Dell Windows Vista to Windows 7 upgrade eligibility and registration:

Old June 26th 09, 12:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

Default Dell Windows Vista to Windows 7 upgrade eligibility and registration:

Registration page:
https://win7.dell.com/

Eligibility page with limitations and system requirements:
https://win7.dell.com/Eligibility.aspx

Apparently, qualifying Dell systems must have been purchased between June
26, 2009 and Jaunuary 31, 2010 .

Stew

Old June 26th 09, 02:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bill Ghrist[_4_]

S.Lewis wrote:
Registration page:
https://win7.dell.com/

Eligibility page with limitations and system requirements:
https://win7.dell.com/Eligibility.aspx

Apparently, qualifying Dell systems must have been purchased between June
26, 2009 and Jaunuary 31, 2010 .

Stew

In its great magnanimity Microsoft is also offering discount prices on
pre-orders of Windows 7 upgrades today (June 26) through July 11 (in the
USA). Home Premium for $49.99 (list $119.99), Professional for $49.99
(list $99.99). Limit three per customer. Also "There are a limited
number of copies available." (no indication of how many)

There is much bitching and moaning in the comments to the Microsoft
announcement (as well as other places) to the effect that M$ has a lot
of gall charging even that much, given all the negative feedback from
Vista users.

Both XP and Vista are eligible for this upgrade, but for XP it must be
done as a clean install.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy...pre-order.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...ws+7&x=15&y=15

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&type=category

Old June 26th 09, 09:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Rich" wrote in message
Wrong price for Professional. It is $99.99

As an aside, given that a clean install is needed for the XP Pro - Vista
Business upgrade, I wonder if it is safe to assume that ANY of the upgrade
discs are capable of a qualifying clean install?

Meaning, if I wanted to "upgrade" my XPS 420 (WinVista Home Premium 32) to
Win7 Home Premium, I'd simply prefer to perform a clean install rather than
a "true" upgrade.

I'm guessing that is possible with the proper Vista product key.

Old June 27th 09, 02:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bill Ghrist[_4_]

S.Lewis wrote:
[...]

Sorry--I garbled that. As you say, the discount price for Professional
is $99.99 (list $199.99).
Old June 28th 09, 04:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

"S.Lewis" wrote in
:

"Rich" wrote in message
Wrong price for Professional. It is $99.99

As an aside, given that a clean install is needed for the XP Pro -
Vista Business upgrade, I wonder if it is safe to assume that ANY of
the upgrade discs are capable of a qualifying clean install?

Meaning, if I wanted to "upgrade" my XPS 420 (WinVista Home Premium
32) to Win7 Home Premium, I'd simply prefer to perform a clean install
rather than a "true" upgrade.

I'm guessing that is possible with the proper Vista product key.

Same here. I'd prefer a clean install on two Vista Home Premium 32
machines that I have. The best information I've been able to find on
this so far is:

http://tinyurl.com/nab2fp

http://tinyurl.com/m63u4l
Old June 28th 09, 09:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Boris" wrote in message
5.209...
"S.Lewis" wrote in
:

"Rich" wrote in message
Wrong price for Professional. It is $99.99

As an aside, given that a clean install is needed for the XP Pro -
Vista Business upgrade, I wonder if it is safe to assume that ANY of
the upgrade discs are capable of a qualifying clean install?

Meaning, if I wanted to "upgrade" my XPS 420 (WinVista Home Premium
32) to Win7 Home Premium, I'd simply prefer to perform a clean install
rather than a "true" upgrade.

I'm guessing that is possible with the proper Vista product key.

Same here. I'd prefer a clean install on two Vista Home Premium 32
machines that I have. The best information I've been able to find on
this so far is:

http://tinyurl.com/nab2fp

http://tinyurl.com/m63u4l

Thanks for the links. Looks like the answer is 'yes', but spinning up the
upgrade media from the GUI, which is fine.