What GPU is most future-proved for a new PC ?

Old May 3rd 09, 06:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Antonio Huerta

Default What GPU is most future-proved for a new PC ?

Hi there,

I have a 2 year-old PC with an ATI HD3870 videocard in it which I am
using for gaming (first person shooters). I am going to assemble a new
PC by the end of the year. Understandably, I want to make it a future-
proved as much as possible.

And the future is, as I gathered from reading the news, is coming
DirectX 11, which is just an extention of DX10. No games are
supporting DX10 exclusively yet, and it is not a fact yet that the
games will go a road of DX10/DX11.

The other area of concern is PhysX capability of the nVidia card. ATI
cards do not have it and are not going to have it in the nearest
incarnations... again, it is not clear yet whether the future gaming
will go the PhysX road.

I was also thinking getting Windows 7 on my new computer.

Anyway, my question is, what card (from nVidia or AMD/ATI) should I
get ? Should I postpone getting a new computer, so that to get a much
more future-prooved configuration.

Old May 4th 09, 07:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Man-wai Chang ToDie (+MS=V32B)

Anyway, my question is, what card (from nVidia or AMD/ATI) should I
get ? Should I postpone getting a new computer, so that to get a much
more future-prooved configuration.

You can't buy the future. You should always buy what you could afford.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 9.04) Linux 2.6.28-11-generic

Old May 15th 09, 09:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Antonio Huerta

On May 5, 2:41*am, (GMAN) wrote:
In article , Antonio Huerta wrote:

Hi there,

I have a 2 year-old PC with an ATI HD3870 videocard in it which I am
using for gaming (first person shooters). I am going to assemble a new
PC by the end of the year. Understandably, I want to make it a future-
proved as much as possible.

And the future is, as I gathered from reading the news, is coming
DirectX 11, which is just an extention of DX10. No games are
supporting DX10 exclusively yet, and it is not a fact yet that the
games will go a road of DX10/DX11.

The other area of concern is PhysX capability of the nVidia card. ATI
cards do not have it and are not going to have it in the nearest
incarnations... again, it is not clear yet whether the future gaming
will go the PhysX road.

Google OpenCL

Gee, I thought for a while that you are talking about OpenCL-something
protocol developed by Google. And I thought: what relation Google has
for it ?? But then I saw posts of the other people..

I was also thinking getting Windows 7 on my new computer.

Anyway, my question is, what card (from nVidia or AMD/ATI) should I
get ? Should I postpone getting a new computer, so that to get a much
more future-prooved configuration.- Hide quoted text -

Old May 19th 09, 03:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Victor

On May 3, 1:48*am, Antonio Huerta wrote:
[...]

You should match your card to your monitor.1280x1024 or 1440x900 get
the 9800gt or gtx+. 1650 x 1080 or 1920x1200 get the 260 or 275.
2560×1600 the 285 or 295 .Which ever card you get will be obsolete in
3 years anyway,
sell it and get the newer tech.
I just built a new system and went with an asus am2+ am3 board,amd
7750 kuma cpu,2gigs kingston 1066 ddr2 and EVGA 9800gtx+.Nice and
inexpensive.My monitor is 1280 x1024.The motherboard excepts Phenom2
am3 and can be upgraded as needed.