Utopian Printer Corporation

Old March 4th 05, 09:28 AM
Jim Howes

Default Utopian Printer Corporation

I think I've arrived in Nirvana, or something very much like it.

After a lifetime(?) herding various items of machinery and networking
components, printers have always been a significant pain in the nethers
as users find new and interesting ways of making them jam, crash, leak,
spew thousands of sheet of paper, or in extreme cases, halt and catch fire.

A while ago, I deployed a number of Kyocera FS-1020DN printers. The
basic (non-network) model is about £150ish+VAT. The network interface
virtually doubles that price, but it was worth it. The thing accepts
print jobs via netbeui, novell, appletalk, lpd, and for some reason, can
download and print jobs via email once you tell it where it's pop3
server is. Duplex built in, speaks PCL and Postscript (and a few other
unimportant ones), sends status reports (out of toner, paper jam, etc.)
via email, SNMP-capable, reasonably fast. About the only thing it
doesn't do is make good coffee.

The process unit (basically a developer/drum cartridge), which is
designed to last the lifetime of the printer, started marking pages.
Quite how the users made it do that, I don't know (and I dare not ask),
so I called kyocera for advice, and a new process unit turned up the
next day by courier. No charge, no need to return the old one, just
shove some toner in it and go.
Next, users recently noticed that pages were being marked by the paper
tray pickup roller (which Kyocera call a 'feed tyre'). I emailed their
support desk who stated that they had changed the design of that roller
recently because of precisely this problem, and would I like a repalcement.
Next day, the replacement shows up, by courier again no less, despite
weighing about 20g and being about 3" x 1"dia.

I'm only posting all this to point out that there are still some
manufacturers out there who stand by their products. I still think that
by todays standards, Kyocera have overstepped the mark as far as
customer service is concerned. About the only way they could do better
would be to parachute an engineer in to replace the part themselves,
although the procedure is something anyone can do (although I don't
think I'll let the users loose with it, just yet ;-).

So, if you are looking for a mono laser printer with decent support, I
can't recommend them enough.
Old March 5th 05, 01:20 AM
News Reader

"Jim Howes" wrote in message
I think I've arrived in Nirvana, or something very much like it.

After a lifetime(?) herding various items of machinery and networking
components, printers have always been a significant pain in the nethers
as users find new and interesting ways of making them jam, crash, leak,
spew thousands of sheet of paper, or in extreme cases, halt and catch

fire.

A while ago, I deployed a number of Kyocera FS-1020DN printers. The

Hi,

When researching laser printers I have long thought that Kyoceras products
stand out as being quietly superior offerings to most others. It is nice to
hear this confirmed from someone by first hand experience.

The simple fact that they do not try to sell drums / etc. as necessary
replacement parts expected to have to be bought during the lifetime of the
printer is great. Likewise, their product and toner prices seem competitive
with comparable quality (of printer output and product) to some of the best
manufacturers on the market.

Thanks for your post.

Best wishes,

News Reader