SD card problems

Old August 25th 18, 07:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S

Default SD card problems

On 8/24/2018 11:02 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Did you yet try the CrystalDiskMark tool to see what it says for various
file sizes used in the different tests?

If you get the same behavior on your friend's PC, I'd say try another
$15 64GB SD card but perhaps something other than Sandisk. Team is
another brand I'd stay away from. The Samsung EVO costs more but I've
not had problems with them. Currently bestbuy.com is selling it at $25.
walmart.com (and I mean Walmart, not a storefront for some other seller
at walmart.com) has it for $20 where you can have it shipped free to a
local store and should there be a problem you can return it to a store.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-6...pter/701252739
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=5785404

Those might be sale prices, so swing by your friend's house soon to test
your uSD card on his PC. Try CrystalDiskMark there, too.

Just in case the USB card reader might be the problem, you can get a new
uSD card with SD adapter and card reader for $20, like:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820239984
(but thats Adorama Camera operating a storefront at Newegg)

I think the card is junk and the EBAY seller isn't responding, I'll
chalk it up to learning not to bottom-feed.

Thanks for the recommendations, I bought a Samsung 64GB 100MB/s (U3)
MicroSDXC EVO Select, fingers crossed. Thanks!

Old August 25th 18, 01:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Mike S wrote:

Is Amazon better? What do you recommend as far as reputable SD card
sources? Thanks.

Just about every online seller, allows third-party sellers to sell
through their site. Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, Staples and so on,
do that sort of thing.

Going to your local computer store and buying, still doesn't
guarantee a thing, because counterfeits have been foisted
on commercial buyers too. In fact, one manufacturer in Japan,
warns customers to deal directly with it, because the level
of "Chinese knockoffs" is so high. The Chinese knockoff rate
was so high, it was ruining the company financially.

If Newegg can accept a shipment of Intel processors, where
the box contained an item other than a processor, just about
any major corporation can be tricked on this stuff. You
rely on distributors to not buy from dodgy sources, but
all it takes is one slip-up for this sort of thing to happen.

regarding whether they've ever had counterfeits
on the shelf. If it did happen, there's a very good
chance a disti did it, and not anyone on store staff.
It was likely beyond store control (the buyer at some
point, has to trust the distributor). The Newegg Intel
CPU incident, is a case in point. Still, that's
my best source. Using Ebay on the other hand, there
is zero effort to stop the practice - you expect a
screwing. An Ebay seller would take great pride in
shipping you a 1TB flash device, which actually has
an 8GB flash inside and the whole thing sells for $20.

I have only one computer store in town, with a good enough
product selection for this sort of impulse buy. The rest
sell schlock in any case. If you attempt to buy SD from
a camera store, expect to pay a premium price.

On SD, you should have a good idea before you go shopping,
of what "class" the application needs. I was shopping for
"Class 10" for my digital camera, when I bought an SD for it.
The camera cannot generate data that fast, so Class 10
ensures the Flash is never a bottleneck. More modern
devices (4K or higher cameras), might require some of the higher
end flash-based storage products.

On a laptop, you have the same considerations. Is the built-in
controller pure **** ? If so, then a proper Class 10 (not
a fake), might be all it can profit from. If the machine really
has a whizzy controller, then you'd shop for a better flash,
to take advantage of the I/O rate possible. You pay for I/O rate,
but there's no point in going overboard, if no device in
your house will even remotely approach that rate.

Paul
Old August 25th 18, 09:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Mike S wrote:

I think the card is junk and the EBAY seller isn't responding, I'll
chalk it up to learning not to bottom-feed.

You could start a return process at eBay whether the seller agrees or
not. I don't remember how long eBay requires you try to contact the
seller before opening a case with eBay. If eBay cannot get the seller
to respond, you should be cover by their Buyer Guarantee which means
they'll pay you back. I've done this with eBay a couple times (out of
so many transactions that it hasn't soured me at all on buying at eBay
but I do a lot of investigation first). One time eBay refunded me
without me even asking them. Turns out some ahole had sliced up an MS
Office 2003 volume license the result of which is that buyers eventually
couldn't revalidate their license. They refunded in about a month
perhaps due to complaints from others. It was 2 years before I realized
why they refunded when I could get Ofc2003 revalidated after a fresh
install of the OS.

Thanks for the recommendations, I bought a Samsung 64GB 100MB/s (U3)
MicroSDXC EVO Select, fingers crossed. Thanks!

Come back and tell us the results, especially with a comparison of
CrystalDiskMark with the old and new SD cards.
Old August 26th 18, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S

On 8/25/2018 1:34 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Mike S wrote:

[...]

I didn't get a chance to run the CrystalDiskMark but the file writing
was significanlty faster with the EVO. I think it was limited by the
speed of the USB external hdd the files were being copied from, on a
different computer writing from the SSD to the external hdd was about 23
MB/s if I remember correctly.

USB hdd to EVO in laptop SD card slow:
1% 21 MB/s
25% slowly dropped to 7.5 then increased to 11 MB/s
50% steadily increased to 18.2 MB/s
75% steadily increased to 22.6 MB/s
99% steadily increased to 24.7 MB/s

Thanks again for the recommendation, I'll be buying EVO from now on.

Mike
Old August 26th 18, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S

On 8/25/2018 5:17 AM, Paul wrote:
Mike S wrote:

[...]

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* regarding whether they've ever had counterfeits
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* on the shelf. If it did happen, there's a very good
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* chance a disti did it, and not anyone on store staff.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* It was likely beyond store control (the buyer at some
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* point, has to trust the distributor). The Newegg Intel
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* CPU incident, is a case in point. Still, that's
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* my best source. Using Ebay on the other hand, there
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* is zero effort to stop the practice - you expect a
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* screwing. An Ebay seller would take great pride in
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* shipping you a 1TB flash device, which actually has
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* an 8GB flash inside and the whole thing sells for $20.

[...]

Â*Â* Paul

Thanks Paul, the EVO write speeds were significantly faster, and
probably limited by the USB ext. hdd I was copying from, I don't have a
lot of music, and getting the files copied in 1hr. was a real pleasure.
Old August 26th 18, 03:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Mike S wrote:

[...]

That's what I got for EVO as an SSD in my desktop PC for the OS & app
drive. I looked around for awhile, checked benchmarks, and durability.
The Samsung 850 EVO 250GB was good ($88 at 16 months ago). The Pro
isn't faster (https://preview.tinyurl.com/y83p73uv) but should survive
more write hammering at a 150% price premium. Now there's the Samsung
860 500GB EVO for $109. I still use HDDs for data and backup storage
since the price per bit is still a lot lower than using SSDs.

My old mobo only has SATA2 slots (yep, not even SATA3). When I get a
new mobo, the SATA3 will speed up the old SSD which become a data drive.
I'll eventually get a new mobo with even faster NVMe (SATA was designed
for spinners versus NVMe for SSDs) as an m.2 PCIe boot drive. See:

https://www.grcooling.com/blog/nvme-...ime-to-switch/

Eventually the PCs will cold boot faster than it takes me to sit down in
my desk chair. Press power button, poof, ready.
Old August 26th 18, 04:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S

Mike S wrote:

[...]

Great article, thanks, the NVMe SSD numbers are impressive.