Antivirus & Firewall software for Presario S4200nx

Old May 5th 07, 01:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
glf

Default Antivirus & Firewall software for Presario S4200nx

I have Norton 360 installed on a presario s4200nx & it is slowing the pc
down alot.

Which antivirus & firewall would you recommend using? I have been thinking
about trying Avg free & Zone Alarm.

And,what's the best way to remove all of the Norton?

Thanks!

Old May 5th 07, 09:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Colin Wilson

I have Norton 360 installed on a presario s4200nx & it is slowing the pc
down alot.
Which antivirus & firewall would you recommend using? I have been thinking
about trying Avg free & Zone Alarm.
And,what's the best way to remove all of the Norton?

You could always try the program formerly known as Dell Decrapifier
(now at www.pcdecrapifier.com)

As an alternative to AVG free, how about Kaspsersky for free ?

http://www.activevirusshield.com

It was made available via a deal with AOL, but you don't need to be
with AOL to use it. Don't bother installing the toolbar (some utils
wrongly report it as spyware anyway).
Old May 5th 07, 10:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
glf

Which firewall to use with it?

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...

Old May 6th 07, 04:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

The Microsoft firewall with XP does not monitor OUTGOING traffic. That is what
is wrong with the firewall with XP. In a scenario where a
worm-virus-adware-slimeware slips into a system often via browser, email, or IM,
the user of the computer has zero warning that something nasty is going on when
the slimware calls home or siphons off credit card data or passwords. A
capable firewall like ZoneAlarm does catch attempts for new programs to access
the net from the inside. I have used ZoneAlarm for a while now, and there are
other competent firewalls available.

Surprise!!! Part of the WOW! of Vista is a Microsoft firewall that monitors
outgoing traffic. I do not know if Microsoft got it right with its Vista
firewall.

I also like Free AVG as a not at all hoggish anti-virus. I use it, and I
install it for my clients to use.

To remove Norton Anti-Virus completely is a bit of a challenge, but it can be
removed more or less by removing all its bits followed by the LiveUpdate.
Finally, a good cleaner utility like CCleaner (short for Crap Cleaner) can
remove all the Norton Anti-Virus garbage left behind.

NAV in particular has a very sloppy and incomplete uninstall, and Microsoft's
rules for putting stuff in the registry are overly complicated and convoluted.
Not sure if I can blame Symantec for being sloppy or Microsoft.

.... Ben Myers

Old May 6th 07, 05:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
glf

I am going to try avg & zone alarm..Is zone alarm bad on system resurces?
Norton is going to be fun to remove...

PC World has a review on antivirus software - and I was surprided that
Norton was ranked #2 & avg &avast were ranked near the botton of the list.

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
[...]

.. .

Old May 7th 07, 01:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Zone Alarm has a memory footprint of around 4MB, and it does not hog processor
cycles.

I have to cast a jaundiced eye on the printed trade magazines like PC World. I
once wrote a lot of articles for competitors, and I stopped when it started to
smell bad because the ad department was exercising a lot of influence on
editiorial. Interesting coincidence that Symantec runs ads in PC World? The
other problem with software as complex as anti-virus is that it is extremely
time-consuming to write and execute test scripts, and the magazines don't pay
their writers and testers anough money to design thorough tests... Ben Myers

On Sun, 6 May 2007 00:22:12 -0400, "glf" wrote:

I am going to try avg & zone alarm..Is zone alarm bad on system resurces?
Norton is going to be fun to remove...

PC World has a review on antivirus software - and I was surprided that
Norton was ranked #2 & avg &avast were ranked near the botton of the list.

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

. ..