Radeon 9600 XP driver installation fails time after time

Old July 12th 04, 11:48 PM
Gialt Huininga

Default Radeon 9600 XP driver installation fails time after time

System:
Asus A7N8X DeLuxe v2.00
Sapphire Radeon 9600 128 MB (non-pro)
160 GB Maxtor DiamondMax 9 SATA
Samtron SC-726DXL (old 17" CRT, formally non plug and play)
HP L1925 19" TFT

I installed the L1925 on the DVI connector and the Samtron on the VGA
connector.

Problem:
When I try to install the ATI driver (v4.7, but older version gave the same
problems) on my MS Windows XP Professional OS, the system reboots when it's
finished and after that the screen goes blank just before the log/on screen
should appear.
(this is on the VGA-Samtron connection, I do not get any picture on the
DVI-HP connection; without the ATI drivers, I am able to set the screen
resolution to 1024x768@75 Hz or 1280x1024@75Hz for example: no problems at
all)

What I have tried so far:
- uninstalled drivers before installing them again
- clean installation of MS Windows XP (incl. SP1 and DirectX 9.0b)
- in mainboard BIOS AGP set to 4x
- in mainboard BIOS Fastwrite set to Disabled
- in mainboard BIOS increased AGP voltage to 1.7V
- tried to let the installation finish in Save Mode

But my system still doesn't work. Actually, I quite fed up with this
problem: it costs me a lot of time. I used Matrox card for 7 years and never
had a problem. I have searched the internet, google, forums etc. but I
wasn't able to solve the problem. Is anyone able to solve this problem for
me, or will this be my first and last ATI card?

TIA,

Gialt

Old July 13th 04, 06:52 PM
johns

Local Video Games store says many of the ATI cards
they have received have been defective or visibly
damaged, with parts missing. I don't know which
card maker is doing this, but I suspect it is Sapphire,
and they tried to get too many cards out too fast. The
store had to RMA all of the first cards they received.
I bought my 9600XT from Mwave.com, made by
Gigabyte. It is nice, and Gigabyte seems to be good
quality stuff.

johns

johns

Old July 14th 04, 09:17 PM
end user

what program do you use to OC your sapphire 9600?

Locust

On 14 Jul 2004 09:52:09 GMT, (SpicaTC50)
wrote:

;
Why do you suspect Sapphire? I have 3 of their cards and they've been
exemplary. My 9600 Pro is a killer at OC'ing too. Stable as hell. I do hear
some bad things about the Powerecolors though.
johns