Asus P9X79 four short beeps

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 4th 18, 03:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

Default Asus P9X79 four short beeps

On 5/3/2018 7:34 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
On 5/3/2018 12:15 AM, Paul wrote:
Bill Anderson wrote:
Forgot to mention I ran Memtest on all 32 gigs for six hours last
night and there were no errors.

So it's probably not the RAM itself.

Something about the processor and its built-in memory
controller. Or the voltage regulators that power the
various parts there.

Â*Â*Â* Paul

I think you put me on the right path in your previous message, Paul, and
once again I thank you.Â* I've adjusted things in BIOS and reinstalled
all four RAM sticks and I'm showing 32 gigs of healthy memory and the
system has been booting flawlessly from shut-down state.Â* All I did was
go to the memory adjustments in BIOS and try to make everything as
untweaked as possible.Â* Here's how things look now:

https://goo.gl/D3x3L7

All this overclocking tweaking stuff is too much for me to even want to
figure out.Â* I do remember a few years back trying to tweak timings and
so forth, based on advice I'd either read on the internet or that you'd
given me.Â* I just don't remember.Â* Whatever, It had all been working
fine up until recently and I'd given it no more thought.Â* Something must
have goosed BIOS, I dunno.Â* It certainly wasn't me.Â* Maybe now I can
stop thinking about it again.

Of course things may all go south any time, but right now I'm feeling
pretty good about my current setup and I've stopped looking at the
latest and greatest Asus motherboards and Intel i7 processors.Â* Boy, you
can spend a lot of money on that stuff...

Thanks again.

And within 20 minutes of posting that I was back to the four beeps
again. I'm tired of this. My current build will be six years old in
September. It's time.

First step is an inventory of everything I have hanging off the P9X79.
I'll want to use as much of it as possible. But maybe my new MBO could
have more SATA III ports than the P9X79? I've had to get a PCIE card to
give me more SATA III ports. And I'd like USB3 internal blocks for USB
ports on the front of my case.

And I'd like to keep using my NZXT Kraken X61 RL-KRX61-01 liquid CPU
cooler, but apparently the only Intel processors it supports are 2011
/1366 /1156 /1155 /1150. Maybe there's an adapter. If not, I'll have to
get a new cooler, and I like the Kraken so much -- it's quiet and solved
my overheating problem -- I'll probably want to get one that fits
whatever new processor I come up with.

Let's see what I have in each of the P9X79's slots:

PCIEX16_1 slot
Silverstone PCI Express Card with USB 3.0 Internal Connector
Shouldn't need this if new MBO has internal USB 3.0 connection for front
panel

PCIEX1_1 slot
Hauppauge Colossus video capture card
I'll need this in the new build

PCIEX1_2 slot
ATI Theater 650 Video Card
It's a TV tuner card I'm no longer using. Guess I oughta pull it out.

PCIEX16_2 slot
GEFORCE GTX970 Video Card

PCI1 slot
Unoccupied as the video card covers it up

PCIEX16_3
StarTech 2 Port SATA 6 Gbps PCI Express SATA Controller Card
Shouldn't need this in new build if the MBO has plenty of SATA6 ports.

So what to get? This looks good, but expensive, ASUS PRIME X299-DELUXE
https://goo.gl/iWZhQY
It's got seven SATA 6 ports and it has one USB 3.1 Gen 2 front panel
connector port. Plus lots more USB.

It'll work with this processor, i7 Core X
https://goo.gl/kagSsV

And of course there's RAM. I'm thinking my 32 gigs of DDR3 was
overkill. Maybe 16 gigs for this one? A couple of these Corsair
Vengeance sticks?
https://goo.gl/NmfLRT

I want power for video editing, not so much for gaming, though the
Oculus Prime VR device looked interesting and I was disappointed when I
ran the routine to check my P9X79 and I learned I didn't have a
processor powerful enough. It's an i7 for heaven's sake!

I confess I'm at a loss about what I should do. I wouldn't even be
thinking about a new build if my P9X79 were dependable, but it's going
flaky and I don't want to mess around with it. I want a computer that
works.

Other ideas?

--
Bill Anderson