SR1210 - what's wrong?

Old November 3rd 04, 03:28 AM
old guy

Default SR1210 - what's wrong?

Bought my 1st Compaq - a SR1210NX. Should be adequate for email and
light surfing. However, I seem to have 2 problems. Took one back and
had Circuit City give me another - same model. Same problem. I can not
imagine I was given 2 PCs with the same flaws. Sooooo, the problem may
be mine. Here goes . . .
Speaker volume. Every sound application, including XP Volume applet,
shows volume all the way up. Keyboard volume keys show volume all the
way up. No volume control on the speakers - same ones that were on the
previous PC. Yet, volume is barely audible. Like someone talking in
the next room.
Modem. It connected to register but won't connect again - well, once,
but that's all. Keep getting 'modem not available' or 'modem in use.'
The modem passes the PC Doctor test. In addition, I put my password in
when I set up a connection, let's say "seven' but when I call up the
Connect box, the password has 14 black dots - have to re-enter the
password every time.
Looking for solutions.
Old November 3rd 04, 04:23 AM
HH

Most of todays PCs, including Presarios, require amplified speakers. Are
your speakers amplified? Most have volume controls.
HH