Upgrade Laptop to XP Pro?

Old October 1st 04, 12:34 PM
Bob Newman

Default Upgrade Laptop to XP Pro?

I have a Compaq R3120US that came with XP Home. I already own the XP Pro
upgrade and would like to install it on the laptop. Compaq says I can't do
it because the drivers they provide are for XP Home only. Is their claim
possible?

Thanks in advance... Bob

Old October 1st 04, 12:36 PM
Tom Scales

Nope. Core is the same. XP Driver is an XP Driver.

Having said that, what they likely meant was "If you do it, don't count on
any support from us -- you're on your own"

Old October 1st 04, 03:27 PM
DEJ57

The favorite line was "Compaq does not support that", meaning usually that
Compaq had not tested that option and, as Tom says, would not support you with
any additional tech support or help if you proceed with that option....

But their position did not mean that the option wasn't possible or that it
would not work just fine.

Dale
Old October 1st 04, 08:38 PM
HH

It'll work fine as the others noted. You will get Operating System tech
support from Microsoft instead of Compaq, that's all.
HH

Old October 9th 04, 07:51 AM
TheGarbageGuy

Different cores for the same OS?? Somehow I can see Microsoft doing that
just to get more money from the consumer.

Old October 9th 04, 12:17 PM
HH

Actually, you also can look at it the other way. Since XP Home is perfectly
suitable for a vast majority of home users, MS is giving a break by offering
the same core performance at lower cost.
HH

Old October 13th 04, 01:54 PM
TheGarbageGuy

Actually, you also can look at it the other way. Since XP Home is perfectly
suitable for a vast majority of home users, MS is giving a break by offering
the same core performance at lower cost.
HH

Good Point HH.........Never entered my mind