Socket 775 LGA Mobo w/PCI x4 - That Takes Same Memory As EP45-UD3L

Old October 29th 10, 08:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
(PeteCresswell)

Default Socket 775 LGA Mobo w/PCI x4 - That Takes Same Memory As EP45-UD3L

I've got an EP45-UD3L, but am thinking about getting one of these
things http://tinyurl.com/32h3xcx to speed things up.

But that's an x4 card.

Is there a GigaByte board with x4 slots that I could recycle my
current CPU and memory into?
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 29th 10, 10:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul in Houston TX

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've got an EP45-UD3L, but am thinking about getting one of these
things http://tinyurl.com/32h3xcx to speed things up.

But that's an x4 card.

Is there a GigaByte board with x4 slots that I could recycle my
current CPU and memory into?

Depends on what cards and peripherals you are using.

You can check he
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/lis...&jid=2&p=2&v=7
This one should work: GA-EP45-EXTREME (rev. 1.0)

However,
For the cost of that ssd, you could have a GA x58a-ud3r
sata 3 board($300), core i7 930($200), 6gb DDR3 mem($150),
and a terabyte 6gb/ sec sata 3 hdd ($100).
Get a second 6gb drive and Raid zero them for 4x speed.
That is what I have. Boot up = 70 seconds to fully
functional xp2 32bit.

Old October 29th 10, 10:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
peter

?More money than sense???
Have you looked into the cost of that thing???
bet you looking at 800buck cost and you would still need to buy
a new motherboard.

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

Old October 29th 10, 11:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've got an EP45-UD3L, but am thinking about getting one of these
things http://tinyurl.com/32h3xcx to speed things up.

But that's an x4 card.

Is there a GigaByte board with x4 slots that I could recycle my
current CPU and memory into?

P45 based motherboards come in two types.

The cheapest P45 boards, run the P45 in P43 mode, providing
only one big PCI Express slot. That's what you bought.
Your board runs only the (1)x16 mode, and has one big
PCI Express slot on it. (If the manufacturer wanted, they
could have placed a P43 chip on the motherboard, and you'd
be none the wiser.)

The rest of the P45 boards, provide two big PCI Express slots.
Either of those slots could take a x4, x8, or x16 card. The
slot wiring runs either (1)x16 or (2)x8, and switches automatically
as a function of card presence detection. So if you installed
a video card and a Revodrive, each would have access to up to
x8 lanes. Or alternately, you could plug an Areca RAID card
with x8 interface, and it would work at full speed.

So what you want, is the P45 board you didn't buy, which was
a few dollars more. That would have done the job, and come
with two big slots to hold anything you could plug into them.

Since we're on the tail end of LGA775 generation, finding a
good motherboard now will be fun. I bought an LGA775 motherboard
a while back, and didn't get the one I wanted. I haven't checked
lately, to see what's left, but I would guess the picking
should be slim. Too many generations of LGA1156/LGA1366
exist, for good LGA775 motherboards to stick around.

Paul
Old October 30th 10, 12:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
(PeteCresswell)

Per peter:
?More money than sense???
Have you looked into the cost of that thing???
bet you looking at 800buck cost and you would still need to buy
a new motherboard.

I was figuring a couple hundred dollars for a 30-gigger. Now
that I'm writing this, of course I can't find the URL... but I'm
pretty sure that was the price range.

But even at $200, I'm not sure it's such a great idea. What
attracted me was the extremely fast boot time and no additional
noise.

Actually, I've got a RAID card in my box right now - used to
enable hot swapping on a SATA bay.... Although I don't know
diddly about RAID, I'm guessing that a couple/two/three drives as
Raid-2 could be made to boot a lot faster... and that might be a
solution too.
--
PeteCresswell