400 Mb/s ADC

Old November 21st 03, 06:43 AM
Jeff Peterson

If you want to get some real speed, then maybe something like the Atmel
TS8308500 (500 Mspl/s), TS8388B (1 Gspl/s) or TS83102G0B (Gspl/s) could be
of interest.
Going up to Giga Samples per second, would make your problem worse though
:-)

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/da...?family_id=611

I think we will try atmel...Jeff
Old November 21st 03, 06:46 AM
Jeff Peterson

The fastest slots on a PC Mainboard are the memory expansion slots.
It's an easy to design hardware interface and if you use a server
mainboard with multiple memory channels you get a hell lot of
bandwidth. I remember seeing a cryptoaccelerator on a DIMM somewhere
and SUN used to place graphics boards in memory slots.

hmmm...interesting idea
Old November 21st 03, 04:29 PM
Paul Smith

Ulf Samuelsson wrote:

If you want to get some real speed, then maybe something like the Atmel
TS8308500 (500 Mspl/s), TS8388B (1 Gspl/s) or TS83102G0B (Gspl/s) could be
of interest.
Going up to Giga Samples per second, would make your problem worse though
:-)

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/da...?family_id=611

When did Atmel start making flash ADCs? Can someone actually buy these
now? How much do they cost?

see:

http://dustbunny.physics.indiana.edu/~paul/hallDrd

for our "merely" 250 Msps particle physics project.

Paul Smith
Indiana University Physics

Old November 21st 03, 04:51 PM
Ulf Samuelsson

"Paul Smith" wrote in message
Ulf Samuelsson wrote:

If you want to get some real speed, then maybe something like the Atmel
TS8308500 (500 Mspl/s), TS8388B (1 Gspl/s) or TS83102G0B (2 Gspl/s)

could be
of interest.
Going up to Giga Samples per second, would make your problem worse

though
:-)

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/da...?family_id=611

When did Atmel start making flash ADCs? Can someone actually buy these
now? How much do they cost?

Yep, have been around for quite some time.

see:

http://dustbunny.physics.indiana.edu/~paul/hallDrd

for our "merely" 250 Msps particle physics project.

My guess is maybe $500 for the 1 G sample 8 bit devices.
2-3 x the price for the 2 G sample 10 bit device.
This is for commercial spec, mil spec devices are more expensive.

How many do you need?

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com

Old November 22nd 03, 02:50 PM
Morten Leikvoll

"Ulf Samuelsson" wrote in message

If you want to get some real speed, then maybe something like the Atmel
TS8308500 (500 Mspl/s), TS8388B (1 Gspl/s) or TS83102G0B (Gspl/s) could be
of interest.
Going up to Giga Samples per second, would make your problem worse though
:-)

Maxim also has the MAX104 (1 Ghz,) and MAX108 (1.5Ghz) and other lower
speeds in the range 500Mhz and up.

Old November 22nd 03, 10:52 PM
Peter Desnoyers

In article , Jeff Peterson wrote:
we will take about 64K samples, then can pause while processing...
however all the time we are pausing we are losing data. so we do want to
keep the duty cycle up. 50% duty cyle is not a problem. 5% would be.

It sounds like you *really* want to do the FFTs on PCs, rather than on
an outboard DSP. (for your application that might make sense, as you're
only building one or a few of these things, and software development
will be hugely easier) You might try "striping" the data across
multiple PCs. After the ADC, block the data into 64K "packets", and
have 2 or 3 links to FPGA "NICs" that receive blocks of 64k samples
(plus maybe a sequence number) and DMA them over PCI.

Even if you do try to convert to SCSI or Fibre Channel and use standard
adapters, you might still want to consider the striping idea.

--
.................................................. ....................
Peter Desnoyers (617) 661-1979

Old November 24th 03, 10:14 PM
John Williams

Jeff Peterson wrote:
The fastest slots on a PC Mainboard are the memory expansion slots.
It's an easy to design hardware interface and if you use a server
mainboard with multiple memory channels you get a hell lot of
bandwidth. I remember seeing a cryptoaccelerator on a DIMM somewhere
and SUN used to place graphics boards in memory slots.

hmmm...interesting idea

here's a reasonable place to start digging:

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/leong01pilchard.html

John

Old November 24th 03, 11:29 PM
Peter C. Wallace

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:29:08 -0800, Paul Smith wrote:

Ulf Samuelsson wrote:

If you want to get some real speed, then maybe something like the Atmel
TS8308500 (500 Mspl/s), TS8388B (1 Gspl/s) or TS83102G0B (Gspl/s) could
be of interest.
Going up to Giga Samples per second, would make your problem worse
though
:-)

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/da...?family_id=611

When did Atmel start making flash ADCs? Can someone actually buy these
now? How much do they cost?

see:

http://dustbunny.physics.indiana.edu/~paul/hallDrd

for our "merely" 250 Msps particle physics project.

Paul Smith
Indiana University Physics

One of the articles listed a price of $795 for the 2 Gspl/s converter in 1000's

Peter Wallace

Ultra DMA Ken Homebuilt PC's 28 November 14th 04 01:54 AM
Ultra DMA Ken Asus Motherboards 21 November 14th 04 01:54 AM
Need Help To Identify Maker of DDR400 DIMM card gmv Homebuilt PC's 6 August 28th 04 05:48 PM
memory too slow... Euclid Compaq Computers 4 May 10th 04 11:20 AM
Promise IDE/Intel IDE comparison - PATA - P4C800E-Deluxe Noozer General 8 January 18th 04 01:25 AM