.
3:On booting the user should enter,"Safemode" and go to the Device
Manager and remove ,"ALL" entries under the mouse section and then
re-boot and supply required drivers if asked for.For most PS2 mice
window's default drivers will do and only the extra functions of a
mice require the mouse's own software.
3:After all this cleaning the registry is a good idea so click here,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/house.html
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
Old August 12th 04, 01:21 AM
~misfit~

then (Fred) wrote :

[...]

Good advice as usual Shep. Especially "1:" I know people who say they've
plugged and unplugged PS2 mice before with no problems when the machine's
powered up. I tell them they've been lucky.
--
~misfit~