Dell - Addonics DigiDrive conflict

Old August 18th 04, 02:16 AM
Lil' Abner

Default Dell - Addonics DigiDrive conflict

This is a cut and paste of a post I made in microsoft.windowsme.general.
Subject of the post was "Hide A: drive?"
-------
I've spent half a day trying to make an Addonics Ultra DigiDrive Reader
co-exist with the floppy drive on a Dell Dimension 4100. The short of it
is that the floppy drive uninstalls itself in BIOS. It doesn't really
make sense, since the reader is an IDE device. After calls and emails to
Addonics, a bios upgrade and different combinations of master and slave,
I've given up. The floppy works fine when the Reader is not attached. I
hooked the thing up to one of my computers and had no problem.
So the customer decides he can live without the floppy. I physically
removed it, disabled it in bios. Computer boots fine, device manager does
not show a FDD controller or a drive. BUT, A: drive still shows up in My
Computer and Windows Explorer. If you click it in either one it locks the
computer up tighter than a drum. His Panda Antivirus locks it up trying
check A: drive. It locked up trying to find my "default monitor" (looking
for drivers on disk).
So the obvious answer would be "don't click on it" and set Panda not to
check it (if you can), make sure "floppy disk" is unchecked on any
hardware
installation. But sooner or later something is going to call for it and
lock it up.
So my question is... how do I get A drive to go away totally?
The operating system is Millenium.
-------
Now, of course, I'd love to solve the hardware problem, but as you can
see, I have pretty well given up on it. There was a followup to the post,
but everything the guy suggested I had tried already, besides having
downloaded the manual for the DigiDrive. Personally I think it's
something between that Dell motherboard and the DigiDrive since it worked
fine on one of my other computers.
To clarify... the DigiDrive is recognized whether the floppy drive is
hooked up or not. And the floppy works fine with the DigiDrive
disconnected.
But if anybody has any ideas, I'm open to them!
Thanks...

--
I child-proofed my house but they are still getting in.
Old August 19th 04, 09:21 AM
Lil' Abner

Problem solved.. in the windowsme group.

"Lil' Abner" wrote in
:

This is a cut and paste of a post I made in
microsoft.windowsme.general. Subject of the post was "Hide A: drive?"
-------
I've spent half a day trying to make an Addonics Ultra DigiDrive
Reader co-exist with the floppy drive on a Dell Dimension 4100. The
short of it is that the floppy drive uninstalls itself in BIOS. It
doesn't really make sense, since the reader is an IDE device. After
calls and emails to Addonics, a bios upgrade and different
combinations of master and slave, I've given up. The floppy works fine
when the Reader is not attached. I hooked the thing up to one of my
computers and had no problem. So the customer decides he can live
without the floppy. I physically removed it, disabled it in bios.
Computer boots fine, device manager does not show a FDD controller or
a drive. BUT, A: drive still shows up in My Computer and Windows
Explorer. If you click it in either one it locks the computer up
tighter than a drum. His Panda Antivirus locks it up trying to