Seagate STT20000A - Problems with compression

Old December 1st 03, 07:50 AM
David J Edgar

Default Seagate STT20000A - Problems with compression

Hi,

I've got a problem using hardware compression with a Seagate STT20000A IDE
Travan TR-5 tape drive.

I am using the backup program that is native to Windows 2000 Server and
can't get more than 10GB on a tape. These tapes should handle up to 20GB of
data if compressed. I have selected the 'use hardware compression if
available' option but the backup fails when 10GB has been written.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Seagate STT20000A (Firmware 8a51), Windows 2000 Server (SP4), Windows
Backup.

Dave.

--
David J Edgar
Cedaryacht Limited

Old December 1st 03, 12:06 PM
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage David J Edgar wrote:
Hi,

I've got a problem using hardware compression with a Seagate STT20000A IDE
Travan TR-5 tape drive.

I am using the backup program that is native to Windows 2000 Server and
can't get more than 10GB on a tape. These tapes should handle up to 20GB of
data if compressed. I have selected the 'use hardware compression if
available' option but the backup fails when 10GB has been written.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Seagate STT20000A (Firmware 8a51), Windows 2000 Server (SP4), Windows
Backup.

There is a mathematical limit to compressibility, called entropy.
You cannot compress better that the entropy contained, no matter what
algorithm. In practice, already compressed data can usually not
be compressed further. That includes video and audio that is
compressed. Since hardware compression can use little memory, it
usually does significantly worse than software compression tools.
It sometimes even enlarges pre-compressed data.

Arno

Old December 1st 03, 12:48 PM
David J Edgar

"Roger Crawford" wrote in message
http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3B328742

Thanks, but my STT20000A is an IDE ATAPI unit.

Dave.

Old December 1st 03, 12:49 PM
David J Edgar

wrote:
[...]

Thanks, but my problem is that no compression operation is attempted!

Dave.

Old December 1st 03, 04:35 PM
Arno Wagner

wrote:
[...]

How do you know that? Just because it fails after 10GB does not mean
it does not try to compress. Or is there some other way you can tell?
If your data is pre-compressed, there is no way in this universe
you can get any significant compression on it.

Maybe it tries to compress but does not succeed and therefore writes
the data uncompressed.

Arno

Old December 1st 03, 09:58 PM
bob

wrote:
[...]

GnuPG: ID:1E25338F FP:0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25

338F

Thanks, but my problem is that no compression operation is attempted!

How do you know that? Just because it fails after 10GB does not mean
it does not try to compress. Or is there some other way you can tell?
If your data is pre-compressed, there is no way in this universe
you can get any significant compression on it.

Maybe it tries to compress but does not succeed and therefore writes
the data uncompressed.

Arno

Check to see if your drive is already compressed. If it is, you will not
get compression on the tape

Old December 2nd 03, 06:39 PM
Paul F Schikora

In article ,
David J Edgar wrote:
Hi,

I've got a problem using hardware compression with a Seagate STT20000A IDE
Travan TR-5 tape drive.

I am using the backup program that is native to Windows 2000 Server and
can't get more than 10GB on a tape. These tapes should handle up to 20GB of
data if compressed. I have selected the 'use hardware compression if
available' option but the backup fails when 10GB has been written.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Seagate STT20000A (Firmware 8a51), Windows 2000 Server (SP4), Windows
Backup.

This drive is not capable of harware compression. The circuitry is just
not there. You must use software compression to get 10GB per tape.

http://www.certance.com/products/Cer...-TechSpec.html

Old December 3rd 03, 11:59 AM
David J Edgar

"Paul F Schikora" wrote in message
In article ,
David J Edgar wrote:
Hi,

I've got a problem using hardware compression with a Seagate STT20000A

IDE
Travan TR-5 tape drive.

I am using the backup program that is native to Windows 2000 Server and
can't get more than 10GB on a tape. These tapes should handle up to 20GB

of
data if compressed. I have selected the 'use hardware compression if
available' option but the backup fails when 10GB has been written.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Seagate STT20000A (Firmware 8a51), Windows 2000 Server (SP4), Windows
Backup.

This drive is not capable of harware compression. The circuitry is just
not there. You must use software compression to get 10GB per tape.

http://www.certance.com/products/Cer...-TechSpec.html

Thanks - not the answer I wanted but at least I know now.

Dave.

--
David J Edgar
Cedaryacht Limited

Cooling Problems Ignacy Sawicki Asus Motherboards 4 July 23rd 04 05:40 AM
RAID 0 problems no spam Homebuilt PC's 0 April 30th 04 06:18 PM
DirectX Problems! Faustus Homebuilt PC's 4 December 24th 03 10:42 PM
WinXP Boot problems *sigh* - UPDATE - Help? Phrederik General 0 August 29th 03 04:41 PM
HELP! Seagate 60GB & K&N2-L/MSI Phil S General 0 July 25th 03 09:46 AM