PCI or AGP?

Old August 21st 04, 07:36 AM
AJ

Default PCI or AGP?

With the new kid on the block being PCI-express, is
AGP soon to be not found on motherboards and therefor
is it unwise to invest in an AGP card? Is PCI the best
choice still for 2D (most compatible)?

AJ

Old August 21st 04, 03:43 PM
J. Clarke

AJ wrote:

With the new kid on the block being PCI-express, is
AGP soon to be not found on motherboards and therefor
is it unwise to invest in an AGP card? Is PCI the best
choice still for 2D (most compatible)?

PCI is also soon not to be found on motherboards for certain values of soon.
Personally I'd like to have five minutes with a baseball bat and whatever
marketing genius came up with the idea of a new PCI standard that's not
backward-compatible with the old PCI standard.

In fact one could argue that the whole PCI Express thing is fraud, since the
new standard is not PCI in anything but name.

AJ

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old August 22nd 04, 12:33 AM
AJ

"J. Clarke" wrote in message ...
AJ wrote:

With the new kid on the block being PCI-express, is
AGP soon to be not found on motherboards and therefor
is it unwise to invest in an AGP card? Is PCI the best
choice still for 2D (most compatible)?

PCI is also soon not to be found on motherboards for certain values of soon.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. But AGP is going away now whereas PCI has
a few more years it seems since the transitionary motherboards have both
PCIe and PCI slots, but no AGP slot.

Personally I'd like to have five minutes with a baseball bat and whatever
marketing genius came up with the idea of a new PCI standard that's not
backward-compatible with the old PCI standard.

I'm sure they evaluated the possibility, but decided it was better to move
forward than hang on to the past for good reasons. :/

In fact one could argue that the whole PCI Express thing is fraud, since the
new standard is not PCI in anything but name.

Well it probably is still a valid technology acronym. What does it stand for?

AJ

Old August 22nd 04, 01:07 AM
Richard Hopkins

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
PCI is also soon not to be found on motherboards for certain
values of soon.

The old style 33MHz/32 bit PCI slots should be supported for a year or so
yet.

Personally I'd like to have five minutes with a baseball bat and
whatever marketing genius came up with the idea of a new PCI
standard that's not backward-compatible with the old PCI standard.

What the f**k are you talking about? For starters, PCI-E chipsets *are*
backward compatible with the earlier PCI standards - that's why the current
PCI-E motherboards have old style PCI slots on them. And secondly, the
reason why it's called PCI something or other is because the standard was
devised by the Peripheral Component Interconnect steering group.

In fact one could argue that the whole PCI Express thing is fraud,

********, in a word.

since the new standard is not PCI in anything but name.

Of course it is. It was designed by the PCI steering group, just like the
previous PCI standards. It has as much right to use the acronym as any of
the others.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Old August 22nd 04, 01:31 AM
AJ

"Richard Hopkins" wrote in message ...
"J. Clarke" wrote in message ...
PCI is also soon not to be found on motherboards for certain
values of soon.

The old style 33MHz/32 bit PCI slots should be supported for a year or so yet.

I wonder how long the "old" motherboards will be available in the various
channels. For what I do and will be doing in the foreseeable future,
PCI and Northwoods are entirely adequate (overkill actually).

Personally I'd like to have five minutes with a baseball bat and
whatever marketing genius came up with the idea of a new PCI
standard that's not backward-compatible with the old PCI standard.

What the f**k are you talking about? For starters, PCI-E chipsets *are* backward compatible with the earlier PCI
standards - that's why the current PCI-E motherboards have old style PCI slots on them.

I'm almost sure he meant compatible as in "PCI card will work in a PCIe slot".

AJ

Old August 22nd 04, 06:48 AM
J. Clarke

AJ wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
AJ wrote:

With the new kid on the block being PCI-express, is
AGP soon to be not found on motherboards and therefor
is it unwise to invest in an AGP card? Is PCI the best
choice still for 2D (most compatible)?

PCI is also soon not to be found on motherboards for certain values of
soon.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. But AGP is going away now whereas PCI has
a few more years it seems since the transitionary motherboards have both
PCIe and PCI slots, but no AGP slot.

Personally I'd like to have five minutes with a baseball bat and whatever
marketing genius came up with the idea of a new PCI standard that's not
backward-compatible with the old PCI standard.

I'm sure they evaluated the possibility, but decided it was better to move
forward than hang on to the past for good reasons. :/

Yes, they did. If they were backward-compatible then people wouldn't have
to buy new everything at once.

There is a backward-compatible version of PCI with plenty of performance
called "PCI-X" that predates PCI Express. If you read the fine print on
Intel chipsets you'll find that they use PCI-X internally, not PCI Express.
Note how the names can be easily confused.

In fact one could argue that the whole PCI Express thing is fraud, since
the new standard is not PCI in anything but name.

Well it probably is still a valid technology acronym. What does it stand
for?

"Peripheral Component Interconnect". However it is not a general purpose
acronym--if it was then one could argue that ISA, EISA, Microchannel,
VMEBus, and all the rest are all "PCI".

AJ

Old August 22nd 04, 06:54 AM
J. Clarke

Richard Hopkins wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
PCI is also soon not to be found on motherboards for certain
values of soon.

The old style 33MHz/32 bit PCI slots should be supported for a year or so
yet.

Personally I'd like to have five minutes with a baseball bat and
whatever marketing genius came up with the idea of a new PCI
standard that's not backward-compatible with the old PCI standard.

What the f**k are you talking about? For starters, PCI-E chipsets *are*
backward compatible with the earlier PCI standards - that's why the
current PCI-E motherboards have old style PCI slots on them.

When you get your first PCI-Express motherboard then try putting a PCI board
in a PCI Express slot and tell me how it works out.

And secondly,
the reason why it's called PCI something or other is because the standard
was devised by the Peripheral Component Interconnect steering group.

AKA Intel and their myrmidons.

I'll see your ******** and raise you nuts.

since the new standard is not PCI in anything but name.

Of course it is. It was designed by the PCI steering group, just like the
previous PCI standards. It has as much right to use the acronym as any of
the others.

Uh huh. Basically a rubber stamp for Intel.