Compaq Presario Pentium 4 tower missing recovery CDs, anyway to restore from generic Windows XP CD using Compaq's Product Key?

Old May 1st 09, 07:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Nate Goulet

Default Compaq Presario Pentium 4 tower missing recovery CDs, anyway to restore from generic Windows XP CD using Compaq's Product Key?

I'm asked to fix a friend's Compaq Presario. The machine had a virus,
and the hardware works fine.

The last time I fixed it, I used the recovery partition. I asked him
to order the recovery CDs from Compaq, and they did.

I attempted to restore the machine from the discs Compaq sent, and a
message immediately pops up saying they are the wrong discs.

The recovery partition didn't work this time, so I removed the partion
as I recently fixed another similar computer that wouldn't restore
from the recovery cds unless I removed it.

It's been over 6 months since ordering the discs, and Compaq refuses
to provide any satisfaction. I've heard there are ways of using an
offical Microsoft CD and using the Compaq Windows XP product key, but
Microsoft is no help either.

Any suggestions?

This scenario only makes me want to recomment Dells even more, as if
someone looses their restore discs, any Dell disc will work of the
same version of Windows. I've made recovery discs for peopel with
Compaqs right off the hard drives that still don't work. Rediculous
that Compaq can't simply charge an extra couple bucks and provide
them.

Compaq's solution was to purchase a new computer.

Thanks for any help.
Old May 2nd 09, 02:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
jinxy

On May 1, 2:43*pm, (Nate Goulet) wrote:
[...]

Nate, I have tried to do the same thing you are doing with no luck. I
ended up buying the recovery disks from a third party.
Go to, http://www.restoredisks.com/ Search your model and if
they have it, buy it and it will be at your door in a week. Worked
great for me on an Pavillion 522n.
My cost was $34.00us shipping included.
-J
Old May 2nd 09, 10:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
William R. Walsh

Hi!

I attempted to restore the machine from the discs Compaq sent, and a
message immediately pops up saying they are the wrong discs.

Or they're not the "complete" discs. I remember that message showing up when
the computer was started from the "kicker" CD that Compaq sometimes handed
out in lieu of a "real" restoration CD.

What you need to reinstall Windows is an OEM-type XP CD. Any Windows XP CD
would work for this as long as it's an *OEM* disc. Yes, that would include
the Dell badged discs, so keep that in mind if you have one of those and the
version of XP matches (home for home, pro for pro).

William

Old May 7th 09, 11:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

"Nate Goulet" wrote in message
I'm asked to fix a friend's Compaq Presario.
.... snipped ....

Ridiculous that Compaq can't simply charge an extra couple bucks and
provide them.

Compaq's solution was to purchase a new computer.

Thanks for any help.

When the OS got 'too big for one cd', I've found that , when PC was new,
booting - it prompted to 'create CD's" to save that file - or instructed
user to do so. OR, it provided a QUICKrestore cd that had only the
'instructions' and used the image file from 'hidden' partition .

what is your model number ?
I'll see what I can find.