Serial ATA

Old May 19th 04, 12:41 PM
Paul

Default Serial ATA

I am looking to buy a serial ATA hard drive and I assume I need a controller
card as I don't think my motherboard has serial ata connections. RAID
controller cards appear to be cheaper than a serial ata contoller so if i
just bought a RAID card and serial ata hdd would this work or would I need a
serial ata host card as well?

Thanks in advance

Old May 19th 04, 01:31 PM

On Wed, 19 May 2004 12:41:25 +0100, "Paul" wrote:

I am looking to buy a serial ATA hard drive and I assume I need a controller
card as I don't think my motherboard has serial ata connections. RAID
controller cards appear to be cheaper than a serial ata contoller so if i
just bought a RAID card and serial ata hdd would this work or would I need a
serial ata host card as well?

Thanks in advance

Maybe Im not understanding the question but you defintely need a SATA
card for SATA hard drives.

Last time I checked I think the Silicon Image SATA controller cards
were also RAID cards too. And I think I saw them cheap at Ebay as Ive
posted - one of the FEW honest good deals on Ebay.

There were some venders selling them and maxtor cards etc.
Usually if you wait around near the end of the auction prices jump to
fairly lousy levels which makes the added risk of Ebay not even worth
it. Id rather get it at newegg no hassles. But final prices for the
cards seemed to be reasonable way under newegg etc and when I bought
my sata converters I got them with no hassles from a vendor there.

Go to ebay and search Silicon Image
and youll see "serial ATA (SATA) Raid cards"
with buy it now $14 to 20 prices.

Im not vouching for the cards OR the vendors.
Do your own research there.

Old May 19th 04, 01:48 PM
Paul

I have seen a card on the ebuyer website:

The reason I was asking was as I thought it would be better to have the
option to use RAID if I wanted to and this RAID card is cheaper than a SATA
card. With this card would I simply be able to plug an SATA HDD into it with
out the need for any other hardware? My alternative is to not bother with
the RAID option and go for a card like this:

Again would a card like this be as simple as plugging in and a little bit of
setup?

Thanks for your help

Old May 19th 04, 02:01 PM

On Wed, 19 May 2004 13:48:01 +0100, "Paul" wrote:

I have seen a card on the ebuyer website:

The reason I was asking was as I thought it would be better to have the
option to use RAID if I wanted to and this RAID card is cheaper than a SATA
card. With this card would I simply be able to plug an SATA HDD into it with
out the need for any other hardware? My alternative is to not bother with
the RAID option and go for a card like this:

Thats just an ATA card not SATA , it does have raid though.
If you bought a SATA HD it wouldnt connect to it , which is way more
expensive last time I looked than IDE but who knows maybe there are
cheap deals now I havent looked recently only saw one in an ad that
was gross. It was a dinky 30 gig for about he same price as a 120 gig
ATA .

Again would a card like this be as simple as plugging in and a little bit of
setup?

Thanks for your help

If you want SATA and raid at a later date then you have
to get a card that say SATA + RAID.

Ive got one built into my board but am using two IDE HDs with adaptors
on the SATA controller.

You need something like this :
Old May 20th 04, 02:59 AM
Edward A. Weissbard

Hey Trent,

Thats a pretty funny quote you have there!!!

Edward
El Paso, TX

"Trent©" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 May 2004 12:41:25 +0100, "Paul" wrote:

I am looking to buy a serial ATA hard drive and I assume I need a

controller
card as I don't think my motherboard has serial ata connections. RAID
controller cards appear to be cheaper than a serial ata contoller so if i
just bought a RAID card and serial ata hdd would this work

No.

or would I need a
serial ata host card as well?

You can get a combo card.

But...if yer gonna get a 7200 rpm SATA drive, I wouldn't waste the
money. The only SATA drives that are worth gettin' are the Western
Digital Raptor 10,000 rpm drives...and they ain't cheap, per byte.

But they're worth every penny of it!

If yer gonna get a 7200 rpm drive or a 5400 rpm drive, then go for the
RAID controller...for whatever reason you think you need one.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Serial ATA Question Zed General 5 February 26th 04 03:45 PM
Does burning a CD image to CD overwrite serial #? Dos-Man General 1 November 27th 03 09:48 AM
USB, Parallel Scanner, Serial Joystick The Kid General 2 September 1st 03 04:38 AM
serial to parallel adapter Old guy General 2 July 30th 03 11:11 PM