Repost from this NG -Sept 3, 01- WTC

Old September 11th 03, 10:31 AM
7 Zark 7

Default Repost from this NG -Sept 3, 01- WTC

Here is an post concerning data backup, terrorism, and the World Trade Center
which was first put here on Sept. 3, 2001.

---
From: Thor Lancelot Simon )
Subject: Disaster Stories Needed
Newsgroups: alt.computer.consultants, alt.disasters.misc, comp.arch.storage
Date: 2001-09-03 20:18:29 PST

In article ,
James Donovan wrote:
(Thor Lancelot Simon) wrote in message

In article ,
James Donovan wrote:
Your "CIO" obviously doesnt know that fire, earthquake or terrorist
activities can destroy equipment and backup tapes stored onsite.
Wasn't he around for the WTC bombing? Companies in there lost tons of
data (among other things) that wasnt stored offsite. Geez he needs a
reality check.

Curiously enough, I would tend to expect that the CIOs of most American
companies do not consider terrorist bombing of their datacenters very
likely. Another example might be... more persuasive.

Oh yeah?
He should read :
http://www.panix.com/~clays/Una/

Are you aware of any bombings of datacenters, by the Unabomber or anyone
else, in the United States, in the past ten years?

How about twenty years?

How about ever?

The only thing I can think of that might qualify would be to categorize
someone's departmental servers in the Trade Center as a "datacenter", but
that kind of scare tactic generally works only on the foolish.

So, anyway, if I catch your drift, you're suggesting that the thing to do
in order to persuade some tightfisted CIO to spring for offsite backup is
to drop off a copy of Kaczinsky's manifesto on his desk. That seems like
a *great* idea. Why don't you try it and let us all know how it works?

However, next time I'm trying to sell someone something, myself, I think
I'll pick an example that he can actually relate to, like a flood or a
fire. Maybe I'm just stupid.