FYI: Upgrade from Windows XP to Vista procedure

Old January 24th 07, 02:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

Default FYI: Upgrade from Windows XP to Vista procedure

Here is a link (from Extremetech) for this info. --
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2082979,00.asp
Old January 24th 07, 03:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sparky Spartacus

RnR wrote:
Here is a link (from Extremetech) for this info. --
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2082979,00.asp

I find this whole Vista business very Shakespearean, i.e., "Much Ado
About Nothing".
Old January 24th 07, 05:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"Sparky Spartacus" wrote in message
RnR wrote:
Here is a link (from Extremetech) for this info. --
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2082979,00.asp

I find this whole Vista business very Shakespearean, i.e., "Much Ado About
Nothing".

But it is so preeetty

Old January 24th 07, 06:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

RnR wrote:
Here is a link (from Extremetech) for this info. --
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2082979,00.asp

I find this whole Vista business very Shakespearean, i.e., "Much Ado About
Nothing".

it is. and i think that microsoft is in for a rude awakening because the
motivation to upgrade from xp is nothing like that of the motivation there
was to upgrade from windows me/98/95. and the greater hardware requirements
makes it another reason not to upgrade. sure it will sell on new boxes,
particularly since they won't allow future oem sales on xp, but xp will be
around for a while.

Old January 24th 07, 08:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Von Fourche

RnR wrote:
Here is a link (from Extremetech) for this info. --
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2082979,00.asp

I find this whole Vista business very Shakespearean, i.e., "Much Ado
About Nothing".

it is. and i think that microsoft is in for a rude awakening because the
motivation to upgrade from xp is nothing like that of the motivation there
was to upgrade from windows me/98/95. and the greater hardware
requirements makes it another reason not to upgrade. sure it will sell on
new boxes, particularly since they won't allow future oem sales on xp, but
xp will be around for a while.

If people are slow to upgrade I wonder - will microsoft tweak the
software to make it run
on less powerful machines?

Old January 24th 07, 09:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

"My words fly up, my thoughts remain below"

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:37:38 -0500, Sparky Spartacus
wrote:

I find this whole Vista business very Shakespearean, i.e., "Much Ado
About Nothing".

Hmm...

- To be or not to be, that is NOT the question (it _will_ be in a
week or so).

- "But, soft! What light through yonder window s Vista breaks?
It is the east Redmond, and Juliet Bill Gates is the sun $$$$$."

And for you, Sparky:

- "Now is the winter of our discontent."

:-)
Old January 24th 07, 09:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ghostrider

RnR wrote:

Here is a link (from Extremetech) for this info. --
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2082979,00.asp

I find this whole Vista business very Shakespearean, i.e., "Much Ado About
Nothing".

it is. and i think that microsoft is in for a rude awakening because the
motivation to upgrade from xp is nothing like that of the motivation there
was to upgrade from windows me/98/95. and the greater hardware requirements
makes it another reason not to upgrade. sure it will sell on new boxes,
particularly since they won't allow future oem sales on xp, but xp will be
around for a while.

How true. When XP was introduced, there was very little motivation
amongst the Windows 2000 users to upgrade, in contrast to the users
who were running Windows 95/98. Even now, the only new XP units are
those that come delivered with it already installed. Nor does there
seem any temptation from the current Windows 2000 users to upgrade
to Vista.
Old January 25th 07, 09:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sparky Spartacus

wrote:

I find this whole Vista business very Shakespearean, i.e., "Much Ado
About Nothing".

Hmm...

- To be or not to be, that is NOT the question (it _will_ be in a
week or so).

- "But, soft! What light through yonder window s Vista breaks?
It is the east

west?

Redmond, and Juliet Bill Gates is the sun

moon?

$$$$$."

And for you, Sparky:

- "Now is the winter of our discontent."

Thanks, much appreciated.
Old January 26th 07, 12:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:32:28 -0500, Sparky Spartacus
wrote:

west?

ack... you're right. i have an excuse though -- i was sick the week
we learned in grade school. i still don't know what the state capital
of kalamazoo is ( i missed states and state capitals too ) ;-)
Old January 26th 07, 02:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Compared to the intro of XP, the lunch, er launch, of Vista has an entirely
different mix of computers already out there.

When the first crappy version of XP came out, the mix of computers running
earlier versions of Windows may have been something like 80% 98, 10% ME (poor
buggers), 10% 2000. So 90% of all the computer owners were living with the
DOS-based (even ME) product which had pathetic memory management, 512MB memory
limitation, and relatively low reliability. Computer owners were motivated to
move to XP, a potential solution to a wide range of problems they were having
with older versions of Windows.

So now Vista comes along and the mix of Windows computers is probably 90% XP and
10% other. In the ensuing years, XP has become a pretty stable and mature
platform with respectable memory management, no more DOS underneath, and support
for as much memory as most people need.

Microsoft is gonna get a comeuppance on this one. The stores that are dumb
enough to open at midnight to sell Vista will see one or two people staggering
in. The Vista product launch celebrations will be very ho hum, except that the
computer journalists will write all about Vista, as they have already. (Once
upon a time, computer journalists had the good sense and the high standards to
write little or nothing about beta products, which, after all, could change
markedly when finally released.) Why? Two reasons, IMHO. First, Microsoft
treats computer journalists like the journalists embedded in Iraq, so the
journalists have almost a Stockholm syndrome toward their captors, writing
largely articles largely sympathetic to Microsoft. Second, the journalists do
not have much to write about otherwise. CPU speeds have plateaued, as both
Intel and AMD pursue dual-core. LCD monitors are now priced affordably. Most
of the software in use is also pretty mature, except maybe for Office 2007,
another Microsoft concoction in search of a market.

Microsoft will get 99% of its sales of Vista from its inclusion in new systems
sold by the name brand vendors. The other 1% (Whoopee!) will be the upgrades.

Much Ado About Nothing. Definitely. Just my predictions, unclouded by too
many facts.

Or, from the ad world of a few years back: "Where's the beef?", the substance
that helps me be a more productive person... Ben Myers