Big Oops! Please help a newbie

Old October 30th 05, 12:51 PM
Dave The Brain

Default Big Oops! Please help a newbie

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:14:38 GMT, Dave The Brain
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:47:47 GMT, Dave The Brain
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 23:38:22 GMT, Wes Newell
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 19:32:37 +0000, Dave The Brain wrote:

Motherboard Properties:
Manufacturer Matsonic Product
MS8308E Serial Number
00000000

Does this help at all?

This, if correct, does a little. This board officially only supports a
100MHz (200FSB) FSB. But it should do 133Mhz ok if the bios has that
option. Go into bios and see what the max CPU Freq you can set is. From
main bios, select CPU PnP Setup page. Set CPU speed to manual, user
defined or whatever, and then try and set CPU Freq to 133 to check.
Don't try booting with this with the Duron 1200, unless the Duron 1200 is
a C model. If you can set the CPU freq to 133, then try it with the 2600+
you got/get. If the cpu isn't locked, you would be able to even use a
100MHz FSB with it and set the multiplier to a max of 24x after changing
the default multiplier to 13 on it.

Oh dear. I got into the AMIBios CPU PnP. There were two items in the
list which were highlighted. However, I could not seem to change
either of them. I pressed return and up and down without effect.

List was
CPU Speed 1200
CPU ratio 1200
CPU frequency 100
DRAM frequency 133

PLEASE IGNORE THIS LAST MESSAGE I FIGURED OUT WHAT I WAS DOING WRONG
AND CAN ACTUALLY ALTER THE CPU FREQ AS SUGGESTED ABOVE

NOW ALL I NEED TO DO IS RESET THE WRETCHED KEYBOARD WHICH HAS DONE
SOMETHING ODD BECAUSE I HELD DOWN THE SHIFT KEY TOO LONG!

Excuse my ignorance, but I presume this is overclocking the chip?
Old November 1st 05, 06:37 PM
uddarts

"" wrote:
On 21 Oct 2005 18:36:50 -0400, uddarts
wrote:

i looked your board up and it is using the old sdram 168 pin.

you will
need to buy some ddr 2700 or ddr 3200 184 pin. the price

should be
about the same 3200 might be even cheaper.

check around for any board with cpu fsb 333 or 400.

when your friend opens the case have him look at the side of

the psu,
so we know if it has enough power. give us the brand, model

number and
what the amps are for the 3.3, 5 & 12volt lines. also have

him look at
how much extra room the case has. your board is a micro atx.

the case
may be big enough for a micro atx or full atx which would

give you
more options.

My friend Neil says it is the biggest box of the three
computers in
the house and should fit anything. It has seven slots.

welcome back! have you been hanging out down at the french riviera?

what do you think of the suggestion above?

your going to have to decide if your going to stay with onboard video
or get a video card too but that will run more money.

your also going to have to decide if you want a board that can take
advantage of the unlocked cpu or just run it as a xp2600, which would
be fine too.

you do some thinking and get back to us.

ud

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Big-Oo...pict63881.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=322482
Old November 14th 05, 12:52 AM
Dave The Brain

wrote:

[...]

I wish! No, I have been playing host to an endless stream of work
commitments and family entertaining. This morning I went with my
Grandfather to the Cenotaph in London so he could walk/be pushed in
the procession.

Life this month is extremely hectic and I feel I should give up my
social life in favour of something less stressful like leting a herd
of Wildebeeste run through the house.

As far as the computer goes, my TFT moniter (an Acer) appears to be
doing random colours two weeks after the end of its warranty expires.
Another two hundred quid I don't have. With Christmas coming I feel
like I'm building a fire and throwing ten Pound notes into it!

So, no sign of any more money for the computer unless it is for much
needed replacements or I get some for Christmas.

All I have is this chip whichif I read everyone's comments corectly I
may hopefully be able to use in my existing configuration and get some
speed boost without having to pay for anything else (keeping an eye on
my fan).

If I get more money then yes, new motherboard (with onboard graphic
and network but separate sound card) and more/better memory. Until
then I'm wondering if I can find the time to open the computer up and
stick the new CPU in and se if it works or not with what I have.

what do you think of the suggestion above?

All help is much appreciated. Sorry I've been offline so long.